*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1102650-More-is-a-Four-Letter-Word
Rated: E · Other · Opinion · #1102650
Can the word be used and not elicit a sense of need?
More is a four letter word...

It seems to connect with work, effort, need, or some other energy requiring input. More beautiful, means, I’m not OK the way I am, I need to work at doing something to improve. More money, means I have to work at making increased wages. More time, means I have to sift and sort through my priorities and come up with a day or two extra to accomplish the needed tasks.

Unless the adjective describes the action of another toward me...then it’s effort on their part and I’m the recipient, in which case it’s a word of relative four “letter-hood”. Give more, relate more, love more,...on the receiving end that’s great. On the giving end, well, more just means my effort is inadequate.

From the dawn of history whether spoken or not, More has been the motivator of mankind. Eve disobeyed the command of God, seeking the promise of More from the wisdom she would gain upon eating the forbidden fruit. Adam followed in her footsteps, was he too looking for More? More of everything in a Garden of Perfection. More is a four letter word that changed the Destiny of all mankind. And even today the warning is to be found if one would pay attention. Scripture blatantly declares it, in Proverbs 25: 20, “ Hell and destruction are never full; so the eyes of man are never satisfied. “ The eyes of mankind, always looking for more.

When is More something to be cherished or loved, appreciated or anticipated with fondness? More time with those we love, more time alone when we are rushed. More beauty around us to appreciate, more music to lighten our heart, more quietness to still our fears. More, ever more to seek and satisfy, but only for a time. More, once obtained vaporizes into thin air, as more becomes reality, the satisfaction soon is gone, and then there is More that is needed. There would seem to be never an end to what could be More. Even the best of things can relate to the need of more and so it goes. On and on without end. Could the world survive without More? I think it could, as soon as it learns to live in a state of contentment.

More, to be used with caution. It’s a four letter word.

© Copyright 2006 Daisy Patch (dphf at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1102650-More-is-a-Four-Letter-Word