*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1145461-Behold-Pittsburgh
Rated: E · Essay · Other · #1145461
Written over 40 years ago. Never edited for mistakes or flaws. Just left it as I wrote it.
"Behold Pittsburgh"
(work in progress)

Albeit I walk alone, I know there are those who walk beside me, as I behold this city of steel and concrete. I can hear the rumble of street cars, imitating caterpillars clothed in iron garments, treading thier way on iron courses.

I alone, can hear the bells ringing from the church towers, tolling out thier message. And I, alone can smell the aroma of cinnamon loaf drifting from the bakery shops on Woods street. My eyes, are the eyes that can see the classic drama of the city.

My ears, are the ears alerted by the cry of sirens, reminding me of crime, death and destruction. This is the city, lit from dawn to dusk by the glaring sun, at night illuminated by man's fire, the blast furnace. Dark red clouds hang suspended in the tormented night air; spent hot steel seeking a place to nestle.

A distant landmark, the "Cathdral of Learning", stands tall and ghostly, echoing the voice of a river's tugboat; making it's way down the Allegheny to the Ohio river. While drips of freezing rain strike my cheeks, mingling with my tears, my eyes search every face that passes by me, seeking kindness and a friend. Busy people. Uncaring people, living with the multitudes; all working, fighting, all struggling together, but are alone in thier private war, living with humanity.

Behold Pittsburgh.
© Copyright 2006 Coffeebean (lastcactus at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1145461-Behold-Pittsburgh