*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1099995-Life-and-Times---Chapter-1
Rated: E · Chapter · Experience · #1099995
Ch1 of a novel I am half way through writing. Still first draft, but comments welcome!!
Strawberry Villas – Chapter One

A crowd had gathered, as it always did when death occurred, especially when the victim was murdered. They all stood in silence, looking down, some shocked, but all keeping their thoughts to themselves. As the wail of the approaching siren grew louder, they began to be shepherded away.
Jody wasn’t aware of any of it. Her whole world at that moment was occupied with Robert’s limp body, cradled in her arms.
“Hold on Robert. Not long now. They’re nearly here. Just hold on.”
There was no reply to her plea, and secretly, her mind knew it was already too late. The slow seep of blood from the corner of Robert’s mouth and the horribly laboured, rattling breaths, told their own story. Suddenly, Jody became aware of a hand on her shoulder, a heavy hand; Lui. She realized something was missing. The siren. She looked up, blinking away the tears in her eyes to see the paramedics standing over her.
“Come on Jo. Leave it to the medics. We should get you outta here.”
Reluctantly, Jody relinquished her hold, letting a paramedic move in to take her place as Lui helped her stand. His firm hand on her shoulder tried to turn her away from the scene, but she stood fast, watching the futile efforts of the paramedics to revive Robert. His breathing had now stopped completely, his small body giving up its fight for life. Lui stepped in front of her, blocking the scene from view.
“Heya, Jo. Listen up. There’s nothing you can do for him. Come on, let me get you inside. You’re soaked.”
Jody hadn’t been conscious of much around her up to that point, but Lui’s gentle voice began to bring her back to reality, feeling the chilling rail running down her neck. She raised her head to look Lui in the eye, taking in the wet clothes, the sad but caring eyes.
“I guess you’re right.”
“Hey, I’m Lui. I’m always right.”
It felt like a massive weight lifting from her shoulders as she let Lui guide her back towards the building. As they reached the doors, there was a sudden rattle of metal. They turned around and saw the paramedics wheeling out the metal gurney, but the lack of speed told its own tale. This was no urgent rush to get a survivor to hospital; it was simply collecting another victim. Another life snuffed out too early, all because of a stupid school yard fight.
As Jody watched them load the boy into the ambulance, she knew she had to leave this place. Surely there was somewhere she could make a real, positive difference?

******************

Six weeks later, sitting on the train, she watched the trees flying by in a blur and wondered for the hundredth time whether she was doing the right thing. It was so easy for her mind to torment her, telling her she was running away. She had told Lui as much before she left.
“Rubbish,” had been his terse, strongly accented reply, when she had told him what she was thinking.
“It’s how I feel Lui. I’m running away from the problem, not staying to help fight it.”
“Crazy. You’re going somewhere where you can help kids. Are you a teacher or not?”
“Of course I am!”
“Well then. You’ve made the right choice.”
“I know. That’s the thing. I keep trying to tell myself that, but there’s part of me though that just….”
Jody had shrugged.
“Just what? Look Jo. I’ve been at this place for twenty years, and I’ve seen it all. Every kind of trouble that you can imagine. D’ya know what the worst thing has been though?”
“Uncle Lui’s Pep 101 class? Ok, I give in. What is it Lui?”
“Wasted lives. Wasted chances.”
“That’s my point Lui. Am I letting them down?”
“No. Jo, that’s not the point. D’ya know how many teachers I’ve seen in your shoes? How many have let this place eat them up so that they end up little more than referees? They shouldn’t ‘a done that. They should’ a done exactly what you are doing. Getting out there to a place where you have a chance to make an impact. Giving the kids a chance to make a good start y’know.”
Jody had smiled wanly, and knew Lui had made his point.
“Ok uncle Lui. Guess you’re right.”
“Hey, I always say, I’m Lui.”
“You’re always right,” finished Jody.

******************

“Augustus next stop, five minutes folks.”
The announcement awoke Jody from the daydream. For the next couple of minutes, she was busy arranging her things, and pulling on her coat. Her stomach felt queasy as outlying farmland began to slide into view and the train slowed. Barely a minute later, the train was gliding to a stop at Augustus, and the start of Jody’s new life.
“Well, here goes,” she whispered as the doors slid open and she stepped down onto the platform. The perfect start to her new life came almost immediately.
“There you are, I thought you’d never get here.”
A warm feeling slid through Jody at the words and she turned towards the voice. There stood Carla, her best friend since childhood, her confidant, advisor, and now guide to her new life. Jody dropped her bags to the floor and the two friends embraced in a long, very close, hug.
“Feel better now?” Carla enquired gently as they separated.
“Lots. I needed that.”
“Having second thoughts still?”
“Can’t help it. I was just thinking about what Lui told me,” she confessed. The embarrassed shrug of her shoulders was a perfect indication of her doubts.
“Nonsense,” said Carla in the firm, big sister voice that Jody had grown to know so well. “Come on, I’ll show you just how right you have been coming here.”
“Lead on then. I take it I don’t have to pay for the guided tour?”
“No, the first one’s free. I’ll even grab one of your bags for you. Wow, this is heavy.”
“Hey, a girl’s gotta have clothes.”
Jody couldn’t help but smile. Suddenly she realized the chance to look around her new town was more in her mind than the doubts about leaving her old life, as long as Carla was with her.
“See, I told you it was the right choice.”
“Oh, turned mind-reader now have you?”
“Didn’t have to Jo. Your face says it all.”
Jody smiled again.
“Remind me never to play poker with you. Come on. Take me home.”

‘Home’ was on the other side of the town. On the journey in Carla’s convertible, Jody took the chance to enjoy the relaxed, peaceful atmosphere. There were people about, but there wasn’t the rush, wasn’t the stress of downtown Atlanta, Jody’s old home, old life.
“Nice place isn’t it?” Carla commented.
“I’ve told you before about reading my mind.”
“Again, didn’t have to. There’s not a day goes by that I’m not glad I left Atlanta to come here.”
“Really?”
“Totally. Dad dying may have been the reason I left originally, but this place is more than that. I could have gone anywhere. This place called to me.”
“Called to you? Is this the same Carla I know? Not like you to get all philosophical on me.”
“Exactly. It’s this town that’s done it. I tell you Jo, give me a year and I guarantee that you’ll never want to leave either.”
“You sound certain.”
“I am. Besides, you know me, I’m always right.”
“Modest too. You and Lui should be a double act.”
“That’s an idea,” replied Carla, trying and failing to keep a straight face.
“Well, remind me again in a year’s time and I’ll see what my answer is.”
“I bet it doesn’t even take a year. Nice home, nice town, great friends nearby. All I need to do is find you a man.”
Need to nip this in the bud, thought Jo.
“I can find my own boyfriends thanks. Especially after the experiment with Steve.”
“I thought he would be a good match for you,” laughed Carla.
“He was nice, respectable, paid for dinner. I’ll give him that. Shame he was so boring. Three hours talking about bikes, honestly!”
“Well, maybe in his world, that’s considered a turn on. Perhaps we should invite him back down for a second opinion. Anyway, what do you think of the view?”
Jody hadn’t realized how they had been climbing. Looking back she could see the sprawl of the main town, beneath them at the bottom of the ridge, dissected by the glinting railroad tracks. A turn in the road suddenly changed the view, now there were pine trees beginning to surround them.
“I didn’t realize we had come so far.”
“That’s the good thing, we haven’t. This road takes you back down the ridge to the crossroads. Straight across them, you’re in the town. Turn left instead, I’m a couple of minutes down there. It’s all nice and close.”
Still nice and peaceful though, Jody reflected. Just what she had been looking for. She was already starting to fall for the place. Up ahead, she saw a sign she recognized, faded white, hanging from one rusty old hinge. That was it, the entrance to her drive. Her stomach flipped.
“Why is it I suddenly feel nervous?”
“Don’t worry, I’ve got everything sorted Jo.”
Yet again, reassuring Carla. Inwardly, Jody smiled.
“I don’t know what I’d do without you C.”
“What are best friends for? Besides, the people I’ve used come highly recommended.”
“Oh? Who by?”
“Me.”
“Well, they must be good then, if they’re good enough for you,” grinned Jo.
“Be quiet,” laughed Carla in reply. “Just shut up and admire your house,” she added, pulling in past the faded sign that welcomed them to ‘Strawberry Villas’.
“Nice name. I might keep it.”
“You’ve got some of the original strawberry fields that give it the name too. Right, first impressions from the new owner?”
“It’s beautiful,” Jody heard herself whisper, awed. She remembered back to the evening when she had first visited the house. It had been cloudy and night was falling. Even so, she had sensed the house would look as nice on the outside as it did inside and now, gazing at the house in the full light of day, she knew for sure that was true.
Ahead of her stretched an almost dazzling driveway of white gravel, neatly bordered by a small white fence. The driveway acted as a natural guide for the eye, drawing her gaze towards the house. A fantastic house. Hers.
“Well?” asked Carla quietly. Jody turned to see her friend studying her face.
“I love it,” Jody replied simply, knowing then that Carla would be right. Barely an hour since she had arrived, and already she didn’t want to leave.
“Right let’s get inside and I can show you around.”
“If it’s as good as I remember, then that’s fine with me.”
“It’s even better,” Carla replied. “Just wait and see what surprises I have in store for you.”

A minute later, Jody once more felt trepidation as she turned the front door key in the lock. The door swung smoothly open, as if the house was welcoming her home, and she took a firm step over the threshold.
“I don’t remember this entrance being so light.”
“That’s because it was evening the last time that you saw it. Look up there. Two skylights. Apparently almost all the rooms were done to let as much light in as possible.”
“You seem to know quite a bit about this place already.”
“I got talking to the real estate guy. That’s one of the things you’ll grow to love about Augustus Jo; everyone is so friendly and open.”
“Meaning you can catch all the gossip,” Jo laughed.
“Well, that too of course. Even the gossip is friendly though. Anyway, put those bags down and let me take you on the tour. I’ve got it all worked out.”
Jody smiled. If there was one thing that Carla loved, it was playing at being her big sister. Jody had grown so used to hearing the subtle change in her friend’s tone. She often thought she was probably more conscious of it than Carla herself.
“Lead on then, but I want a proper tour.”
“I am sure that madam will find everything perfectly performed,” responded Carla, adopting the tone of the tour guide at her old gallery.
“Ok then, tour party ready, but I insist you keep that voice.”
Carla sniffed, tossed her hair theatrically, and led the way down the hallway.
The house was pretty much as Jody had remembered, she was pleased to see. No hidden surprises and the rooms were, if anything, bigger than she had first thought. Carla showed her through all the front-facing rooms of the house first.
“Why only the front rooms?”
“You’ll see. It’s one of the surprises.”
Jody accepted, knowing that Carla wouldn’t be hurried, and just concentrated in taking in as much as she could.
“So much light. It’s nice, but I don’t know how I’m going to fill all these rooms C.”
“Who says you have to fill it with anything? It was designed to be light and spacious. If you want, you can say your lack of furniture is because you want to highlight the minimalist genius of the design.”
“That’s the problem with you arty types Carla, you always go for the bafflement factor.”
“I know, but it sounds good. Anyway, you’ve seen the front of the house now. Still like it?”
“Totally.”
“Good. Now its time for the first surprise. Follow me.”
Carla led Jody up the stairs until they were standing outside the door to what Jody remembered as the master bedroom.
“Now, close your eyes and no peeking,” instructed Carla.
“What’s in there? Don’t tell me, you’ve changed it into a minimalist bedroom, without a bed.”
“Very funny. Close your eyes.”
“Yes Ma’am.”
“That’s better. Now, don’t open them until I say you can.”
“I promise.”
“Good.”
Jody heard Carla open the bedroom door and walk in, her soft shoes echoing on the wooden floor.
“Stay there for a second.”
There came the sound of blinds being drawn and then Carla came back across the room.
“Right, give me your hand and I’ll guide you.”
Jody allowed herself to be led into, and across, the bedroom. She couldn’t help wondering what she was going to see when she opened her eyes. Finally, Carla whispered.
“Open your eyes.”
For a few seconds Jody kept them shut, knowing it would tease Carla, but then her curiosity got the better of her and she relented, opening her eyes.
Whenever Jody looked back on her move to Augustus in later life, the sight that she now took in was the one she knew had sealed her love of the place. She found herself standing in front of a huge window looking out at the back of the property. The view took her breath away.
The house sat on the top of a hill, but what Jody had previously believed was continuous land, was instead two cliffs, separated by a deep ravine. Trees tumbled down the slope bordering the end of Jody’s land and, from the elevated view, Jody could see sunlight striking into the ravine, burnishing the rock walls with a soft golden glow. Across to the right of the long garden was a colonnade of trees, between which a path seemed to rush headlong towards the edge of the ravine.
“Oh C.”
Jody didn’t know how to express how she was feeling.
“I know, difficult to take in isn’t it? Wait until you see it at sunset. The sun catches the ridge so perfectly I’ve been tempted to bring my things up here and paint it.”
“Feel free. One thing’s for sure though.”
“What’s that?”
“I think your bet is going to be safe.”
“Told you so. Come on, we’ll take a look at the other rooms then I’ll show you the other surprises.”
Carla led on.

The second surprise was visible as soon as they stepped out onto the sun terrace at the back of the house.
“Wow. Look at the size of that pool. The notes for the house described it as tiny.”
“Tiny? Think they got that wrong then. You’ve got the perfect place to sit out and admire the view.”
“Looks great. I wonder what it’s like in the pool.”
“Oh, it’s fantastic. The water’s just the right temperature,” Carla replied, smirking.
Jody deliberately adopted a stern tone as she turned towards her friend.
“You’ve been in my pool?”
“Yes. Someone had to try it out for you.”
“So generous.”
“I merely wanted everything to be perfect for you Jo,” grinned Carla.
“Ah, I see, and it had nothing to do with the fact I’m the one who’s got the pool?”
Carla didn’t reply, just stuck out her tongue. Jody made a mental note to remind Carla how the water felt sometime soon. A quick push into it should be enough.
“I know that look Jo.”
“What? I’m simply thinking how good a job you’ve done,” Jo replied, averting her eyes.
“Well, don’t thank me just yet. There’s one final surprise for you.”
Carla led Jody down to the colonnade of trees she had seen from her bedroom. They followed the path towards the edge of the cliff where, at the last minute, it turned, dropping down a series of rough hewn, rock steps to a small enclosure cut into the rock face. A large wooden rail stretched from one end of the enclosure to the other, and was all that prevented anyone from stepping off the cliff into oblivion.
“If you want a really quiet spot to get away from everything and forget that anyone else exists, this is it Jo. Out here, you can forget the entire world exists, unless you get a rock climber clambering up the walls, but I doubt that. Shame though.”
“Shame? Why?”
“Well, if it was a guy, least you’d know he was in good shape.”
Jody gave Carla a playful smack. “You’ll never stop ‘til you see me married will you?”
“No.”
“Well, I’ve no intention of getting married today, and I’m starving. Is lunch included on the tour?”
“Lunch? Jo, it’s nearly five.”
“Already? No wonder I’m hungry.”
“Don’t worry. I got you some food in this morning. Come on, we’ll try your kitchen out.”

An hour later, feeling well fed, and well content, Jody sat back on the terrace, watching the sun start to sink down in the early spring sky. Beside her, Carla sat in companionable silence. Jody knew her friend well enough to know that she was probably thinking back to some hiking trip or other with her father.
“Peaceful isn’t it?” Carla sighed. “Reminds me of my last trip with my dad before he died.”
“I was thinking pretty much the same thing,” Jody agreed, pretending not to notice the beginning of a tear in Carla’s eye. Their unwritten rule; Carla pretended never to break down, and Jody pretended not to notice.
“I miss him Jo.”
Had this place changed her that much? Jody reflected to herself, turning to Carla, unable to hide her surprise. She said nothing, waiting to see if Carla would continue, or try and check herself. She reached across and laid a supportive hand on Carla’s.
“It’s this place that’s done it. You’ve probably guessed that. I guess life in Atlanta was so hectic that I never had chance to really feel it before.”
“You did tend to have a fairly chaotic schedule,” Jody agreed.
“I know. Cost me too much time with him before he died as well. Now,” Carla shrugged, “I have all the time in the world, a great life, and a great place to live it in. He would have loved this place.”
The tears were rolling steadily down her friends face now as Jody slid across and reached out to hug her.
“That’s why you love this place so much isn’t it?” she gently asked.
Carla nodded. “Yeah. Aside from the fact that it’s turned me into a softy, this place was everything he was ever looking for, after mom died. If he’d still been alive when I moved here, I would have brought him with me. I think he’d have been at home here.”
“No doubt about that. Least he is here in one sense. You’ll never forget him, and knowing what this place would have meant to him makes it all the more special for you. He’ll never leave you.”
“I know. Damn, these tears are ruining my makeup."
Carla dabbed her eyes and suppressed a sniffle. Jody recognized the signs; she was bringing her emotions back into line. That was another thing Jody loved about Carla; her strength.
“Well, bossy one, any time you want to talk, you know where I am.”
“I know. That’s why this place is so perfect for both of us. You get me only a couple of minutes away, and I get my own pshrink for free.”
Carla attempted a smile, which Jody returned.
“Anytime.”
“Just one thing though Jo.”
“What’s that?”
“Were you planning to push me in the pool earlier?”
“Me? Would I ever consider doing that to you?”
They both laughed as Carla nodded.
“Not today,” Jody replied then, under her breath, “Plenty of time ahead for that.”
© Copyright 2006 sdhayes (sdhayes at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1099995-Life-and-Times---Chapter-1