*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1113777-Sacred-Arteries-Of-The-Earth
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1113777
Townspeople notice strange things when an industry comes to mine a new type of oil.
Sacred Arteries of Earth



By: Bradley Wheeler



short-story





The late shift let out earlier than usual, so the Stoneville Bar and Grill was nearly full. Jake had a few more beers than he should have and was starting to get a little too loud. He had wavy blonde hair and wore a dark blue uniform from the local plant.

"Works gettin tougher, Joe!", he yelled.

Joe sat there thinking of a few years back, when he and Jake had nothing else to do but to fish their favorite place along the old Clay river basin. They had caught these ugly, bloated fish that stank of grease and they seemed to be glowing. The worst part of it all was that they were still alive. They threw the fish back into the lake. He could remember watching them swim away. Theyd left immediately.

He and Jake had put some of the greasy stuff, covering the lakes shoreline into a canteen and had it tested in a lab at the university. That was just before those industry men had come to Stoneville and given all of them jobs. Yet, Joe felt something was wrong about the whole thing.

He pushed his light brown hair out of his eyes and realized theyd both been given only a small amount of money for the discovery of that strange liquid. But theyd been out of work a few long hard months when theyd taken the fishing trip. Now he wished theyd held out for more money.

Hell, after they gave us that money for the rights to use that stuff we found, youd think theyd try and lighten up a little on a fellow.

Jake was starting to draw an unkind eye from Mary Marcus, the esteemed owner of the bar.

" Why dont you quit all this yellin and have one on me, Jake?",

Mary lad a full mug of brew on the counter and smiled at them,

"What are yall talking about anyway?"

She was tall and pretty with curly brown hair and dark eyes.

"Oh, nothing a woman would understand", Joe answered her, then laughed,

"Aww, Jakes working too hard."

Jake smiled and looked at the door of the bar where a small argument was beginning to break out.

"Just what exactly do you do over there at the plant, Joe?", Mary asked, just then noticing the brewing battle near the front.

"Hey! O.K., lets take this outside. Ive got a bar to run. Out!"

Mary shoved the three drunk and arguing men out through the door.

Joe couldnt stop letting it bother him. Looking at Jake, he saw it wasnt just him. The thought that his bosses at Newco Industries werent telling them everything about the unusual liquid they were drilling for. If everything were on the up and up, then why were they told to keep everything secret?

"Why are you so quiet tonight?",

Jake nudged him out of his reverie, asking," Did you get some of that gook on you

Joe remembered how his foreman had been smiling earlier that day. The tests had come back from the other control centers throughout the lower region of the state. The whole Ridgemont mountain valley had deep wells of the stuff. Joe wondered exactly what they were using it for? It was being used to run all their equipment and their plant depended on it. They still couldnt get enough drilled out to please their superiors.

Shipments of the liquid left the plant daily to God knew where, thought Joe.

Want another beer, Joe? Jake asked, as Mary laid down two full mugs of beer on the table. Joe took one and then noticed Mary. She smiled as she waited on Joe to look up.

You never answered my question, Joe. I know you guys are tired, but Im so curious. Just give me a hint! Mary asked.

It seemed almost like everyone in the bar was listening as he spoke up.

Mary, we couldnt tell you if we wanted too. So dont ask... Anyway, Jake and I have to go. Early day tomorrow. Cmon Jake.

Joe stood and grabbed his coat.

Yeah, thanks Mary. I guess I just miss the old days when we didnt have to work so hard.

Jake got up a bit unsteadily and Mary held onto his arm.

Yeah, youd stay here til a quarter til three and Id have to practically sweep you off your feet to get you to go home., Mary said jokingly, giving Jake a hug.

Thats what I miss, Mary. Maybe Friday, if Im not too tired, Jake said, as he downed the last of his beer.

Oh, you get out of here, Jake Crusher, before I decide to come over to that plant you work at and find out what you do myself!

Mary gave Joe a slap on the back.

I wouldnt do that if I were you, Mary...

Joe looked at her and spoke quietly, I dont know for sure, but I believe its really dangerous at the plant and they havent told us. Well, anyway, goodnight Mary.

Jake and Joe left the bar and took the back way up the Crestview trail. The trees were roaring in the breeze and the moon was full. Joe could see the moonlight glaring down on the valley and Newco Industries. They were busy down there on third shift. Building on more and getting bigger. Already there were three times as many workers in the plant as before. Twice as much as the whole population of Stoneville. Jake spoke out loudly, startling Joe,

Them new workers, Joe... Ive seen a few of them up close. You wouldnt believe how strange they look. They work two, three shifts in a row, and afterwards, they dont even look tired.

Yeah Jake, ol Willy says they drink the stuff. What do they call it? Joe asked, watching as about twenty men lifted a large panel into place along the southern end of the plant.

I dont know, Joe, K-3 or something like that. I think its short for Kirrilium. Didnt you discover it Joe? Jake asked.

Yeah, but with a name like Kovaks... Anyway, I dont care who gets recognition for that junk. I dont even know what it is.

Joe gazed at the small lights from the acetylene torches as the men at the plant attached plates to the new section of wall. They looked like a group of the new men, working busily.

Behind them, on the trail leading from the bar, they could hear someone shouting, Help! I know I saw them move... Help!

Joe ran down the trail, as Jake carefully edged back from the overlook. He came up to ol Hiram McHenry. He worked with them at the Newco plant.

What is it? Whats wrong, Hiram?

Joe tan up to him and looked around.

Oh, Im... Well, its nothing, Joe. I just left the bar, you know... Hiram could barely talk, as he was out of breath, Its... Well, I swear those trees were actually reaching down toward me and... Well, this sounds crazy, but...

Hiram stopped and looked back behind himself, beginning to shake.

Go on, what did you see? Joe asked, putting his arm around the older man and steering him up the trail.

Well, it seemed as if the ground was rippling, it was almost as though it were breathing. The ground moved under me a little too... I know it sounds crazy enough. Hiram shook his head as he spoke.

Well, we all know how you like to drink too much sometimes, Hiram, especially on a night with a full moon. Joe said, laughing at Hiram.

I often think of my wife on nights like these... Hiram explained, But I know what I saw!

By the time Joe and Hiram reached the cliff-side overlook, they noticed that Jake had dozed off with his back propped up on a large boulder.

Well, cmon Jake! Lets go! Joe yelled, lightly kicking Jake.

He woke up, shouting at the two men.

I had a bad dream... You wouldnt believe it, Joe!

Jake stood weakly and then nodded toward Hiram.

Oh, hi Hiram.

Hiram helped him up.

I dont want to hear about any old dream. We all got to go to work early tomorrow. You got first shift, Hiram? Joe asked.

The rock, it talked to me in the dream. It said not to go to work. It was a crazy dream! Oh well, youre right Joe. Yeah, lets head home.

Jake looked down at the plant once more in the moonlight, a faint hum sounding throughout the valley.

I just want to get off this trail boys. Im a little too drunk... Hiram said, a little hoarsely, I guess I was seeing things.

As the three men left the lookout and headed back up the trail, they were being filmed on the infrared monitoring system that Bill Shook had set up with his connections from the C.I.A. The two men he could see were Jake Crusher, and Joe Kovacs. The two men whod first discovered the K-3.

Whos the third man, Franc? Shook asked his associate, running his fingers through his short black hair.

Thats Hiram McHenry, from sector seven. He left the bar after the other two men.

Franc Silver sat across from the huge desk made of a clear glass-like plastic. They were deep within the plants command center. Bill Shook not only ran Newco Industries, it seemed to Franc, but he also lived there twenty-four hours-a-day. It seemed as if he never slept.

Have them report to the main drilling room as soon as they arrive on shift. I want to have a word with them... You say that theyve kept their mouths shut so far?

When Bill Shook asked you a direct question he had this funny way of staring at you as if he already knew the answer.

Your boy, Jake Crusher, had the usual complaints about the long hours, but thats about it.

Silvers bald head reflected the dim office lighting, as he spoke. He lit up a cigar imported from Cuba and watched the men on the screen.

Well, soon Franc, well fire most of the locals from the plant!

Bill trained the camera on the workers outside the gates connecting the wiring to the new section they were building.

Yes, quite an achievement! Those men they sent me, work three shifts at a time and were getting more and more K-3 drilled out each day! Shook said, proudly focusing in on the hard working men.

Yes, youre going to make millions on this one... Franc said to his friend, winking, I guess K-3 is going to make you a lot richer.

All of us, Franc my boy! The whole world needs a fuel that burns this slow, without caustic smoke, and that replaces gas and oil.. Would you believe that this desk is made from a steel-like plastic derived from Kirrilium-3?

Its a beautiful desk, Bill, but what are those creatures the labs are sending us? Is it true that they drink Kirrilium-3 and live on it?

Franc stared at a close-up of one of the new men. The man stared blankly and coldly as he lifted up large steel panels into the air as if they were feathers.

Now, this is top-secret Franc... Shook began, hesitating, Everything around here is, Bill!

Franc Silver threw his arms up laughing.

Well, they are eating a little of the K-3 in their diets, but its experimental. I could be fired for telling you this, so keep it quiet!

Bill Shook stared at his friend and then relaxed, remembering that the government boys were in the game now and the money was beginning to flow.

Franc shook his head, wondering how any human could ingest something as powerful as Kirrilium-3 in their diet, even in small amounts.

That stuff is poison, Bill! It has to be killing them! Franc shook his head as he spoke.

No, in fact it keeps them alive... Dont ask me how, Franc. I want you to keep an eye on Joe Kovacs. Get close to him and try to see what he knows.

Right, Bill. Why are you smiling so much today?

Franc couldnt escape the thought of those men eating the K-3. Giving them the power to work harder, yet, he could see it in their eyes that they were half-dead, somehow.

Just thinking of the new house Im gonna buy and maybe a few cars. Lots of money in this work, my boy, lots of money! Shook began to laugh.

As secure as Bill Shooks office was, his words rang out loud in another office about three miles beneath the ground. In a large hall sat several men and women. In dim lighting, they listened to the conversation taking place above them with extreme interest.

The leader of the Under-Earth people reached up and lowered the crystalline lights. The room darkened as the video screen lit up behind them.

The surface people refuse to understand the power they harness is not theirs or ours to use, but the life force of the planet Earth that they are sucking dry!

Their leader, Gemstar, sat down to think about what they had heard and to let his committee talk it over.

We must stop them, Gem! a young Earth-child, Pharra spoke up, They will destroy us all!

Yes, Pharra, there are old ancient ways for our people to go to the surface but we must be careful. Only a few chosen can go to the top and try to stop them. We reach through the trees, the rocks, and the dirt, but we have very little power up there. Gemstar spoke sadly.

They dig deeper every day, taking the sacred Earth liquid. Perhaps we can try and get to them as they drill. Gemstars son Lynox spoke beside his father.

We have to try. It seems that their greed is making a confrontation between our people inevitable.

Gemstar looked at the images on the video screen. All the drills they had built to extract the vital Earth liquid.

I just wish it hadnt come to this, but if we dont stop them... He left the words unsaid.

The images shifted to what their best science people predicted for the next ten years. It would, of course, kill all of his people, but eventually, everyone on the surface would feel the earthquakes and dust storms that would result from drilling out this essential fluid from deep within the Earth.

Gemstar reached over and turned up the volume on the speaker from Bill Shooks office far above them.

... Kirrilium-3 means money. Its as good as gold, to you and me, Franc! Kirrilium-3 is gold!



Jake Crusher had a terrible hangover and even though he usually worked up on the surface for the Newco plant, he was forced to work in the stuffy tunnels underground with Hiram and Joe. For some reason, Shook wanted to breathe down their necks and now they had to run all day just to keep up. As loaders rolled silently down the tracks, they had to work in tight caves. Tunnel networks that ran for miles in all directions. Thats when he first heard the voice...

You must not do this!

If Jake hadnt known better, he would have said that the voice came from a small section of rock that was low in Kirrilium. He looked over at Hiram, who was the closest to him, and walked over. The outfits they jokingly called, space-suits, made it difficult to walk around and Jake stumbled over a small rock.

Listen to me, this liquid is an essential part of the Earth that cant be replaced... You have to stop mining it!

Did you just tell me to stop mining, Hiram? Jake asked.

He saw Joe extracting a few gallons of K-3 into the retriever tubes. The liquid glowed and almost appeared to be vibrating as it slid into the loaders.

What are you talking about Jake? Get back to work! Joe says Shooks got cameras on everything we do! Do you want him to come down on us some more?

Well, if it is not Hiram then who? Jake wondered. Was this a trick of that eccentric industry man, Shook? He seemed to be a little too happy for him these days.

Maybe he planned to play a lot of crazy tricks, try to make us quit thought Jake, or else Im going crazy.

Youre not going crazy, Jake, but we are all doomed if we dont find a way to stop Bill Shooks plan. We are a people that are guardians of this sacred liquid. It is part of the Earth. It is too powerful to be used and it keeps the Earth healthy! Without it, we will all die and your people will soon feel the effects as well, If we cant stop this now and repair the damage.

Jake looked up and down the tunnel way and could see no one within range who could be talking to him. So it was the rock or his hung-over, crazed, and feverish mind.

O.K.... If you are from underground, why dont you show yourself to me? Thius cant be happening. I have to see who Im talking too! Jake said.

We cant come up too close to the surface as we grow weak. We are strong down here, miles beneath you. We reach up through the earth and the rocks and we only talk with those whom we choose to, through their minds.

What do you want? Is this real?

Jake felt confused and yet, there was something sincere in the calm voice he heard. Was it imaginary he wondered?

Joe looked up and saw that Jake seemed to have a Kirrilium spill and had stopped working. Was something wrong? He tapped Hiram on the shoulder and they made their way over toward Jake. An alarm sounded far away inside the plant.

You, and your friends, Joe and Hiram, must try and stop an all out confrontation between both our peoples. We will not let you kill us off without a fight! Our people nurture the Earth and guard its innermost secrets.

Jake, who are you talking to? Joe looked at Jake with a frown, Weve got work to do, you know. Theres K-3 pouring out all through this section!

All three of you need to prepare for the end of all this drilling. Warn your supervisors! There will be more resistance, if they dont cease all production. We will stop them ourselves if we have to. We dont want to have to do this. Jake, explain it to them. I must go now.

Whered that voice come from?

Hiram ran up and tugged Jakes arm, looking at Joe in a panic.

Did you hear a voice, Joe? Hiram asked.

Joe reached over and looked in Jakes eyes as best as he could through the face mask.

Whered the voice come from, Jake? asked Joe, It said that youd explain it to us... Well, go ahead!

Jake shook his head, still not believing that hed heard it. But he had seemed to notice the stone in the wall glowing with the words he had heard, as though it had really come from a voice under the ground.

You heard it too? Jake asked his friends.

Look, we all heard the voice. Something or someone is trying to communicate with us, and I want to know exactly what they said!

Joe leaned in close and Hiram laughed with relief that he wasnt the only one who had heard that strange voice. He thought he had heard a similar voice from the trees the night before, warning him in the same way.

Well, it got a little technical... about K-3, and the Earth. The voice said that there were people underground who want us to stop mining the Kirrilium-3. If we dont, then the whole planet could suffer... Something like that, I think.

Jake Crusher knew hed have to find a way to get through to Bill Shooks to stop the production. It would not be easy.

Just then, plant security men flooded into the tunnel way to check on the lack of production. The officers arrested Jake and the other two men and as they were dragged up to the surface, replacements stepped into the caves to mine more Kirrilium-3. Alarms fell silent and loaders ran hissing through the tunnels. No one watched as the three men were dragged away.

Jake and Joe were taken to a separate cell and Hiram found himself in Bill Shooks office. The walls were lined with books and two large video screens lay embedded in the book shelves. Shook himself seemed to be in good spirits.

How about a drink, Hiram?... Now, tell me why the three of you seem to keep on the edge of my patience?

Bill Shook handed Hiram a cold beer and sat down behind the large desk.

I see you like my desk... One-hundred percent pure Kirrilium and as durable as steel! he told him proudly.

Well, yeah, its a nice desk.... I think youd better stop the production, Bill... All of us have been noticing some strange things in the last few months. All happening around the plant, and those new workers arent working well with the locals. Why just last night, two of them were down at the bar picking fights, left and right!

Hiram drank some of the beer and waited for Bills reply.

Well, I admit they take a little getting used to, but.... Anyway, that is not your concern anymore. Youre fired! Jake and Joe are being brought up on charges of holding up production and possible sabotage!

Shook stared at Hiram and then pressed a button on his desk. A fast acting poison worked through Hirams system and his eyes started to become blurry. The security team opened a side door just as the dead body of Hiram McHenry slid to the floor. Two men lifted him up and carried him from the office, while a third man stayed behind standing at attention.

Yes, Ted, it was a terrible accident... and the plant sends the usual condolences to the family. By the way, have a vehicle ready in ten minutes. Ill want to check over the work on sector seventeen. How deep have the men dug down, today?

Bill Shook stood up and looked at a blueprint of the planned expansion of the nearly two mile wide drilling sections.

I believe they are close to fifteen hundred feet now sir.

Fine Ted, go and get the car and tell Franc to man the command station while I am gone. Everything must stay on schedule. This week may mean contracts and more money to line everyones pockets!

The man quickly left the office and Bill Shook laughed.

What a fool that Joe Kovacs was. he thought, Selling the rights to K-3 for a few thousand when the worlds governments were at this very moment scrambling over each other for bids on the first shipments. It was too easy. he thought, Like taking candy from a baby.

Too bad about their friend McHenry, poor man, ha ha. Thought I should stop production because of a few strange things going on. Well, hes wrong about that, dead wrong!

Bill Shook kept laughing as he locked his office. He laughed all the way down the hall to the thick door of security cell number four. With a hand and voice print, he unlocked the door and entered the first chamber. He smiled at the two men through the thick glass wall separating them. They looked up and both talked at once, yelling for him to stop all the mining of K-3. Shook tried to keep from laughing again as he spoke, cutting them off.

Im afraid that youre both fired! You are to be held in our happy little vacation resort for a couple of days, while we clear up a few matters.

But you arent listening! Joe shouted, There is nothing you can do but to stop the mining right away! It is destroying the Earth and.... It could possibly destroy the human race!

Shook threw back his head in laughter.

What makes you think that, Kovacs? Youre the one who discovered K-3 in the first place! Have you boys gone crazy, drinking up your paychecks?

Shook looked at Jake, who appeared to be in the corner talking to the wall.

No, Jake and I have come accross some people who will try and stop this mining. They warned us!

Joe looked in the eyes of his former boss, Did he look crazy himself? he thought.

The cars ready at the gate sir! the intercom message interrupted over a loudspeaker.

Shook raised the temperature in the cell to 110 degrees and laughed again as he spoke, You sound crazy to me Joe. Im having some people out here to check on the operations tomorrow. I dont need you spreading this unfounded information in Stoneville or around the plant. Im sure you can understand that my boy. Ive got to go. Ill give you a week to think all this through, and then I want a list of names. I want to know who got to you and how much they paid you... Is that clear?

No, its not money, we... Joe yelled out, but Shook broke in, Oh, youre wrong, Joe. Its about money all right... All the money in the world!

The laughter continued to echo in security cell number four long after the man had gone. Jake pulled Joe over to the wall.

Theyre here, Joe! One called Gemstar has been talking to me. He is gonna break us out of here!

I know Jake, Ive been listening. They seem to want our help to plug up the drill holes. Can you still use the lasersaw to disconnect the lead valves from the central loader receiving units? Joe asked him, whispering in case Shook were still nearby with a remote sound patch to their cell.

I think so Joe, its been a long time...

Jakes voice fell silent as he noticed a thick section of the wall shimmer, then push outward, exposing a deep tunnel leading down and out behind the cell. A voice, not Gemstars this time, but that of a small child spoke out from within.

Come, go this way. Our people will guide you to our home world to discuss how to protect the sacred liquid. That which we believe to be the life blood of the Earth.

The two men cautiously entered the tunnel. The voice guided them down and they noticed the tunnel sealing closed behind them. They kept walking until what seemed like hours later and they then saw a light. The trail led to a roomful of people. They were friendly and very convincing, but Joe couldnt shake the unusual feeling that this strange group gave him. They were a beautiful people dedicated to the Earth in a way no one on the surface seemed capable of being.

They made Joe Kovacs feel extremely guilty for selling the Kirrilium-3 to the industry men in the first place. He was glad he had an opportunity to try and repair the mistake he and Jake had made. It was only then that he noticed that he and Jake hadnt said a word. Yet they had all come to a kind of understanding. They knew each others fears and failures. Life stories full of hopes and dreams. Theories and feelings all without speaking a single word!

It was so quick, that Jake and Joe relaxed and ate a delicious meal at a large wooden table. They knew what they had to do to correct things, but at first, it was up to Gemstar to shake things up a bit, top side. A video screen unfolded behind them and they could see their leader Gemstar strongly rippling up through the ground toward the men working on the new section of the plant above. Joe could see that Bill Shook was already there and would soon either be helping the Earth in a few moments, or be in a whole lot of trouble. Jake softly nudged Joe in the ribs and pointed at a pretty underground girl who kept staring over at them.

I know her life as though Ive known her for years...

Jake told him, Cut it out Jake. Dont let it get to your head. Weve got work to do!

Joe thought shed been looking at him, not Jake.

No, you dont understand, I think its really love this time! Jake said laughing.

They watched as the leader of the Under-Earth people advanced rapidly through the dirt and rocks to the work site.

Shooks in for a surprise!



Bill Shook watched his workers digging the rocky soil out around the new drilling units. They were fanatical workers, throwing shovels full of dirt in piles all around them at blinding speeds. They were a businessmans dream. They worked only for their food and lodging. The scientists at Newco laboratories had not predicted that these men would be able to live and work this long, much longer than they had lived in the test labs. So far none of the fifty men sent to the plant had died and they all seemed to be getting stronger on the fresh Kirrilium-3 they were able to consume at the plant site.

Yes! thought Shook, They were well worth the ten thousand dollars apiece they had cost in the beginning.

Franc Silver leaned in close to yell in his bosses ear, Theyll be finished here sometime tonight and well have six more drills online!

Thats great Franc. Have the men gather around. Ive got a few words for them.

Dont waste your words Bill. They only understand to work for food. Weve tried to talk to them, but they dont make any sense... WhaBill?

Franc stood there in shock as Bill Shook fell into a hole that opened directly beneath him. By the time he yelled for help, his boss was gone and the ground sealed over at the place where he fell.

Bill, what happened? Hey men, dig here! Bring those shovels. Be careful! Hes down there somewhere!

Ted Matthews ran down through the tunnel to the work site.

Mr. Silver, you must take over the command center. Ill handle it from here. Shook got himself swallowed up. It was on the video camera. I recommend you activate the tracer on Shook.

Ted Matthews grabbed a shovel and watched as Franc Silver ran up towards the plant building. The voices hed spoken with told him to wait until Franc was gone and then to stop the mining in any way possible.

If that meant killing these freak workers from the experimental labs then thats what hell have to do. he thought.

Those voices, which had come from some leaves on a tree near the Newco plant had frightened him at first. They warned him that they might take Shook down into the ground and talk with him. He didnt believe it until he saw it himself on the security camera.

He knew he might have to kill these men, but something about them made him feel as if they were already dead. The blank stares, and the cold, robotic way they moved. The K-3 they were eating couldnt be good for them. No matter what the lab reports said about it replacing body nutrient loss.

Alright, everyone quit and leave this site right now!

Ted Matthews knew theyd heard him, but they kept working. Ignoring him, they continued to dig around the drills.

I mean it men! Put down those tools and report back to your rest stations immediately!

They started to grumble a little but continued to work despite his words. He was afraid of that. He raised the weapon that the lab boys had made to control these men. When fired, it emitted a high-pitch sound that could only be heard by these strange workers. If he trained a few waves into the men, they would die. He directed the weapon at them, but it had no effect.

The men had become stronger than even the lab boys had thought. They raised their shovels and slowly walked toward Matthews. A voice calmly echoed throughout the chamber.“You need my help, come quickly! Turn around and run into the wall. We’ll make an opening for you. These men must be handled by us.”
Ted Matthews ran through an opening in the wall and felt relief that it closed up behind him as he ran. The voice spoke softly, thanking him for his help. He felt good, knowing that he’d tried to help make up in some way for the greed he’d felt before. Who needed power and money if there were no Earth left to live on? He ran further down the tunnel until he met Joe Kovacs.
“You! Joe? How’d you get out of that cell?” he asked, somehow sensing that he knew the answer.
“They rescued Jake and me. C’mon, they’re talking to Shook now. It’s on the video screen, this way.”
Joe led the way into a small chamber. Jake and some of the Under-Earth people were gathered around a video screen that showed a very frightened Bill Shook.
“It’s not going too good, Joe. Shook wants to see proof that these people can stop him.”
Jake pointed up at the screen. Shook talked in a small subterranean cave, Gemstar listening.
“...and I still don’t see how it’s hurting the planet. The Earth can take it. She’s huge and full of resources...”
Shook was interrupted by a voice filling his head, cutting out all thoughts. Gemstar spoke out and as he spoke, he used his underground powers to transform Shook.
“You will find out what it feels like. In this form you will remain until you realize how extracting the Kirrilium-3 has been hurting the Earth and why it needs to be returned.”
The head and shoulders of Bill Shook tore up through the ground and as he rose towards the surface he seemed to become the roots of a tree. Soon, he broke through the surface. In a few seconds, when the dust had cleared, it all became clear. He had become an eighteen foot oak tree growing on a ridge, overlooking Newco Industries! The small group in the room was shocked. Joe felt the waves of feeling wash over the people, at the severity, that their leader had taken with Shook. Gemstar’s image focused onto the video screen and he spoke, his voice full of energy.
“Joe, you and your men must leave the plant and the valley at once! We will provide an access way to the surface. You must leave and never say a word to the people you live among. Nothing about us! Your help will be remembered by us for centuries to come and we will not forget you! The Earth and everyone living on it can be glad you believed in us. We realize that our approach may have come as a shock to you, but we felt it had reached a critical stage. The sacred liquid had to be saved!”
Jake spoke out into the room, to the Under-Earth people and to Gemstar.
“Is this stuff, this K-3, really that important to the Earth?”
The thought filled their minds, as the men stood up to go finish the job. Gemstar had decided to answer Jake’s question with a very strong and dreamlike vision. They left the chamber and the lights came on strong. They were a very beautiful people with unique architecture and intricate, comfortable homes.
Joe almost wished that somehow they could continue the friendship with these strange and powerful people. The visual image came on them as they climbed the tunneled path toward the surface, the air growing warmer with each step.
It was Bill Shook, now an oak tree, taking in the warm afternoon air. He was reaching out, stretching his limbs up and he was crying. The tree gazed over at the Newco plant, it’s drills busily pulling up the Kirrilium-3 from deep within the ground. With every drop that spilled out of the units, a searing pain bit into Shook-tree. It burned with agonizing pain. The tree that had been an industry leader an hour before, soon began to realize that he needed the K-3 to live. Without it, he and the other trees, the grass, the people, everything on the planet Earth would die! Gemstar spoke soothingly to Shook-tree, calming the man. It was understood, there was to be an end to the mining of the Kirrilium. Shook-tree gave Gemstar the information he needed to seal the drill holes. The pain was tearing him up inside. The Kirrilium was all Shook-tree needed and it was being drained out of him, slowly by the Newco Industries plant.
The men left the plant. Hundreds walked, drove, and ran away, as, way down, deep beneath the plant a loud rumbling began to sound.
Shook-tree watched Franc Silver rush by, panicky and upset. The local workers were gone and only the fifty or so men from the Newco labs kept on the job, dependent on the K-3 they mined. The plant started to crumble inward in an explosion, and then the whole area fell down into the ground. The whole plant, the trucks, cars and the huge storage units fell in upon itself.
Instantly Shook-tree felt better, as he watched the dirt and rock flatten out over the valley. Where the huge buildings and equipment had been a moment before, now trees and grass sprouted up out of the ground. A small forest carpeted the area and the extreme pain Shook-tree had felt eased. He knew now that he’d been foolish and soon he might be a man once more. He felt a new pain, one he’d never felt before. For what he and others on the Earth had tried to do, for the first time Bill Shook felt guilt.

The End


© Copyright 2006 nightwriter_2008 (musicthearapy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1113777-Sacred-Arteries-Of-The-Earth