*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1136085-Through-Anothers-Eyes
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1136085
.. Or how Caroline got her eyes back.
THROUGH ANOTHER’S EYES


Caroline woke up feeling very disheveled. She stretched, yawned, and then stretched again, before she settled back into her pillow.
"Wait a minute" She muttered to herself. "This is not my pillow. Come to think about it, this is not even my bed." she wriggled around and then tried to open her eyes, and found out that she couldn't.
"Oh lord! What is going on?" She raised up her hands to where her eyes were supposed to be. Instead of eyes, she touched bandages.
"What ,in the name of fire, is this? Where am I?" When she did not get answers, she started screaming. After a few minutes, she heard a nurse's voice.
"Ms. Evans, if you do not screaming, you are going to get hurt again."

"Get hurt?" She screamed. "Get hurt? Where in the world am I?. I can't even see. For all I know, I am hurt at this moment." She stretched out her hands and caught the nurse.
"Where am I? What is going on? Where are my eyes? Where..."
"You can't remember anything, can you?" Said the nurse in a sympathetic voice.

That was when Caroline remembered. She had just broken up with Brad and she was on her way home, when an old stupid drunkard walked out in front of her car. She veered to avoid hitting him and instead she hit a tree.


"What happened?" She asked the nurse. " I mean, how am I doing?"
"Ms. Evans, you...you... I should call the doctor."
"O spill it," She snapped. " I have a right to know."
"Your eyes were damaged by the accident and you lost your eyesight. You..."
"That's probably for the best."
The nurse stopped talking and looked at her.
"Why do you say that?"
"Because I was really tired of living. I have watched both my parents die and I have buried two children. Every time I look around, all I see is death and despair. My best friend and my husband died in a plane crash and her parents never recovered from it. If the accident had not occurred, I would have probably committed suicide"
After her revelation, the nurse looked at her and sighed.
"If you had a chance to see the world again, would you take it?"
"Probably. I am alive now and my wishes have changed. If God had wanted me to die, I would be dead by now. I am alive now and I want to see. But that is too late. I am blind."
The nurse smiled and walked away. A few minutes later, she came back with the doctor and together, they put Caroline in a wheel chair.
"Where am I going?" Asked Caroline
"Its a surprise."
She was wheeled into an examination room and the doctor proceeded to take off the bandages.
"What in God's name are you doing?"
"Just keep quiet and watch." Said the nurse.
After a few minutes, the doctor removed the bandages and asked her to open her eyes. With great reluctance, she opened her eyes and discovered something intriguing.
"I can see. I can actually see." She turned on the nurse. "Why you... you said I could not see."
"You did not let me finish. After you were rushed in, we operated on you and replaced your eyes, we just weren't sure that your body would accept it.

Caroline walked to mirror and looked at herself. Instead of blue, fiery green eyes stared back at her.
"Whose eyes are these?"
"They belonged to a 14 yr old girl. She was full of life and a whole lot of temper. She wanted to become an artist, but she was involved in a terrible accident. She did not make it."

Caroline walked to the window and looked outside. She could see the birds and the clouds. She could see hope floating the air. She raised up her eyes to the sky and realized that she perceived the world in a different light. Through another's eyes.
© Copyright 2006 Saved Star-Out of country (cmorah1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1136085-Through-Anothers-Eyes