*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1137537-On-Our-Own-July-06-Newsletter
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Letter/Memo · Career · #1137537
marketing and the use of the term 'vanity publishing'
Hello!

As we continue sliding through the sweltering summer (or winter, depending on your part of the world), those hours that are too uncomfortable for outdoor wanderings can be filled with something more exciting: marketing research! Okay, so it's not exciting, exactly, but I do enjoy those times when I can find a cost-free marketing technique. At least cost-free is exciting.

Upon finishing the publication process of my novel, work increased on the marketing aspect. I say increased instead of began because unlike with my first book, I began marketing before the book was sent in for publishing. One thing I did was to join that parent-dreaded website, Myspace.com. Reaching the appropriate market needs to be a key part of the process. Since my novel revolves around a band and a dancer and young twenty-somethings, I decided it could be a good place to get the word around. It has worked to an extent; several new friends have said they are interested. I've yet to know if they have bought it, but interest is a start. In addition, I have made new friends and contacts. I invest only my time in it.

Another free marketing site I found today is Froogle; Google's list of online shopping. I will add an entry with more detail in our Market Listings forum. Please feel free to add anything you find there, as well.

For those of you also working on publishing or marketing, I wish you well and hope you will share your experiences with us.


** Image ID #1121990 Unavailable **

Self-Publishing Issues



I mentioned in last month's newsletter a bit about vanity publishing. This title has encompassed the whole blanket of companies offering publishing services for a fee. The problem with this is that it's as condescending as calling literary fiction written by women chick lit. The truth is there are many different quality levels of POD/fee-based publishers. There are also many publishers and traditional writers out there putting down author-originated publishing companies as all being the same.

One article I found that is critical of POD companies has many half-truths and false statements that comes from the author not doing his reasearch.

He mentions that they do not call themselves publishers (listing three specifically but inferring they are all the same through the article). My POD company is listed as the "publisher" in my book and with that responsibility comes the liability insurance they maintain in case of a lawsuit. That is one service included that I pay for with my package.

He mentions the book covers using stock photos making them look unprofessional. Every company I've found offers authors the chance to submit their own cover images. It is up to the author to do so and make sure it has a professional, marketable look.

He says bookstores and libraries do not accept POD books. Not true. One of my books is in at least two libraries. I will be sending postcards out for the second one. Independent bookstores will generally accept POD books. They are, after all, independent. Some chain bookstores will even hold book signings for the author.

Publishing and marketing are also mentioned as a necessity. Yes, they are, but this is not different for POD books than it is for traditionally published books. Only big name authors get enough promotion from their companies to make a difference. They won't spend much money on you unless they expect to see you on the top ten list.

Those who use reputable POD companies are paying for a service, as we pay for other types of services. Checking format, printing, distributing (which most reputable companies do), issuing an ISBN, including your book in their online store, and sending your book to buyers are all services. Anything we do not pay to have done, we have to do ourselves. The trick is to find the company that works well for you without charging an unreasonable price for their services.

I maintain that vanity only comes in when the author does not take the time and care needed to learn the craft of writing well enough to produce a manuscript at least as professional as any book published by the traditionals (which leaves a wide margin). It is the author, not the company, who makes the difference between vanity publishing and indie publishing.

source: http://www.peakwriting.com/article.php?articleid=48
(note that the author of the article is trying to sell his services as a writing teacher)


** Image ID #1121990 Unavailable **

On-site Links


This section will feature articles about publishing as well as items that have been self-published or are in process of self-publication by writing.com members, most often group members. Send me a note if you have an item to include in next month's newsletter.

Thank you to esprit for including an On Our Own link in the action/adventure newsletter:

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1119696 by Not Available.


A nice essay about the importance of book covers:

 Book Covers aren't just to stop dust  (ASR)
A rant about the importance of book covers
#1108816 by MuseinMeltdown


And a random group member self-published book preview:

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#932803 by Not Available.


Also remember we have a forum for members to chat and ask each other questions:
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#971988 by Not Available.



** Image ID #1121990 Unavailable **

Wishing you all the best of luck in your publishing ventures!
Voxxylady

** Image ID #974885 Unavailable **
image:974885
(available for all group members to use anywhere on the site)
© Copyright 2006 Voxxylady (voxxylady at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1137537-On-Our-Own-July-06-Newsletter