*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1140204-The-Fox
by Write
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1140204
Story about a boy called Fox
The Haunted Castle


When he reached the end of the trail his friends were hovering over a leafy bush. Jo was plucking a strawberry shaped purple berry. Bobby was already munching a few and his lips were smeared with purplish berry juice. Matt was about to pop one into his mouth.

“Stop!” Fox yelled in panic. “Those are sleepy berries. You’d get sick in the stomach and fall asleep for days. Nothing and no one can wake you up.”

Bobby retched and spitted the berries out but it was too late. He’d already eaten six berries when Fox reached them.

Fox paced about the trail peering at every green bush. “Quick, help me look for a plant with leaves shaped like two hearts joined together. If Bobby eats the two hearts leaves it will neutralize the effects of the sleepy berry.” Jo and Matt jumped up immediately to find the leaves. Bobby, too scared to move sat on a dried branch holding his stomach.

“I found it. I found it,” screamed Jo running to show Fox the leaves. “Is this it?”

“Yes, that’s it. Give it to Bobby, quick. He’s got to eat a bunch of them just to be sure. I don’t know how much of the berries he’s eaten.”

Bobby stuffed the huge bunch of leaves Jo handed him into his mouth and chewed fast. They looked on anxiously as he swallowed and drank some water from his water canister. Jo was the first to speak, “How do you feel, Bobby?”

“I feel fine ‘cept a little queasy but my mouth feels all rubbery and numb. Those leaves tasted horrible. Yuck!”

“Better than being Rip Van Winkle I’ll have you know. I was almost one meself when me old uncle saw me eating them berries. That’s how I know about them leaves.”

“Your uncle taught you everything about this forest?” Matt asked, looking round at the trees all around them.

“Yep, and here is the entrance to where will lead us to the haunted castle.” Fox stopped between an old oak tree and a crooked, gnarled old tree. He turned to face his three friends and held up a hand. “First, you all have to swear to secrecy what we are about to do and where we are about to go. If you break your word then you, Matthew Brody, Bobby Watts and Josephine Brody, on the day you break your word will lose your hide, soul and spirit to me, Frederick Fox Munsen. Will you swear to that?”

The three friends looked at one another, started to laugh and giggle.

“Come on, guys. This isn’t funny. I wouldn’t be bringing you here if me Uncle Fred were alive. He made me swear the exact same swear.” Fox said annoyed with their laughing.

“We swear.” The three friends chimed together, trying hard not to giggle.

“Good,” Fox nodded and smiled, pleased with himself. “Let’s proceed to the castle.”


© Copyright 2006 Write (whc_fire at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1140204-The-Fox