*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1118974-The-Last-Story
by Momo
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Mystery · #1118974
It was the last story Anna ever wrote, which destroyed her life.Please rate & review.
THE LAST STORY


Anna Smith, a senior at Brookville High was headed towards her locker, after her math’s class. She was very happy because she got an “A” on her math’s test. It was not anything unusual for her because she was very good in math, and she loved it. Very few students love math and she was one of them. However, her happiness would not last long, as she worried about her next period, which was English language/literature. She hated language as much as she loved doing math and was very bad at it. She was busy, thinking of an excuse of not taking the test. She usually, did not take any tests and got an “F” and if she did, it was the same story.

She was still thinking when she heard the bell ringing. She picked up her books and entered the classroom. After all the students were seated, Mr. Frank their language teacher, who was in his late forties, entered the classroom. “Girls and boys may I have your attention for a moment,” he said in a tone of authority.

After he had everyone’s attention, he continued, “As you all know today is a test and it is very simple, as well as interesting, I hope you will enjoy it,” he continued. “I would like you all to write a short story, about your worst enemy. How and why she/he is your enemy and how would you like he or she to end up?” he said with a grin on his face.
At that moment, the whole class began to whisper and chuckle.

“Silence please, there is one more thing. This will be a work of fiction, no one will use real names, and if you do not have any enemies just make them up. No offense will be taken and I want the test complete at the end of the period,” he said strictly.

After a few seconds he came to Anna and said, “I hope you do well and I want no excuse this time” he said warningly. Then he went to his desk and started reading a book.

Meanwhile, Anna was thinking what she should write and then she noticed the person she hated the most, sitting in the next row. Melanie Jones was one of those girls who were rich and spoiled. Anna hated her because last year Melanie hit Anna’s car in the parking lot and instead of apologizing, she blamed Anna for the accident. She made Anna pay for the damage of her car and Anna had to pay for her own damage too. They were not as rich as Melanie was. Other then that, Melanie always humiliated her in the public, whenever possible.

Anna wrote a story about Melanie and ended her story, by blowing up her car with Melanie herself in it.

At the end of the period, she submitted her test and was picking up her things to go, when Melanie passed her, and said with sarcasm, “Hope you did not wrote about me, but as it is I wrote you loser”.

“Yes” she admitted. “I wrote about you and I hope you end up the same way as you did in my story” Anna added quickly, but later regretted her words.

It was the last period; she went home in her dad’s old car. Anna loved her dad more than anything in this world. Her dad had a small business of auto spare parts and they lived in a small cottage. Her dad worked hard for her, he loved her twice more than she loved him. He did every thing he could, to make her happy. Her mother left them when she was five and the next night, she died in an accident.

After cleaning up the house, bringing the grocery, preparing the dinner and doing her homework, her father came back home from work. Then they had dinner together and by the time, she went to bed it was 11:00 at night, as she was very tired so she quickly fall a sleep.

She had a horrible strange dream that night. In which she saw, that she had a special power in her to control the fate of many people but because of her many people died and at last, she kills herself.

When she woke up the next morning, she could not recall her dream. It was 6:30 am; she was up took a shower, dressed up and made breakfast for herself and her dad.

Finally, after her mundane activities when she arrived at school assembly everyone’s face was dull, some girls, probably friends of Melanie were crying. Even Melanie’s sister Heather was crying, her eyes deep red and swollen. She pushed her way through the whispering crowd. Finally, she found Pam her only and best friend. Her face was also pale.
“What happened? Why are they crying?” she asked curiously.

“Don’t you know?” Pam asked surprised. “Melanie died yesterday night”.

“What? How did it happen?” Anna asked who was shocked

“She was at the gas station and there was probably a leakage of gas and the worker there on duty was smoking a cigarette. He accidentally threw a lighted cigarette on it and the whole place blew up. That is all I know,” Pam explained.

“Poor Melanie, how sad, she was so young to die,” Anna said, still in shock.
She did not mean whatever she wrote and said to Melanie. Then she realized that Melanie had died exactly the same way as in her story. At first, she felt guilty, but as the day passed, she convinced herself that it had to be a coincidence.

*****

The next six weeks were a blast for Anna, her life changed completely. Many good, as well as bad things happened. She discovered her special gift. She wrote a romantic story about herself and the handsome hunk of the school Sam. Soon after that, he became her boyfriend. Similarly, she wrote a story about herself becoming rich and immediately, her father got three big supply orders, from big companies for auto spare parts. However, with every one wish, someone died. First Sam’s mother died and than her best friend Pam. They were all horribly burned to death.

It was Saturday night and she was restlessly lying down on her bed. She had everything now; a big house, convertible BMW, a big bedroom, great social life, latest accessories, cloths and what not. There was only one thing she did not have, that was peace. She had not slept peacefully since two months. She was very upset about the deaths and she knew it was because of her, that is why she was feeling guilty. She had made up her mind, that she will not ever write any story in the future.

She was lying down, when she heard a pistol shot coming from her father’s room. Still in her nightgown, she hurried towards her father’s room.

When she entered the room, the first thing she saw was a broken window. Then she saw that her father’s safe was open and all the money was gone. Then she realized that there has been a robbery in their house.
Gradually her gaze fell on the carpet, where her father was lying unconscious, and blood was flowing from his heart, where he had been shot. She quickly went to her father and checked his pulse. He was dead. She could not believe, she was so shocked, that for next few minutes she was perfectly still. Then she began to cry loudly and scream.
“Nooooooooooo, this can not happen, not with me,” she screamed loudly.

Then suddenly she got up and brought a paper and pencil from the desk. She wrote a small story about her father coming back from death. After finishing, she sat there, perfectly still looking at her father. Suddenly, a pretty woman in a white gown appeared in front of her. Anna recognized her, she was her mother.

“It you want your father back my dear, you will lose a precious thing,” said the women in a sweet voice. “Do you still want him back?” the woman asked.
When Anna nodded in agreement, suddenly the woman changed into a blazing fire. “It is your life which you will lose,” she said in a hoarse cruel voice, before throwing a ball of fire at her.

Anna watched her with fear, as the fireball hit her and she burned to death. Then the woman again changed back into a beautiful woman. She knelt beside her husband. “Do not worry honey, you will soon join me and our daughter in hell,” she whispered in his ear, in the same sweet voice.

*****
A week has now passed, since Anna’s mysterious death. Her father was
found alive, with only a small wound on his forehead. However, when he came to know about his daughter’s horrible death, he committed suicide. After all, he did join his family in Hell.

No one knew what happened that night but we know, don’t we?

*****************************************************************************************

Author's Note

Please do rate and give reviews.

Thank you for reading my story*Smile*
© Copyright 2006 Momo (momo12 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1118974-The-Last-Story