*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1148909-An-Entertaining-Repast
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Comedy · #1148909
A creative chef's response to the demand or conformity? ~ for Daily Flash Fiction
An Entertaining Repast


“I’m an artist! I create present works of art to delight the senses, entice the muse.”

“You talk like you’re Michelangelo or something,” Emma laughed, though the derisive noise emanating from her lips was anything but mirthful. “You’re a chef, this is a dinner theater, and our customers expect to be fed and entertained.”

“I’m a sushi chef, not a fry cook. Until last week, this was a sushi restaurant. Now you expect me to serve chicken fried steak, chicken fried pork, chicken fried chicken accompanied by the toneless strumming of your acoustic flame!”

“At least he makes an effort, not like you. There are almost as many sushi bars here as Starbucks. I had to do something, or lose everything. You have to admit the tables are full.”

Dominic took a returned plate, placing the steak to the oven to burn. It had but the slightest tinge of pink, and the customer called it undercooked.

“Emma, at least let me try and add some flavor to this, do something creative. Try to fix things?” Dominic decided to play to her avarice.

“Like you fixed the locket you broke? Just don’t’ get too exotic, just feed them and let Todd entertain them.”

Watching her leave, her nose in the air, Dominic knew it was over. As the last act of their partnership, he blended the rest of the wasabi sauce into the guacamole, spreading it across the burnt steak.

“Here, play something with a beat to it.” he said, tossing the broken locket at Todd.

Dominic removed his apron and strolled out the front door. Yes, the diners were entertained, applauding the foot stomping patron who had stuffed his face with chicken fried wasabi, hopping almost in tune to a fair rendition of Dueling Banjos by the grinning guitar player.

© 2006 manga_kate

Prompt: Write a Comedy which has a disgruntled chef, an acoustic guitar,, and a broken locket.
For Daily Flash Fiction ~ word count 300

© Copyright 2006 Kate - Writing & Reading (manga_kate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1148909-An-Entertaining-Repast