*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1130916-Phoenix-Ch-1
by Billi
Rated: E · Chapter · Crime/Gangster · #1130916
This is the first chapter [after my intro] in a story about an almost normal teenage boy.
         One day, though, there was a new student in Phoenix's classes. Most of the other kids paid the boy no attention, but Phoenix knew better than that. The boy's name was Deacon and he seemed ready to take Phoenix's place as the most feared boy in school. During lunch, Phoenix watched Deacon closely. At that school, there was an outdoor place where students could eat their lunches. Phoenix stood against a large tree in that area and observed the new boy. Deacon was sitting on a picnic bench by the school doors, casually lounging on top of the table, with his back against the school. He had dark blond hair and dark eyes, which seemed to be as emotionless as Phoenix's. Except for one moment, when a girl from a few of Phoenix's classes strolled by. Then Deacon's eyes flashed with interest, watching her carefully. When he saw that, Phoenix had to smile coldly. Now he knew that the new boy already had a weakness. That cold act wasn't going to last long if Deacon met that girl. Phoenix calmly sauntered over to the picnic table and sat down on the bench, completely ignoring Deacon. But Phoenix could feel the new kid's eyes on him, examining this other boy who caused fear so easily. Phoenix slid his notebook out of his jacket and began writing, still ignoring Deacon's prying eyes. After a few minutes of silence, Phoenix had finished what he was writing and he slipped the notebook back into its hiding spot. When he felt that the new boy had looked away, the original fear of the school calmly slid from his spot and joined the kid in sitting on top of the table. They both sat in silence for a minute or so, neither one had anything to say. Phoenix saw the girl heading back past them and glanced over at her admirer next to him. Phoenix laughed quietly, avoiding Deacon's curious looks.

         "Okay, who are you, why are you laughing and why are you over here anyway?" Deacon questioned quickly, obviously working to make his voice low and seem scary. Phoenix coolly looked at the new kid, easily making his eyes cold. It never took much effort on his part. He saw that Deacon was fighting to keep emotion out of his dark brown eyes, but wasn't really succeeding. That made Phoenix smile, a simple smile that caused more fear than it relieved. After a moment, Phoenix decided to answer the boy's questions. As opposed to Deacon's fake voice in an attempt to be fear-inducing, Phoenix's voice was carefully composed to sound calm, yet villianous.

         "First off, you're not scary. You've only been here less than a day and already you have a weakness," Phoenix informed the new kid. When Deacon looked confused, Phoenix gestured towards Layna, who had so easily caught Deacon's stares. At that, Deacon's eyes had a glint of anger in them, as though he had fought against being so readable. He opened his mouth to respond, but Phoenix held up his hand and continued, "Also, you think you're all tough, but that's all an act and it's obvious. The whole school is gonna know that soon, so you'd better drop it now before they all meet you. That way, you don't get beat too bad. Believe me, we've got fighters in this school. I've beat every one of them that's stepped to me, so watch yourself. And, lastly, you don't wanna know me, punk," Phoenix added before he slid off the tabletop. As he casually headed back in the school, he heard Deacon whisper to him.

         "Hey, man, I gotta know. What's her name?" Phoenix glanced over at Deacon's wanting brown eyes and his own eyes sparkled, but his lips didn't smile.

         "Her name's Layna. She's too good for a kid like you, though. Fair warning," Phoenix informed the kid, his voice raspier as he stepped away from Deacon. With his back to the new kid and a glint in his eyes, Phoenix went into the school with a grin. He now had someone new and was free to mess with the kid's mind. These next few days were bound to be interesting.
© Copyright 2006 Billi (chaosangel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1130916-Phoenix-Ch-1