*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1123255-Home-Alone
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Horror/Scary · #1123255
This is my Struck by Lightning contest entry.
         She wrote in her diary that she had seen the man. The phones were all broken, and Natalie had given up hope. The only option left was to let everyone know what had happened. Footsteps drew closer and closer, approaching the attic slowly but surely. Natalie sat beside her younger brother, a mere toddler, who had no idea what was going on. As she heard the doorknob turn, Natalie wrote her final goodbyes, hoping someone, anyone, would find her diary. The very last page was a note to her parents, who had left their two children home alone. They thought a teenager would be able to keep her and her brother safe, but not under these circumstances.
         As she wrote, she remembered the past few minutes, although they felt like days. Sitting in her first floor bedroom, listening to her favorite CD, she looked out the window onto the cool, dark night. A mysterious man was walking up the driveway, and she noticed the knife in his coat pocket, horrified. Natalie ran to her brother’s room and carried him to the attic. Now, they were in the attic, sitting and waiting to find out what was going to happen.
         The door opened with a flourish, revealing a man with a sinister look on his face. A knife was sparkling brightly in his hand. “Hello...” The man laughed maniacally, and Natalie and her brother watched in horror.
         “Stop! You can’t do this! I won’t let you kill us!"
         The stranger locked the door calmly and smoothly, and flashed a smile at his prisoners. He laughed again, much quieter and with amusement. He held the knife firmly and looked around the room. His eyes turned curiously to Natalie’s diary, sitting in the dusty corner. The man stepped slowly to the small blue journal, making loud, booming noises with every step. He picked it up and thumbed through it, and stopped at the final page. The note was filled with evidence, proof that he was the murderer. “I’ll take this. No one will need to see this last page, now, will they?”
         With a loud rip, the man tore the final page of the diary out, and ripped it to shreds in his hand. He opened the window and threw the pieces out. They blew away in the wind like pieces of confetti. The stranger closed the window with a loud bang. “Now, where was I?”
         Natalie’s heart was beating with intensity. “No, please! Don’t! You can’t! No!” She let out a blood curdling scream and turned away from the man’s grim stare.
         There was no convincing this sick, twisted man. He had made up his mind. He walked up to the toddler and held him to the floor with his powerful hands. The tip of the knife barely touched his chest.
         “Good riddance!”

Word Count- 470
© Copyright 2006 Becky_Boop (lollybec at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1123255-Home-Alone