*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1129714-Beth
Rated: 13+ · Other · Emotional · #1129714
Obsession and the consequences.....
From the first moment she entered the world, she was beautiful
Blond curly locks that glowed in the sun
Big blue eyes that glimmered with hope and happiness
and a smile that could light up anyone’s heart…
She never cried nor angered, her purity displaying itself in her vivid, penetrating stare and angelic features…
She was the epitome of innocence,
however, her perfection, the flaw.

From the first moment he laid eyes on her, he knew he was in love.
She looked up at him with her piercing blue eyes, and smiled…warm, natural….loving
He was in awe, like everyone else, of her beauty, charm and calm nature.
He dotted on her from the very beginning and as she grew up, he made it his goal to ensure that she was happy, with him.
He was fifteen at the time.

The years went by and, over that time, she developed into a stunning child.
She was intelligent and inquisitive, even at her young age, always eager to learn…
Her family adored her, as did the rest of the town.
But it was he who would do anything for her.
No matter the consequences.

Her tenth birthday was a big ordeal.
Friends, family, almost everyone came to celebrate the day Beth came into the world.
She looked so sweet in her pink gingham pinafore with matching lacy bloomers….
She was skipping rope, away from the crowd…
13……25…….31…….39………….
She never heard him come up behind her. She was oblivious.
The hand that covered her mouth was all too familiar, but yet, unknown.
Her screams were muffled by the rustling of bushes,
and before anyone knew it, Beth was gone.

The blindfold went on her eyes very quickly and she lost her bearings.
She could hear doors slamming, feet on stairs, dogs barking, and then quiet.
Everything went quiet……and dark.
She awoke sometime later with an aching head and limbs that were tied to posts in the wall.
She was hanging in mid air, with only her arms keeping her off the rat infested floor.
The only light came from an aging bulb dangling from the ceiling.
She paused, and took a breath before looking around the musty area.

Pictures.
Pictures splashed the old walls.
Pictures of her…
jumping rope, walking to school, playing with the dog, entering her house.
She knew the identity of the culprit immediately.
Beth knew he was standing there, watching her reaction, waiting to be reassured…
He crawled out from under the stairs and stood up, inches from her body.
He smiled at her, fixated on her eyes.

His finger traced the outline of her forehead, cheek, nose, chin, neck, collarbone and all the way down to the tips of her toes.
He looked back up at her and smiled, again.
“I’m going to save you, Beth.” He whispered.
Slowly, he took her off the wall and carried her, infant-like, into the back room.
He closed the door behind him.

For ten days, Beth was locked in that room with him.
For ten days, Beth suffered; more than anyone should have.
For ten days, Beth….
Beth isn’t so innocent anymore.

The door was left open on the eleventh morning and she walked out.
She just, walked out.
She walked across the street and stood looking up at her parents’ house, as if an intruder.
Back and forth, her eyes darted from one house to the other; unsure as to which realm she should continue her life in.
Time ticked on and still she stood.
Uneasy and confused, she stood still, staring both perfection and flaw in the face.
© Copyright 2006 christimarie (christimarie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1129714-Beth