*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1142856-The-Water-Hole-Part-1
by Kings
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · War · #1142856
The North and South prepared for a major battle over a water hole.

"The Water Hole" Part (1)


On the Kentucky, Tennessee border in 1863. In the heat of a hot summer, and near the small town of Wolf Creek, Ky. The U.S. and C.S.A. fought a major battle over a small water hole.

An army of rebels were camped and in total charge of the water hole under the command of LT. General Grey. Grey was born in Georgia, and had graduated from the Southern Military Academy, at the top of his class. He graduated as a full Col. Gen. Grey was victorious in many small battles and quickly became a Lt. Gen, at the young age of 30.

The northern troops were commanded by Major General Scott. Scott had attended military school at West Point. He finish far down the list of graduates that year, with the rank of Captain. He was born in a small town in New York, and did not attain the rank of Major General until he was 50 years old. He commanded an army of U.S. troops 5000 strong.


as they approached from the north. General Scott's scouts had told him of the water hole and the army of C.S.A. troops that surrounded it. He knew his army was greater in number and were equipped with better weapons, but his army was made up of younger troops who had not seen battle yet, with the screaming rebel soldiers.


Under the command of General Grey, the rebels were about 3000 strong in number and they had the water hole surrounded in force. Grey knew it was a matter of time until the northern troops attacked to try to gain control of the water hole. But, he had the advantage his troops were well dug in and battle experienced. The water hole would become the place of a great battle, in history.

General Scott was older than General Grey, but Grey was a brilliant leader who had the greatest respect from his troops. General Scott's troops were tired and thirsty after a forced march from the North. He knew the water hole had to be taken at any cost of his troops. They could not fight long without the water the Rebels held in their grasp.

Scott's plan was to attack head on with his superior fire power and troops. However, Gen. Grey was not going to let this happen easily. His plan was to out flank his adversary by sending a battalion of his scouts to out flank General Scott's army.

As the dawn broke on Sunday July, 8th, the setting was right to start the battle. The North attacked with cannons and calvary in a fearless charge. General Scott used all of his fire power to attack the front lines of the rebel strong hold. As the attack began Gen. Grey sent a battalion of his scouts under the command of Captain Cahill, he split his force sending half to the left and the rest to the right of the U.S. troops, in hopes of encircling them. His ploy worked! The main body of the U.S. troops were busy with a head on attack and allowed the rebels to out flake them. They were cut down like weeds from the heavy rebel fire power.

Under Gen. Grey the rebels fought viscously, as they screamed their Rebel yell ready to shoot in any direction, with deadly accuracy. Bodies were strewn all over the ground, missing limbs and some of them were headless. The attack left a bloody site of slaughtered troops. After the first attack was over the Rebels had held the water hole, and inflicted heavy loses on the Northern troops. Over 2000 of the U.S.troops had been slaughtered by being out maneuvered by the rebels. The South had suffered over a thousand casualties themselves.


The battle was furious with heavy casualties by each army. Gen. Scott's attempt to dislodge the rebels did not work. He decided it would be best for him to retreat slowly so he could regroup his army. Also from the shear heat and the exhaustion of the battle his troops were becoming dehydrated. His water supply was running desperately low, little was left for the troops. After the attack both armies were left to bury their dead.

At Gen. Scott's command center he ask his staff officers, for any ideas that might dislodge the rebel strong hold. One of his brigade commanders named LT. Col. Rodgers, had an idea to use diplomacy to break the stale mate. Gen. Scott knew if something was not done soon he would not have an army left to fight. So he gave Col. Rodgers the okay to employ his idea.

Col. Rodgers idea was to send Lt. Richards one of his platoon leaders to speak in private with Gen. Grey. Under a white flag and unarmed the Lt. was taken to Gen. Grey to have his say. He asked for a pause in the battle so the dead could be buried, and asked Gen. Grey for some water from the water hole. At first Gen. Grey was reluctant to agree with the proposal, but Lt. Richards told him if he would agree to the terms. Gen. Scott had stated he would in turn give a modest amount of food rations and take his U.S. troops out of any future attack on the water hole.

Brilliant young Lt. Gen. Grey agreed he would allow the U.S. troops to fill up half of their water wagons, but warned Lt. Richards of any tricks. Gen. Grey knew his troops were tired too, and needed rest after the battle for the water hole. The extra food rations were needed by his troops, he was going to do what was best for his men.

Lt. Richards returned to tell Col. Rodgers that the Rebels had agreed to the terms of the cease fire. The col. relayed the message to Gen. Scott who was pleased that his troops would be getting water to drink, and some rest. Gen. Scott felt this option was his only one he was losing his men to dehydration and just plain exhaustion.

As agreed the U.S. water wagons came to the water hole with unarmed troops aboard to fill up their water barrels. Another wagon was loaded with food rations for the Rebels. The water hole was an under ground spring which flowed constantly to fill a small rock lined pool of fresh water. The U.S. troops would have to use water pales to fill the water drums up, on the wagons.

When the U.S. troops were finished with filling their wagons they were escorted back to their unit, by Rebel scouts. For awhile their was a sense of joy on both sides. The Rebels ate their new rations and they were welcomed being a different kind of food. The U.S. troops welcomed the taste of the fresh spring water, that cooled and quench their throats and thirst.

Most of the troops were relaxed and enjoying the rest, they had gotten little in a long time. Their minds were busy with thoughts of their homes far away, and the loved ones waiting there. Why must American's fight against American's, they asked? It was especially hard on the youngest troops, who had faced the carnage of battle for the first time.

BY: Kings





© Copyright 2006 Kings (tazzy1228 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1142856-The-Water-Hole-Part-1