*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1114102-Vampires-are-real
by Shadow
Rated: E · Fiction · Death · #1114102
this is the story of why one man says that vampires do exist
Okay it's true. I believe in vampires. But I have proof, okay? I know what your thinking, he's spent to much time reading The National Enquierer, but I swear, I've never even touched that magazine. I used to be like you, safe in the world of ignorance, but not anymore.

You see, I work nights at a bar called Tommies, so I'm used to seeing strange things. That's probably why I ignored all the signs at first, stupid me. I was walking to my apartment, which is nothing to brag about, just a one story one bedroom type of place, when I heard a noise, like a coin dropping on a glass table. I turned to see if anyone was behind me, and to see if they needed any help. Nothing. I shrugged it off, saying my mind was playing tricks on me, and kept going.

Soon I came across a beggar lying on the sidewalk. I apologized to him for not having any money to give him, but he didn't respond. SInce his eyes were open, I hesitated, wondering if he was alright. I quickly noticed the stench of slight decay and his lack of breathing. I also noticed tiny splatters of blood that I had first taken to be spilled alcohol, though there weren't any marks on him.

Poor bastard, I thought, shaking my head. It made me appreciate that I had a place to live and people who cared. More than that guy ever had I'd bet. As I moved on, I heard a series of noises, like a walking cane when it hits cement, but when I looked behind me, I didn't see anything. Not even the dead beggar. I stopped short.

"What the hell?" I whispered.

"Feeding time."

I jumped at the sound of the voice, deep and gravelly with age, but I saw no one as I frantically looked around me. Now, before I go any further, I want to make something perfectly clear to you. I do not frighten easily. But that night, I was scared enough to piss my pants. I broke into a run, but didn't make it more than twenty feet before something grabbed me and slammed me against the wall. I grunted, out of breath. Before I could recover, I felt the most excrutiating pain in existance as whoever was holding me bit into my neck.

I tried to fight, but my attacker was supernaturally strong. Finally, exausted from blood loss and struggling, I blacked out. When I woke up, I was in my bed with the shades closed against the morning sunlight.

Only a dream, I thought, smiling. I went to my window and lifted the blinds to look outside. I hissed in pain and drew away as my skin quickly blackened and started smoking, like old parched paper. I could only stare, dumbstruck, as the burn then began to heal, not even leaving the tiniest mark when it was done. I carefully walked back to my bed and sat down, trying to absorb what had just happened. As could be expected, I was in shock. I knew about vampires, heck, my favorite movie is Dracula with Bela Lugosi. It didn't take an idiot to figure out what had happened to me. I had been attacked by a vampire, and for reasons only it knew, it had turned me. Heck the dead beggar was probably the vampire in question. If not, he had certainly been a vampire's meal at some point.

After all these things went through my head, I panicked. I called work and told them that for reasons I couldn't discuss, I had to quit. I then locked every opening in my apartment. I didn't want to get out. I didn't want to kill people. I just wanted to stay in my apartment until I withered away into dust.

I lasted two weeks before the hunger took over. I left the apartment and went on the hunt, not caring who or what I ate, just as long as it had blood. It wasn't that hard to find someone. I just gave them a sob story that matched my disheveld appearance and got them into a secluded area before feeding. Like now, with you. So you see, I do have proof of vampires. I am one. And I'm hungry.

THE END
© Copyright 2006 Shadow (shadowflame at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1114102-Vampires-are-real