*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1136712-Small-Indulgences
Rated: 13+ · Monologue · Romance/Love · #1136712
Monologue. A woman makes an impulsive, maybe disastrous, decision.
Small Indulgences

Abby, mid-thirties to forties, sits on the edge of a writing desk talking on the phone to a friend.
Well, I did it. Yes, I did. And you were right about the whole therapy thing. It was very...well, it was liberating, you know? I feel lighter, like I just cleaned out all of my closets. Do you want to hear it? I have it right here, I'll read it to you. (picks up a letter and starts to read aloud)

Dear Sam,
There hasn't been a day in the past decade that I haven't thought of you. You have lingered in my mind all this time. I have tried everything to get you out of my head. But I just can't stop wondering about you; what do you do for a living? Who are your friends now? Are you happy? Mostly that. If you are happy. When you read this letter, will it be read by that Sam I knew and loved all those years ago, or will it be a stranger who won't remember who I was way back then? Because, deep down, I'm still her. And no matter how happy my husband makes me, no matter how proud I am of my beautiful children, I can't forget you, Sam. I hope you haven't forgotten me.
Love,
Abby

What do you think? Well, of course there's nothing juicy in it. I'm not having sexual fantasies about him, for God's sake. And even if I was, I sure wouldn't write it down. What if someone read it? No, I'm not going to send it to him. I thought the whole idea was to write it as if you're going to send it to the person, not to actually do it. I even addressed an envelope with his name and address, just to make it realistic(laughs). Are you crazy? What if he wrote me back? I can just imagine Jack walking in the door waving his letter around saying “Hey, Abby, who's this Sam guy?” and me having to explain to him why I am corresponding secretly with my ex-boyfriend. Yeah, well, easy for you to say. Your 'therapy letter' was to your mother. (Doorbell rings) Oh, I gotta go. The mailman's at the door – he must have a package. Yeah, right, I'll think about it. See you later. Bye.
She looks at the letter, thinking, then folds it and places it in the envelope, seals it, looks at it again, and puts a stamp on it. Crosses to open the front door for the mailman, takes the package, hesitates, hands him the letter and closes the door.
© Copyright 2006 queenforaday (rccallahan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1136712-Small-Indulgences