*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1098918-Kael-the-Beginning
by Valor
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #1098918
A child/creature. His destiny before him. The beginning on Road of Darkness.
The mist was thick, making for poor visibility. Had there been anyone around, they still wouldn’t have noticed as the shrouded woman crept noiselessly through the small village. Keeping to shadows, none were the wiser to her presence as she made her way to the large court that was the town’s center. All roads were in some way connected to it, making it the perfect spot for her to deposit her burden. Kneeling by the flag pole that was in the very center of the square she opened the front of her robe and gently placed a woven basket lined with many thick fabrics. As quickly and quietly as she had entered the village, she was gone. No traces left behind except the surprise which the town would discover the next day.

It was the high pitched cry of a small babe that alerted the townsfolk to presences of the basket. On and on it wailed, but none would approach it. It was the midwife who was inclined to deal with these situations and so the small crowd that had gathered waited while she was informed. The mist had not yet been lifted as the chill of the night clung to the Earth. It battled with the sun’s breaking and was finally defeated, as the ancient midwife arrived in her ceremonial gown.

Its bland colors were not as spectacular
as they had once been, though the midwife herself had increased tenfold the power which she once had. She was said to be able to rub the life back into stillborn children and could even foresee the future of the young one by merely touching its skin with her palm. This morning however, she was not prepared for what she would find.

Pulling back the covers that so warmly cradled the small youth, she looked upon the face of the babe, unsure of herself for the first time in so many years. After a moments pause to consider all ends, she removed the baby boy to display him to the now much larger group of villagers. Here she spoke to those around her.

“Look now upon this child.” It was impossible not to. He was unlike anything they had ever seen. “Look now upon the face of change, the face of prophecies.” The boy’s face was indeed a sight to behold. Large purple eyes blinked at the onlookers. More astonishing was the long thin pointed ears that hooked around the sides of his head, almost meeting in the back. His skin was tanned brown and he looked as though he were already a couple years old for his size, though his mannerisms were that of a newborn. “This child shall do great things in his lifetime, great and powerful things. Who now will take on the task of caring for him?” None replied. “Lost he will be with no one to look after him so again I ask, who will take this child in?” Scanning the crowd, the midwife was met with avoiding glance and blank stares.

Daunted and troubled she implored the group again, but none could look upon the child with love. Each person turned away until at last, they called for the midwife to send the boy away. No person could say why, but the appearance of the youth made them uneasy and gave them a need to be rid of him. “You would send this child to his death for what he can not control. He is no monster, merely an abnormality of life. Great things will come from him; I see it in his heart. Please, someone must take him.”

Despite the efforts of the Midwife, the villagers could not be swayed and so she left the town, child in hand in search for a home. It became evident soon that she would not be able to persuade anyone into taking him in and so she returned to her small home just outside of the village. The contents of the basket in which he had arrived gave only one bit of information about the boy on a small shred of paper. It was the name Kael.
Chapter two

The boy Kael was fortunate that he grew quickly, for at only four years old he was left alone when the midwife died in her sleep. At the size of a normal eight year old and the mind of one perhaps a bit older, he was clever enough to survive unaided. As he grew he lived by stealing what he needed at night from the nearby village. Though he had no memory of ever being there, he had heard the midwife speak of it to the various guests she had over the last couple years of her life. Kael, always hidden, would listen to her speak to these people. He wondered why he must hide, but in these sessions he learned a great deal about imports and exports and what stores were where so that when the midwife was gone he was already knowledgeable enough to find the town and take what he needed.

It wasn’t until his first attempt to locate the village that he realized why he must hide in view of others. Walking down the dirt path he found several girls who were bigger than him. As he was about to speak, they spotted him. Their screams hurt his sensitive ears and he had to cover them until the sound had stopped. As he let go of his ears he reopened his eyes to find he was alone. It was the last time he tried to talk to anyone for several years.

His routine was simple. He sat in the trees beyond the town and looked on until it was dark and everyone was inside. Then he would climb down and sneak into the village; careful of any whom might have been hidden to his view. The night watchmen were easy enough to avoid. There routes were always the same. Up one street and down another. The occasional nap in an alley or sometimes a visit to a lady friend made it all the easier for Kael to get in and out undetected. This was his way of life and it went on this way for seven years.

It was a late December night when Kael arrived for his supplies. He hated the snow because he had come into a habit of covering his trail and the snow did not help his efforts. With a few chickens in hand that he hand snatched from a coop and killed, he was just about to leave when he saw that the butcher shop door had been left open a crack. Silently moving to the door, he tried to scan the room but there was no light to see by. He pushed lightly and it opened a little more. He could see the counter top, but nothing else. Slow as possible, he inched the door open wide enough so that he could fit through. Once he was in he closed the door most of the way so any guards passing by would not notice and get suspicious.

Feeling around in the darkness, he reached the counter and began searching for anything he could take back with him. Kneeling beside the butchers block, he was caught completely by surprise as a man yelled, Now! Blinded in the dark, he was helpless as a net was thrown over him and he was pummeled by three or four unseen attackers with heavy clubs. Kael howled in pain and fear, but fell silent as a blow struck him in the head, rendering him unconscious.

Discombobulated, Kael woke to find that he couldn’t move his hands and feet. He was also blindfolded and had no sense of his surroundings. As he struggled to free himself he heard people talking. “It’s waking up,” one voice said. Another cried out, “everybody just back up and keep quiet. Don’t startle it.”

Kael stopped moving and listened very hard. He could tell there were other people around by the way they shuffled there feet and whispered quietly. He was too afraid to speak and so waited to see what would happen next. “What is it?” A woman asked. Kael knew she was talking about him. “Does it talk?” Others were asking questions to some unseen person. No answers were given, but the crowd kept on shouting different ideas. “It’s a monster. Kill it!”

Kael was horrified. They wanted to kill him. Some near to him finally spoke. “Now everyone just calm down. I assure you, we will deal with the monster momentarily. In the meantime, just relax.” The crowd was quiet a moment and Kael wondered what was going on. Murmurs started and turned into cheers. Unaware of what was going on, Kael began to struggle once more for fear that he would be beaten again. All at once, the cheers stopped.

“Attention everybody,” the nearby voice boomed over the silence. “Let your worries be put to rest. The executioner is here.” Kael did not possess an extensive vocabulary, but ‘the executioner’ was a phrase he had heard several times at the midwives. He couldn’t say what it was exactly, but he knew it involved his head being removed from his body. This was not an encouraging thought and so he struggled harder now and from somewhere deep inside him he heaved mightily against his restraints. All his fear was placed into it and all at once he felt his bonds break with a loud SNAP! As he pulled off the blindfold he found that his legs were still restrained be metal links.

Pushing himself up to his knees Kael looked back at the now horrified audience. The man who had been talking to the crowd backed away as a man with a large metal battleaxe looked at him through a mask. Not knowing what to do, Kael stayed where he was looking at the man with the axe. His purple eyes searched for an answer, but not finding any he resolved to panic. His body shook in fear and he began to cry. The crowd was not expecting this and was taken aback. Here, in the center of town was a creature the size of a man crying like a young boy. Kael sobbed loudly, his head hung. He would shock everyone there with what he did next. “Please, don’t hurt me no more. I won’t take nothin’ else, I promise.” Between broken cries he spoke. “I just was hungry but you can have them chickens back. I don’t even want ‘em no more.” He couldn’t speak anymore for the build up in his throat. He was so upset he thought he might get sick.

The villagers were in a stunned silence. The sheriff stood dumbfounded next to the executioner, jaw hanging slightly. Kael could do nothing but cry. It was then that a small girl came up to him and knelt beside him. He wondered what she would do to him, but she just sat and said nothing. Kael looked at her, his tears and sobbing slowed. “Rachel, get away from it! He’ll kill you!” The sheriff snapped at his daughter and everyone else just waited, anticipating.

The girl who was Rachel ignored him. She reached her hand towards Kael and wiped a tear off his cheek. “It’s okay. Don’t cry anymore, monster.” She took his hand in hers and rubbed it soothingly so Kael would know she wasn’t trying to hurt him. The sheriff began getting very angry as the initial fear wore off. “Its okay, daddy; he’s nice, see.” Rachel continued to stroke Kael’s hand and he could only look at her with wonder.

“I said get away from it!” The sheriff walked over and grabbed his daughter. When she was firmly moved aside, he drew his club and brought it over his head to strike Kael. “Insufferable demon,” he said with malice. Before he could strike, Kael fell to the ground and covered his head, sobbing aloud all over again.

The members who had been looking on finally came to their senses. They spoke up the creature, seeing him as less threatening. “Hey, leave him alone,” said one. “He’s afraid, can’t you see that,” another chipped in. Before long the whole village was in an uproar over the impending brutality. The sheriff, outmatched, put down his club and raised his hand to indicate he wanted to speak. When all was again in order he spoke again.

“If you wish for mercy than I shall grant it.” He paused as if to consider the options. “But if this creature so much as growls at me, I will have his head upon a stake.” Kael, worried the sheriff would change his mind, stayed on the ground with his head covered. Cautiously, guards cuffed him and brought him to his feet. Trying to resist as little as possible, he did what he was told and was escorted by the entire town to the Jail.
Chapter Three

“Who are you?” The sheriff and his men stood across from Kael at a large rectangular table. The room was bright from the sunlight streaming in the windows. Kael didn’t like being in front of so many people, especially with so much light on him.

“Kael.” He replied shortly, unsure of what else to say.

“What are you?” Keeping a close eye on his captive, the sheriff continued his questioning.

Kael was at a loss for words. He had always been told by the midwife that he was a boy, but he could never understand why he looked so different. “I am a boy.”

The men exchanged doubtful glance and whispered skeptical words. “You are no boy, monster. You are much too big and even so, you wouldn’t be considered a man either so I will ask you again. What are you?”

Tears started rolling again. Kael did not wish to displease the sheriff for fear of another assault, but he didn’t have any other answer. “I am just a boy, nothing else.”

The routine was growing old and the sheriff was a man of little patience. “I say you are not and yet you persist. Tell me, boy,” he sneered as he spat the last word. “What age would a boy your size be? You are larger than some men I know.”

“I am eleven.” Kael did not see a way to convince the group of men as he himself could see that no boy his age was close to his size.

“If you are a boy, where are your parents? Are there others like you?”

He was sad to think of the subject. The midwife told him that he had no parents, that nobody wanted him because he was special. “I have no parents. Ms. Ebby told me I was the only one of my kind and it makes me special.”

“Who is Ms. Ebby?”

“She was the midwife of this town before she died.”

The sheriff froze. He was remembering something from over a decade ago. A child, held in the hands of the midwife. It was a boy with dark purple eyes and long, pointed ears. “My God. You are the baby from all those years ago. The one nobody wanted.” Kael did not like calmness in the sheriff’s voice. It was as if it didn’t matter that nobody wanted him. It mattered to Kael very much.

The other men in the room began remembering also. One man spoke up, “she told us she had got rid of you.” Another said, “We heard that you were dead.” The group clamored back and forth as to what the real story had been.

“Enough!” Shouted the sheriff. “Clearly we can see that the creature is here now and the question to answer is what to do with him.” This left the guards at a loss for words. No one had any ideas so the sheriff started by giving an explanation of the situation at hand. “It is apparent that he is a known thief. While he has not been aggressive or uncooperative, we can rule out letting him go.” Kael felt his stomach turn over. “However,” the sheriff continued, “he has not done anything worthy of an execution to our knowledge so we can not kill him. Not yet anyway.” Kael wasn’t sure whether to be relieved at that statement. “So do we jail him? Even so, for how long? He is only eleven, if he is the midwives secret child.” The sheriff began pacing. “What to do, what to do?”

Kael thought he had a solution. “I won’t steal no more if you let me go. I won’t even come back here.” It sounded alright to him, but the sheriff just kept pacing along the tableside, wondering what to do. A small voice from the doorway spoke up.

“Why don’t you just make him pay for what he took?” Rachel was standing in the middle of the door frame looking at he father.

“Rachel, you have defied me enough today. Go home and I will deal with you there.” The girl hung her head and walked out of the jail house, tears in her eyes.

“I can pay.” Kael was anxious for any solution that involved him being untied and let out of the gaze of the group of men. Stopping his pace, the sheriff turned back towards the restrained figure. Kael took this as a sign of hope and began getting frantic. “Yeah, I’ll pay, let me pay, I can pay for it.”

“You have money to pay for all that you’ve taken?” The sheriff resumed his pacing, waiting for an answer.

Again Kael started crying as he shook his head. He realizes that, although the idea of paying for what he had taken sounded good, his extent of knowledge about money was only that he had none. He had seen it a few times when people had come to the midwife for various trinkets, but that was all.

After a long stare at Kael while considering what would be done, the sheriff spoke to one of his guards. “What is the cost of all that the creature has taken from this town?” His man looked at a list made up by the butcher and then, after some calculations gave the sheriff his best estimate.

“The three chickens he has killed from the butcher Janssen are 2 bits a piece. So… six plus the damages caused during his capture puts the total around 26 bits, sir.” Rechecking the math, the guard stepped back into the group and fell silent.

“That is not what I asked for. I asked what the cost was for all that he has stolen from this town. He claims he is eleven years old which means he has been stealing from us these past eleven years. I think it’s safe to say that he owes vastly more than 26 bits, wouldn’t you agree.” Murmurs of agreement passed through the group. “It would be foolish to take inventory of all that has been lost over that time, so it seems we are in a difficult situation, doesn’t it Kael?” The sheriff finished his statement by turning to the restrained creature.

This was the first time he had heard his name spoken in many years. He nodded, although he wasn’t sure whether concurrence would be a damning action. Everyone waited while the sheriff went into another long spell of thought. He paced the path he had been walking all morning and, finally, had a solution.

“A creature with the capacity of an eleven year old boy has no place in a prison cell. Likewise, a thief, especially one as successful as you have been has no place in society. Therefore, there is only one solution that is fitting.” He approached Kael, reaching under his long black jacket. Too afraid to see what he would draw from beneath the cloak, Kael shut his eyes tight hoping he would not receive another hit on the head.
Chapter Four

The heat of the early afternoon was savage. The air was so heavy, it was hard to breathe. With the sun almost directly overhead, there was no shade to hide in during the long hours of work that needed to be done. The butcher Janssen, however, was enjoying the day immensely. Not that he desired the uncomfortable heat, but rather that he need not walk back and forth across the village in the sweltering weather to retrieve animals from the barn to be butchered. A smile cracked on his plump, sweaty face as he saw his next job arriving. It was a very large sow, one he himself had been feeding and tending since it was born. Now it was upwards of four hundred pounds. Janssen had always worried about how he was going to get the beast up to the butcher shop, as it was the most ornery pig he had ever seen. He smiled at the thought now, grateful of the sheriff’s insight.

“You bring that pig right in here, boy.” Janssen called out. Obligingly, Kael did as he was told and with the wriggling, squealing sow over his shoulders, he ducked into the shed behind Janssen.

“She give you a good fight when you nabbed her, son?” Janssen asked while he cleared a spot on the dirt floor.

“No sir, not terribly.” Kael answered. “She did dig me a few times when I brought her down, but I got hold of her easily enough.” Kael, holding onto the struggling pig by her bound hooves, lifted it off his shoulders and set it on the cleared spot on the floor. Trying to escape quickly he said, “I’ll be around if you need me, sir,” and made a path for the door.

“Wait a minute now, boy. I’m not done with you yet.” Janssen motioned for him to come back. Kael knew what he wanted, and dejectedly came back to where Janssen wanted him. “This ain’t your first day; you know what these pigs can do if they ain’t restrained.”

Crouching down, Kael pressed down on the sow’s thick body. Janssen had walked over to the corner and returned with a heavy axe. Standing over the pig’s head he nodded to Kael to be sure he was ready. Kael, holding the beast firmly, nodded back and tensed his body, preparing for the impact.

Janssen brought the axe up over his head, swiftly bringing it back down into the neck of the sow. She squealed and kicked wildly, her strength was impressive to Kael. Janssen swore. He brought the axe up again, plunging it into the pig. Still it writhed in agony. Janssen had missed his mark with the dull axe and the tortured animal continued to thrash violently. “Hold her down, Damn it. I’m gonna grab the maul.” With that, he disappeared out the door. Kael was left with the squealing death cries of the pig; blood spattered across his tensed face and Kael gritted his teeth, struggling to restrain the animal. It’s cries were piercing his sensitive ears.

When what seemed like forever had passed and Janssen had still not returned, Kael let the pig go and lunged to reach the axe that had been left on the floor. Bringing it high up, he hesitated before coming down with it into the animal for the third time. Unlike the butcher, Kael’s blow had gone straight through the sow’s chunky neck. She no longer squealed, although her body still convulsed from shock. Dropping the axe, Kael knelt and restrained the animal until its body stopped kicking. When he stood up again Janssen was in the doorframe, looking on at the scene.

“Unbelievable. You sure are some kind of strong, ain’t you boy.” Kael said nothing, but wiped the blood from his face and walked over to shake Janssen’s hand. “Tomorrow we’re gonna need to do another cow. You be here at seven, all right?” He shook his head to show he understood, but was somewhat queasy from what he had done.

Just as he was out the door Janssen hollered to him. “Kael, I need you to lift this beast onto the table for me.” Kael turned around knowing the end to this day was still a long ways away.

Night finally came as it had everyday for the last nine years. Though tired and drained, Kael was glad to be finished. He had not been able to let go of the incident with the pig earlier that day and he needed a rest to recuperate. No sooner had he entered the yard than a big, vicious dog waddled out to meet him on the property. It was the sheriff’s dog. He had bought it to keep Kael under guard. Kael hated the beast more than anything he had ever known.

As the dog reached him it began to growl, but a soft voice from the house beyond called it back. “Bub, get away from him.” The dog that was Bub gave a last snarl and returned to where it had been beneath the porch. Kael gratefully strode up the rest of the way to the house to meet Rachel. She stood on the porch, arms crossed but with a slight smile. “You’re late. Daddy was all but ready to let that dog out to find you.”

Smiling back, “Crathmore, the man who owns the inn, he needed wood split enough for five rooms for five days. Silly when you consider its about one hundred degrees out.”

Rachel uncrossed her arms and put a hand on Kael’s shoulder. “He was just puttin’ you on, I imagine. Everybody wants somethin’ for nothin’ you know.” Kael shook his head and walked up the stairs onto the porch. “I’ll tell daddy you’re here. He’ll be right out.” Rachel gave Kael another smile and vanished inside. She was beautiful and Kael lived for this time of the day when he could see her, even for a few moments.

“Where you been.” It was the sheriff who interrupted Kael’s harmonies visions of Rachel.

“Sorry sheriff Maddings, Mr. Crathmore asked my help.” Kael kept his head bowed. He didn’t like making eye contact with the sheriff.

“Nobody need ask you anything ‘round here, you’re doing what you owe them. Remember that.” His tone was matter-of-fact, not scolding. Kael disliked the sheriff’s treatment of him. He knew that they could never be friends, but Kael thought he had done enough to at least get some credibility.
Not once, in nine years, had he tried to escape or denied anyone the help they requested. Even when he knew he had not taken one thing from the people he helped. But, he was used to ungratefulness. Many hated him, no matter how much he did for them. He would always bite his tongue and get through it because he knew, at the end of the day, there would be Rachel.
Standing on the porch, Sheriff Maddings lit his pipe and stared out into the darkness. “I’m gonna say something to you now, boy. I’ll say it once and then I won’t warn you again.” The sheriff broke his gaze with the night to look at Kael. Kael looked down. “My daughter’s been gettin’ friendly towards you lately. I don’t like it, hear?”

He said nothing, but kept his eyes fixed on the floor. “You can’t imagine what I’d do to you if you forced me. Do not, and I mean this, interact with my girl in any other way than to tell her you’re here to see me. Is that in anyway not understandable?”

Kael, although sad and furious said only, “I understand, sir.”

“Good. Now get outta here. Bub got a little excited when you weren’t on time. Wouldn’t want him to do his job just yet.” Madding nodded to Kael, signally that he could go. He called the dog and they both went inside. Kael stood alone on the porch for a minute in the dark before leaving. He had his own little place on the corner of the sheriff’s lot which he had built himself because the sheriff wouldn’t allow him inside. To pay for the wood, Madding added an extra year onto Kael’s time in servitude. Kael, had the feeling he would never escape his punishment, which was nothing short of slavery.

As he walked off the porch he circled around to the back of the house. There, hidden in the bushes was a small stash of food Rachel had gotten into the habit of leaving out for him. They never spoke of it, but this was one of the many reasons Kael loved her, though he would never tell her.

Retrieving the stash, tonight it was some chicken and potatoes, Kael was about to leave when he heard Maddings shouting inside the house. Already, Kael thought, he was on his way to one of his drunken stupors. Peaking in a window he saw Rachel trying to pick something up off the floor while her father stood over her. She went to stand, but dropped whatever it was again on the floor. Looking at her father nervously, she watched as he shut his eyes and brought his hand to his head in aggravation. Just as it seemed he had cooled off, he brought the hand around and struck Rachel with the palm of his hand. She fell to the floor holding her face as he yelled an unintelligible word and left the room.

Kael watched as she brought herself to a sit; crying from the sting of her father’s hand. He had always believed Maddings was a violent man, but he did not think he would hit his own daughter. Man mixed emotions welled inside Kael as he walked from the house. His anger prevailed and he ended up having to tear a large stump from the ground to release his pent up energy. Only minutes ago the wear of the day had exhausted him. Now he felt he would have to cut down a forest to be rid of his rage.

When finally he was I his hut, barely big enough for him to lie down, he thought of happier things. Of Rachel. Of leaving the town forever. Before long he was asleep and dreaming of better days. His heart told him he would one day be free and happy. Until then, all he could do was wait and dream.

The winter of his ninth year was not unlike past years. He had much to do. Helping the harvest, cutting wood, hunting game; all of it was his responsibility because, not only did he own the people of the village, but also because he was bigger, over seven feet tall, stronger, he had never not been able to lift what he wished, and faster, much like a predator, he could catch wild game by running them down, than any other in the village.

Upon returning home from one particularly hectic day, Kael saw Rachel standing on the porch alone. He had a smile on his face, but as he neared he noticed she was crying. If the happiest moment in his day was met with the tears of his secretly beloved, Kael had never been so unhappy. “Rachel, are you alright?” Kael’s voice was deep, but gentle.

She tried to hide her face by turning away. “I’m fine.” She lied. “And you’re home early.” She did not want Kael to see her crying.

Kael did not wish to upset her further, but he couldn’t bear to see her crying. “What happened?” He tried to coo as sweetly as he could, hoping she would open up, but it only made matters worse.

“If I say I am fine than I am fine!” Despite her words, she sobbed lightly and ran into the house. A minute later sheriff Maddings came out. He was drunk and in a foul mood.

“What the hell are you looking at?” For the first time since he could remember, Kael looked straight into Maddings eyes. “Never you mind about that little bitch in there. She just needs to learn WHO’S BOSS!” He yelled the last words into the house. “Now you don’t need to worry about checkin’ the backa the house, boy. They Ain’t no food back there fo’ ya. And now you done made my girl upset by getting’ her in a world a hurt.” The sheriff stumbled back and forth as he spoke; poking Kael with the hand he held his whiskey bottle in. “And let me say this to ya right now.” He paused as if he had forgot what he was saying. Kael waited, watching Bub growl from the door. “If you ever speak to my daughter again, I will kill you. No questions asked.” Maddings fell forward against Kael, trying to keep his balance. “Don’t touch me, boy. You stink of vileness that is yourself.”

Maddings walked back into the house, the door didn’t shut entirely, but he didn’t even notice when he turn the latch to lock it. Kael walked back to his home seething. He lay on the ground, ignoring the burning of his stomach. He thought of all that had transpired that evening and lay awake all night, wishing he would go back and rescue Rachel. It would be so easy with the Sheriff passed out and the door unlocked. That night Kael would get no sleep.

The morning broke and still Kael was angry. He did all that was asked of him, but he was distant and would not speak, although most preferred it that way. When he returned to the house that evening he saw Rachel on the porch again, waving to him. He tried to pretend he didn’t see and started to walk straight towards his hut when she called out. “Kael, its okay. My dad’s out for the night.”

Cautiously he came towards the porch. She smiled her familiar smile and his anger finally left. “The sheriff has some old friends in town. He’ll be at the bar all night.” Kael relaxed a little. “Come inside, I wanna show you something.”

“Inside?” Kael had never been in the house. He wasn’t allowed to be further than the porch.

“Don’t worry, I’ll put Bub outside.” Kael followed Rachel and entered as she pushed the dog out. Enraged, the dog snapped at her, nipping her hand and drawing blood. She cried out in pain, but managed to shut the door. “Damn dog.” She whimpered as she moved to the kitchen to wrap her hand in a cloth.

“Is it bad?” Kael asked as he followed her.

“No, it’s fine, don’t worry about it.” Rachel shook her hand as she spoke to Kael. “Anyway, I wanted to show you something.” Still wincing, she gesture towards the table where Kael saw two place settings. “This one’s yours.” She said as she pulled out the chair. Kael obediently sat, incredulous to the scene. Rachel sat across from him, smiling once again.

As the two ate they talked of many things. Kael had never spoken so much at once, and was happy it was with Rachel. In many ways, the night played out the same way Kael’s dreams had. They talked and laughed together, and they were also serious, talking about many troublesome things. Most of the troubles for both of them revolved around the sheriff, but he didn’t matter now. This night they were together and Kael would have worked another fifty years to have a chance at another night like this.

With each passing hour, the two became closer. Kael was starting to feel like he should tell Rachel everything he had always wanted to. That she was beautiful, that she was the greatest person he had ever known, and especially, that he loved her.

As the moment approached and Kael felt the time was right, he could hear footsteps on the porch. He stood up immediately. It was Maddings. “The sheriff is here,” he said in a panicked tone. His ears were much better than Rachel’s which worked to his advantage because it gave them enough time to get him out of the kitchen and out the back door before Maddings made it in. Rachel had just cleared the table before the sheriff entered the kitchen.

Watching from the window, Kael’s whole body was tense. He expected Maddings to notice something astray, but it soon became apparent he was too inebriated to recognize much at all. He could barely keep his feet beneath him as he spoke to Rachel. His words, Kael could hear through the slightly opened window, were slurred and made no sense. Rachel tried to talk him into going to bed, but he was getting rowdy. Suddenly, it seemed that everything would be discovered by what Maddings said.

“Where’s Bub, now? Where’s my dog?” It was Rachel’s chore to make sure the dog was in if it got too late. The sheriff got angry if any chores were not done, and since he was drunk, it would be worse.

“Oh, well, I put him outside.” Rachel stalled for time, but the answer came quickly. “See he bit me on the hand and I was worried he might do it again, so I put him out until you got home.”
Kael thought it was a good answer and it seemed to be working.

Through his drunken state, Maddings tried to show his concern and asked to see the wound. Rachel removed the wrap and showed her injury. Taking his hand into hers, he began looking over the area. Then he caressed her arm. “I’ll teach that mutt to harm my beautiful girl.” Now Maddings began pulling her towards him. “He cut through your soft, delicate skin. Your mother had the most magnificent skin.” Rachel tried to pull away, but he held her firmly. “I loved her very much. You know, you look so much like her. So pale, so beautiful.”

Kael could see Rachel was getting uneasy, but he didn’t know how to help her. He watched as Maddings kissed his daughters hand delicately. They were standing now as Rachel had tried to back away. When they had reached the wall, the sheriff began kissing Rachel on the neck. She struggled and when she couldn’t get away she screamed.

“Shut your mouth you little bitch.” Maddings said and slapped her across the face. She whimpered and Maddings began trying to rip her shirt off.

Kael grabbed for the door, but it was locked. Hearing her cries, he ran to the front of the house where he was met by Bub. The dog growled low as its hair stood on the back of its neck. He began barking and lunged at Kael. Terrified, he ran, the dog snapping right behind him. Kael was torn between helping Rachel and saving himself. He had no trouble outrunning the dog, but if he stopped for a second, it would be on him.

Turning back, he circled the house. Again he heard Rachel’s screams inside, louder than ever. Making up his mind he ran a more strides and turned to meet the dog. Bub lunged, teeth gnashing and hit Kael square in the chest. He was knocked to the ground, the massive dog on top of him. He managed to protect his throat, but he received deep lacerations around his right eye.

Finally getting a hold of the dog he threw it off him. Enraged, he waited for the dog to charge again. When it did, he caught it in the air and threw the dog head long into a nearby tree.
Bub yelped, but came again at Kael. Meaning to end the onslaught, Kael grabbed the dog, ignoring the bites to his arm, and lifted it high over his head. He ran straight at the house and, with all his might, smashed the dog against the banister. The body snapped, bending it in two. It did not cry this time. Blood flowed from its mouth and Kael let him go.

Looking at the destroyed beast, he walked quickly to the door and turned the handle. It was locked. Putting his ear to the wood he could here muffled sobs. The anger welled up again and he kicked the door. It splintered down the middle and ripped from the wall. Looking in through the hole he had created, he saw Maddings run from the kitchen; Rachel was lying on the floor.

Kael ran to meet her. Her close were torn, her face bruised and she was staring off to no where. Kael could not get her to see him there. With ferocity he had never known, Kael turned away from Rachel and went into the living room. He could hear the sheriff slamming around upstairs. Slowly he ascended, not knowing what he would do, but with a purpose. At the top he turned and entered what must have been Maddings’ room. He had a steel club in his hand and was warning Kael not to come closer. The blood from the dog bites ran all down his face and Kael, the immense man creature, had never been more frightening.

They stared each other down a moment longer and then Kael approached Maddings. Before he could get closer, Maddings charged, failing the heavy weapon above his head. When he swung, Kael caught his arm and squeezed tightly. The sheriff dropped the club, holding back a cry of pain. Kael lifted him by the arm so that he was off the ground. He glared at the sheriff; his mind was blank from rage.

With an angry shout, Maddings struck Kael with his free arm full in the face. Grimacing, Kael reopened his eyes to find that the blow had no affect on him. Rearing back, Kael slammed his mighty fist into the sheriff’s chest. The air was audibly forced from his lungs and he couldn’t draw another breath. Kael dropped him and watched pitilessly as he struggled to breathe. Then, still not satisfied, he kicked Maddings in the stomach as he was doubled over. The jolt sent the sheriff a foot off the ground and into the wall across the room. Kael didn’t know if he had killed the sheriff, but he now had every intention to.

Moving to pick up the suffering man, Kael dragged Maddings by the neck down the stairs, through the kitchen and out the door. The body of the dog was still broken over the railing. Kael, unwilling to stop now that he had begun, tossed the sheriff’s quivering form onto the ground. He didn’t move while Kael walked down to the edge of the property and grabbed one of the large stones that lined the road. Returning, he turned Maddings on his back so he could see his impending doom. With sunken eyes, he watched helplessly as Kael brought the stone high with both hands.

“Never again.” It was the only thing Kael thought or said before bringing the rock down full force on sheriff Maddings, crushing his skull. He stood there a long time, the blood surrounding his feet. What would happen next, he did not know, but he feared the worst. After some time had passed, he turned his back on the gory sight, going back to the house in search of Rachel.
© Copyright 2006 Valor (valorborn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1098918-Kael-the-Beginning