*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1106350-Boredom
Rated: 13+ · Other · Experience · #1106350
One's enumerations upon the nature of boredom and ennui.
It was gripping him like a shark when it has its wounded prey in its mouth. Like when you get your finger stuck in a Chinese finger trap and try to pull out, only to find it tightens. Like a plastic bag over your head and if you breathe you only lose more air.
I have to find a way out, or else, or else….what? Don’t think about that now

Maybe open up Yahoo Chess? Checkmated in three moves. Damn
Maybe try to think of a story to write, something to express this feeling. Nothing. A poem maybe? Yes, poetry is easy.

Ode to Boredom

As I sit with no action nor deed
to occupy me, only thought.
I realize your beauty, O boredom.
And how some appreciate you naught.
In your bounds you hold the realms of everything
You are being; no limits, no constrictions.
But I am always avoiding you.
Just as I have done with this poem.


Ahh but it is just a temporary release. All that crap made up about boredom being beautiful, how the best thing in the world is being, how doing nothing is a precious gift, how one should cherish it before everything, it does not satisfy anyone. It’s all just poppycock. Claptrap. Nonsense. Only those with a milquetoasty persona accept that position. Ahh now you are just amusing yourself with your lexicon.

But really, being bored is preferable than, say, studying for a psychology exam you have in the morning. Or learning Latin. Or reading Leaves of Grass. Or finding out random facts like Chuck Palahniuk does (e.g. Fight Club; you can create napalm with frozen orange juice concentrate and gasoline).

So what if I try to sit here, not trying to do anything? What would happen if I don’t fight the shark gripping my leg, the Chinese finger trap, the plastic bag over my head. Many would call this meditating, but this is different. Meditating is forcing all thoughts out of your head; this is just being natural, letting your mind do what it was meant to do. Everyone should stop focusing on the soul; the greatest human achievement is the mind. So if I just sit here, letting my mind wander, what would happen? It is something completely unprecedented in any culture, in any TV show, in any movie. What would happen…



I just thought of a story. Irony.
© Copyright 2006 SpandexWarrior (spandexwarrior at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1106350-Boredom