*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1145916-Partners
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Crime/Gangster · #1145916
Flash fiction no more than 350 words
Partners


Tonight’s the night! Ralph smiled to himself. Yes indeed, tonight’s the night!

Surveying the room, he frowned when he spotted one of the paintings askew. Hurrying over, he adjusted the small Renoir until he was satisfied. In the center of the room, Ralph slowly rotated 360 degrees smiling with satisfaction at his preparations. Checking his watch, he saw that it was nearly seven.

In an hour, this will be over! Ralph thought. By day after tomorrow I’ll be sipping Margaritas in Cancun.

At 6:55, the doorbell startled Ralph out of his reverie. Taking a moment to adjust his jacket, he smiled and winked at the mirror over the mantle and strode to the door. Opening it with what he hoped was a friendly, welcoming smile, he saw a large man with a suitcase.

“Larry, come in, come in.”

“Ralph.” Larry grunted. “Bob here yet?”

“No, not yet.” Ralph said. “He should be here any moment though. Can I get you a drink, while we wait?”

“Yeah, gimme a beer!”

“Of course, coming right up!” Ralph said, smiling, as Larry sat down on the sofa.

Ralph hurried into the adjoining room, waited a moment before suddenly stepping back into the room holding a .22 Ruger. Waiting until Larry started to turn, he stepped up and shot him through the ear.

“That didn’t take as long as I thought it would.” Ralph smiled,to himself. Pocketing the gun, Ralph pushed Larry’s body over until he was lying full length on the bright coverlet.

Neither Larry nor Bob knew what was going on, nor who they are dealing with, when they brought me into this. Ralph, thought with a grin. Surprises are fun!

Carefully wrapping Larry’s body in the coverlet, Ralph hefted it onto his shoulder and carried it into the garage. When he returned, he checked the suitcase and smiled. Going to a cupboard, Ralph retrieved another bright coverlet and spread it over the sofa.

One to go! Ralph grinned, checking his watch once more, he sat down to quietly wait for the doorbell to ring.
© Copyright 2006 E E Coder (ecoder at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1145916-Partners