*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1151109-Charlies-Dream
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest · #1151109
Charlie's dream for his son changes


Charlie's Dream


The announcer’s voice boomed over the loud speaker at Spartan High School’s football stadium, “another touchdown for Chris Beamer. That takes the Spartans up by a touchdown.” Students and parents were on their feet. “The kick is good. Spartans 28, Cougars 21 and that’s the game.” The stands cleared out as everyone rushed to the field to congratulate the winners and console the losers.

“Great game Chris!” Charlie, Chris’ dad, had pushed him to do his best, and now it looked like their dreams might come true. “The scout was sitting in front of us making plenty of notes about you.”

Chris smiled at his dad, but wondered if he would be able to tell his dad he didn’t have the same dreams. “Thanks Dad.” It wasn’t that Chris didn’t love football, he did, but there was more to life the way he saw it.

He scanned the crowd looking for a way out when a large man in a Texas hat put his hand on Chris’ shoulder. “My name is George Bootfall and I scout for the Longhorns. I like what you do and I’d like you to consider playing for us next year.”

Charlie stood behind Chris thinking my son is going to college. “Thanks Mr. Bootfall, but I have other plans.” Chris heard his dad’s sharp intake of breath and glancing back, took off towards the locker room.

When Charlie caught up with Chris in the parking lot, he stopped him. “Chris, why?”

Chris reached into his back pocket and pulled out a letter. “I have other dreams Dad.”

Charlie unfolded the letter and looked at Chris with tears in his eyes and said, “I’m proud of you son,” but thought my son is going to war.

Word Count = 300

Winner of
Daily Flash Fiction Challenge  (13+)
Enter your story of 300 words or less.
#896794 by Arakun the Twisted Raccoon
© Copyright 2006 SL Krieg (stormycats at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1151109-Charlies-Dream