*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1102966-Little-Gilbert-Knows-Somethings-Up
Rated: E · Short Story · Animal · #1102966
A small Rat Terrier explores his world with the Alphas in his life...His first road trip.
It began a few days ahead of the time of departure setting things aside that needed to be taken. Piles of items to be loaded began to accumulate, here and there. Gilbert’s uneasiness began to show. He was becoming as clingy as an unsettled toddler. How do you explain to a fur kid his life isn’t in peril??? To this little eight and a half pound Rat Terrier his world was being turned upside down.

He patiently tagged around with Alpha She here and there until it was finally time to load up and get on the road. Little Gilbert wasn’t so sure. Up until now, no trip has been worth his time and the stress it placed on him, by his estimation. He just isn’t convinced the little house on wheels is his favorite past time, or even on the list of potential runners up . But, his Alphas were getting in, and he had no choice, since Alpha She had him tightly in her grip. His shaking protest began, and didn’t let up for many miles into the 3 ½ hour trip. His favorite blanket, shared with his Alpha She on many a Nap Therapy day, was folded into an intended familiar bed in back. He tried it out, but it just wasn’t quite the same somehow, as the favorite Nap Therapy chair. (That, by the way, isn’t getting as much use these days)

And so the trip began, uncertainly, unhappily, and mostly unwillingly. An hour down the road found Little Gilbert perched between the seats on the console. Might as well make the best of a bad situation, was the attitude he displayed, as he appeared every bit as though he had decided to be the brave little mascot of the road. Ears perked alertly and nose ready to sniff out the first sign of danger (except for the overpasses, then ears went back a bit as he cowered, but, we won’t dwell on that...). He really did well, considering this whole road trip idea was decided upon without consulting him or asking for his approval. In fact, by his apparent demeanor, he was rather a captive, kidnaped and taken by force,. And it did have an effect on the Alphas, they felt some pity, trying hard to include him in the excitement of getting away for a few days. They even attempted to draw him into the fun with his favorite treats. A sniff and a turned up nose were his only response. He would have nothing to do with them or the water that was offered.

The one bright spot in the whole trip was when a potty break was declared, the Alphas took turns getting out, and when Alpha She got back after her turn, the beloved leash was put on and Little Gilbert was given his opportunity to make his mark on the new territory. It was his joy and delight to sniff and sniff and sniff some more. It seemed he just couldn’t get enough of the scents of the others that had passed by this way before him. He finally found just the right spot to add his signature to the post that wore the “Dog Run “ sign and he seemed happy for a moment. Short lived happiness it was though. As soon as Alpha He returned the journey continued, and so did Gilbert’s listless participation.

The gate at the ‘80, (the name given to 80 acres of hills and woods, swamps and trails), finally appeared, the destination was at long last in sight. No one could have been happier than the trips’ mascot. Once the vehicle was parked at the door of the cabin, he ran circles around the Alphas, thanking them for his freedom at last, he was grinning from ear to ear, whether it was visible or not. He was one happy little puppy. And so he remained as long as his feet were firmly planted on the ground, and he wasn’t within the confines of the dreaded house on wheels.
© Copyright 2006 Daisy Patch (dphf at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1102966-Little-Gilbert-Knows-Somethings-Up