*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1107390-African-Princess
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #1107390
A young girl's journey into slavery.

         Once upon a time, I was a princess.

         I was the most precious jewel in the darkest depths of an African village.

         And then the White Man came and everything changed.

         He came with his big ship and his big talk. His pale skin smelled like stale cheese and I shrank from the lecherous look he threw at me. He came with expensive silks, cigars and weapons unlike anything we had ever seen before. Oh, how the village head's eyes shone at the gifts before him. Greed. Succulent greed overwhelmed his senses and he made a deal with the devil.

         We had no time to flee, and before I knew it, I found myself shackled and chained.

         I screamed for my mother, my father, my brothers and dear sisters. But they were silent cries for we had been sold for material goods more valuable.

         We walked all night and all day with no end in sight, and we cried to our gods. "Oh, why, have you abandoned us?!"

         And the White Man laughed as he made us dance and forced us to sing our 'funny' songs, while using us to his fill. And all the time we continued to pray to God to save our souls.

         But God seems to have turned his back on us.

         As I lie in this dark, dirty ship, my back raw from the lashes of his whip, I curse and I gnash my teeth and pray for revenge.

         I am afraid. They are taking me to America and I do not know what awaits me there.

         He will give me a different name and try to make me forget. But no matter what happens, I will always remain an African Princess.

         No one can take that away from me.


Word Count: 300



© Copyright 2006 iKïyå§ama-House Targaryen (satet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1107390-African-Princess