*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1131280-Phoenix-Ch-2
by Billi
Rated: E · Chapter · Crime/Gangster · #1131280
Chapter 2 in my story about Phoenix
         Later that same day, Phoenix learned that Deacon was testing his limits. The new kid was already spreading new rumors about Phoenix, but different from the others. He was telling people that he'd seen Phoenix with one of the cheerleaders. When Phoenix heard that new rumor being whispered, he had to smile. He knew exactly who it was that had started this one. Only a few people would see girls as a weakness and Phoenix had only teased one of them about it. The cheerleaders' reactions to this rumor, however, made it worth it. They were all anxious to tell everyone that it wasn't them who had been with the boy who was considered 'social suicide'. Deacon had been smooth with it and didn't mention a name, so all of the girls on the squad were open to suspicion. Phoenix easily knew how to respond to this new threat. Between two of his classes, he normally strolled past Layna's locker. Luckily, that day, she was there. Ignoring the renewed stares from every side questioning Phoenix, he slid over to Deacon's crush, knowing exactly what to say. He kept his voice low as he whispered in her ear, making her jump.

         "Hey, Layna. I figured I'd tell you that that new kid, Deacon, is making plans. He wants to get your boy suspended so he'll have a chance to get with you while Robbie's out of school. You might wanna tell him that he won't get a chance, no matter what. That would keep him from getting any more crazy ideas. Don't read into this, I just wanted to warn you," Phoenix explained calmly. Layna listened, obviously curious with a slight fear at hearing that demonic voice in her ear. When it registered what she had heard, she turned to fully look at Phoenix. It seemed as though she wanted him to say that she had really heard it. He knew by the look in her eyes that his job was done. Calmly, he slipped back into the crowd and split it so he could walk with no obstacles. He guessed that Layna was watching him leave, trying to figure whether or not to believe him. Of course, Phoenix was depending on her believing him and if she didn't, he'd just have to change tactics. At the moment, though, he wanted to shake up Deacon a little bit. He was calm as he strolled down the hall. One person opened their locker too close and, out of instinct, Phoenix punched it closed again and didn't even slow down. When he reached his next class, Phoenix saw the new kid standing outside the room, talking to a few people. Not scary at all. He had given up that act, taking Phoenix's advice on one thing. Deacon was in the middle of the group, so Phoenix calmly walked up to him and shoved him into the wall. The rest of the people in that little group slid away pretty quickly. Deacon, however, had nowhere to go. Phoenix stepped right up to him and made sure the new kid knew how things went in this school.

         "All right, Deacon, you've already managed to start new rumors about me. Not bad for your first day, but it's not a good idea at all. This school may seem as though it's run by jocks and cheerleaders. But if you get me mad, you'll realize just how much control I can have around here and I can use every bit of that. I can and will destroy you, kid. I told you to watch yourself and you ignored that. Now's the time to back down because you can't hide behind the rumors. I'll always know if you started them or not. So, yet again, watch yourself, Deacon," Phoenix warned, his voice more of a hiss than usual. His eyes flared at Deacon, who looked like he wanted to be tough, but it wasn't working. After a moment of dead silence, Phoenix calmly pushed a few people out of his way and slid into his classroom. Because of the little confrontation outside the class, there was only one student in the class already. She barely glanced up when Phoenix entered, but he knew that she had heard the commotion outside. He also knew that this girl would be the only person to understand him at all. He slipped into his seat next to her and pulled out his notebook. Phoenix saw a small smile cross her face. She had asked him a few times if she could read his notebook, but got shot down every time, of course. He leaned away from her and began to write again. Just then, the bell rang, making the girl jump. And the group that had been in the hall made their way into the classroom and to their seats. Except for Deacon, who headed for the teacher's desk in the back of the room. He didn't know where he was supposed to be yet. He made sure to walk past Phoenix, who ignored the new kid.

         "Ah, a new kid," the teacher, Mr. Jackson commented. Mr. Jackson was a younger teacher, just out of college. This was only his second year at the high school. So, he still acted like a student sometimes. There were only two empty desks in the classroom, so Deacon didn't have much choice in his seat. Luckily, both were on the opposite side of the room as Phoenix's.

         "Could I maybe sit by Layna? She's in one of my other classes, so she could probably help me out," Deacon asked Mr. Jackson quietly. Only a few people heard it, and only Phoenix knew what it meant. He laughed quietly, earning himself a few curious stares, which he didn't repay with a stare of his own. Instead, he finished with what he was writing and closed his notebook. When he looked up, Deacon was sitting in the desk right in front of Layna. He turned and asked her something and Phoenix saw that her eyes were spiteful. She had believed him about Deacon. The new kid didn't know it, but Phoenix could now control the way Layna saw Deacon. Now Deacon would see why liking a girl was a weakness in Phoenix's eyes. Perfect.
© Copyright 2006 Billi (chaosangel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1131280-Phoenix-Ch-2