*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1125316-Lens-Decision
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #1125316
Len is faced with a decision; continue his journey alone, or join up with Khaea?
LEGEND OF THE OMNIMAGI
Chapter 6: Len's Decision

"To protect you?"

Khaea nodded, smiling innocently. "Yep."

For a few moments, Len looked over his new acquaintance as if searching for the punchline to some bizarre joke. Was this crazy-haired, bounty hunter-evading criminal seriously expecting him to go with her, just in case she had to go through a repeat performance of fleeing for her life?

"...you're insane. Go away," he said in a deadpan tone.

"Aw, come on!" She looked straight at Len, trying to give him the puppy-dog eyes. It didn't have any effect. She pouted, "Why won't you help me?"

With a deep sigh, Len took another swig of his drink and began to explain. "Three reasons. One, I don't like associating with criminals. Especially the ones with mercenaries after their hide. Too much hassle. Two, as previously stated, you're insane for thinking I would do this. And three, perhaps most importantly, I have my own plans that I have to attend to. So, Khaea, while I'd love to travel the world with a delusional bounty-head, I really have to get to Norrene soon. Sorry."


To Len's surprise, Khaea reacted to his refusal with joy, rather than disappointment. "You're going to Norrene?" she said anxiously.

"Uh, yeah...oh, no. Don't tell me..."

"That's where I'm going! I have to meet up with some friends of mine, but it's a few days' walk from here. If another one of those mages attacks me and I'm all alone...well, you were there. So, will you help me now?"

Len groaned. Damn. This girl isn't gonna leave me alone until I say yes, is she? This is such a hassle. What to do, what to do... After a moment of contemplation, his shoulders shrugged in resignation. "Alright, alright. But ONLY to Norrene. After that, you're on your own. Got it?"

Khaea, beaming, leapt at the answer. "You bet! As soon as I meet up with my friends, I'll leave you alone." Then she sat down quickly next to him, nearly knocking his drink over, and called the waitress. "Hi! I think I'll have whatever he's having..."

"...except the drink," interrupted Len. "Just water for her, thanks. And put her order on my bill."

Once the waitress left, Khaea turned to Len, looking angry. "What's the big idea? I wanted some of that blue stuff!"

"Quit whining. How old are you, anyway?"

"I don't see how it matters, but I'm twenty. Why?"

"Really? Huh, I undershot it a bit...anyway. this 'blue stuff', as you so put it, is a lot stronger than you think." Khaea looked ready to pout again, but suddenly Len pushed the bottle towards her, with a strange smile on his face. "I'll tell you what; there's only a swig left in here. Go ahead, try it. Just don't blame me for what happens."


After glancing at Len, looking for any tricks he had up his sleeve, Khaea decided to take up his challenge. She grabbed the bottle and chugged down the last few drops of the drink. At first, it merely tasted weird (for a beer, anyway), but after a couple of seconds, she swore she felt her chair begin to move on its own. Feeling a little weak all of a sudden, Khaea grabbed onto the table and prayed it would remain stationary.

Len simply watched with a half-curious grin. "Never seen a non-mage drink Blue Phoenix Dew that quickly before. I told you it was strong, but you just had to find out for yourself."

"Shut up! I'm getting dizzy. Please, just help me out. Can't you, I dunno, magic me better or something?"

"Yeah. Just gimme a second." Chuckling in spite of himself, Len focused for a moment, then waved his hand in front of Khaea's forehead. She felt a strange sensation follow, like something cooling down inside of her brain. However, seconds later, her senses were restored to normal. Before she could celebrate, though, she felt a headache start up.

"Wow. Thanks. Now can you do something about this..."

"No," Len answered early. "That part's kind of inevitable, magic or no. I told you not to drink it."

"Alright, alright. Ow..." Khaea moaned, rubbing her head in an attempt to ease the pain. Her food showed up, and she began drinking the water, thankful that it was something nonalcoholic. "So, uh, why are you going to Norrene?"


The question surprised Len. "Huh? Why do you want to know?"

"Just curious," she replied. "Besides, if we're going to be travelling together for the next few days, I think we should at least know why we're going to the same place. Or is it some big secret?"

He hesitated for a moment, unsure of whether or not to answer. Eventually, he quietly answered, "Someone in that town ripped me off on some information. I intend to get a refund."

Khaea smirked. "I don't think the word 'refund' exists there."

"Maybe not," he said, frowning at the memory of the information dealer. "But I'll teach it to that guy, one way or another. 'Blue tattoo'...hmph! Some help he was..."

"Aww," she mockingly consoled. "Did someone get ripped off? Poor baby..."

Len just glared at her. I shouldn't have cured her. She was much less annoying when she was dizzy.

Khaea laughed quietly. "Heh, sorry. But come on, it's, like, the biggest den of thieves on this continent. What did you expect?"

"...do you want me to leave you behind? Because I can, you know."

"Oh, don't be so touchy. I was just kidding." Not wanted to rub her new friend the wrong way so quickly, she decided to change the subject. "So, what kind of 'information' were you looking for?"

"You're awfully nosy, you know," Len relied coldly.

Khaea simply smiled. "I know. So, what're you looking for? I travel a lot. Maybe I can help."


Len had a sarcastic retort at the edge of his lips, but he held back. Hmm...it's a long shot, but...even if I get my money back, there's little chance of getting any reliable information out of that guy. And who knows how long it'll be until I find another lead? If she does know anything, she's obviously not interested, or she would've gone after it by now. Or maybe she did and just...

"Ah, the hell with it," he finally said aloud, although to himself. If he kept thinking about it, he'd just end up going in circles. He looked up to his new companion. "Alright. Let me tell you what I know about Kh'altean Ore. The whole mess started about 2,500 years ago..."
© Copyright 2006 Robert Langmaack (faulkon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1125316-Lens-Decision