*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1124837-Khaeas-Request
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #1124837
In the aftermath of the battle, Khaea returns to Len with a favor to ask.
LEGEND OF THE OMNIMAGI
Chapter 5: Khaea's Request

"At last...after all that's happened, all that I've gone through...I've found it!"

Len looked ahead with the eyes of a man seeing his wildest fantasy become reality before him. His heart swelled as he read the words engraved on the object of his desire.

"The Greenwood Tavern. Finally, some food! Oh gods, it smells so good..."

The villagers were all talking about Len and the battle that had taken place only a half hour ago, and there would certainly be more than a couple of people anxious either to talk to him or run away from him as quickly as possible. But Len didn't care. The prospect of food overpowered any sense of embarrassment. Smiling freely, he walked inside and began looking for an empty table.


Like the rest of the village, the building was simply designed and lacking in atmosphere outside of its rustic charm. Besides a few windows, a painting or two, and the rack of liquor bottles lining the wall behind the bar, the place was nothing but plain-looking tables and chairs, some filled with plain-looking people conversing with each other and looking directly at the white-haired mage in their midst.

As he examined the place, he began to notice the eyes of several nervous villagers watching him as if he were a ticking time-bomb. The purveyors of the bar, filling nearly all of the seats, had even turned away from their drinks to watch his every step. ...um...maybe I should find a table, he thought to himself, and quickly he found an empty table in the corner. The people's eyes followed him, which almost made Len lose his appetite. Okay, this is starting to creep me out a little.

As soon as he sat down, a young waitress ran up to him. She was shaking. "H-hello there. What c-can I get you?"

Before Len ordered, he noticed her eyes darting between him and the staff in his hand. Oh! Of course. I should probably put this thing away; I doubt they see a lot of mages around these parts. "Just one second," he quickly told the waitress.

With the staff firmly in hand, Len arose and silently began levitating his staff (to the sound of many people gasping). He then turned the hovering staff sideways, placed one hand on each hand, and began bringing his hands together, as if he was playing an accordion. As his hands moved closer, the staff seemingly began to shrink, until at last his hands hand. When he returned them to his sides, the staff had vanished from sight.


"Sorry about that, everyone," Len called out. "I didn't mean to scare you. It's alright, the staff is gone."

This appeared to please the villagers, and many of them went about their business, though they continued talking about Len in hushed whispers.

Finally. Now I can enjoy my food in peace. The waitress, now looking fit to faint, managed to stand her ground. Realizing the woman was waiting for his order, he sat down. "Alright then. Hmm...what's the special for today?"

-----

"Hi! Excuse me, but I'm looking for a young man, a mage, with white hair. Have you seen him?"

"Oh...he's with you? Figures. He's down at the tavern, near the center of town. I hear he's causing quite an uproar."

"Uh, thanks."

"Please, just find him and leave us be!"

Khaea couldn't help but notice the attitude she was getting from the people of the village. It bugged her to be treated like that, but she figured they had reason enough for it. After all, she and two other mages had just brawled in their streets, with no explanation, and then left.

Right now, though, her main concern was the helpful stranger. That hunter was stronger than most of the people I've had to deal with, and that guy comes out of nowhere and makes him look like a chump! As if that weren't enough, he barely looked older than me! I wonder if he'd be willing to help me...

Showing the same speed with which she'd entered the village, Khaea soon found herself at the steps of the Greenwood Tavern. "Hmph, no signs of an uproar," she mused to herself, sounding almost disappointed. Unknowingly ignoring the same stares Len had received a short time earlier, she walked in.


After a quick glance around, seeing the villagers repeat their nervous looks at her, she spotted her target in the corner and slowly made her way to him. He was eating some kind of meat, ravishing it like he hadn't eaten in days, breaking only to take a swig from a strange blue bottle. Whatever its contents were, it was giving the bottle itself a strange glow.

"Hey there. Mind if I sit down?"

Len swallowed a mouthful and looked up. Oh boy. "Oh, it's you. Uh, sure, I guess. You want something to eat?" he added as an afterthought.

"What? Oh, no. You've done enough for me already, and I'm not that hungry anyway. My name's Khaea. What's yours?"

"Len. So, Miss Khaea, to what do I owe the pleasure?"

Khaea flinched. She hated being called Miss. "Please, just Khaea. Well, first off, I wanted to thank you. I don't know if I'd still be alive if you hadn't jumped in."

"Don't mention it," replied Len, taking another swig from the blue bottle. "The guy looked like he was gonna torch the place if I didn't stop him, so I stepped in. Was there something else?"

"Well...I was wondering if you would come travel with me for a little while."

"Huh? Why?"

Khaea smiled "To protect me, of course."
© Copyright 2006 Robert Langmaack (faulkon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1124837-Khaeas-Request