*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1156661-my-first-writing-for-the-site
by brandi
Rated: 13+ · Other · Death · #1156661
true story that happened to me years back...
When the tables turn

i'll never forget his last words to me, while i was lying next to him, holding his hand. we were both being strong for one another, to try to make this easier, if that was even possible. he mustve sensed that his time was coming because he then whispered " i'll be watching over you until we can be together again. i love you." and he was gone.



as i laid in the same position i was in since Joe arrived at the hospital. i couldnt help but thing back to the recent events that changed my life forever.

the night had started out like any other friday night. Joe, Becky, Samantha and i were on our way home after a movie and were stopped at the red light at the intersection right before Joe's house.

"do you have time to stop and hang out at my house for a little while?" joe had asked me. i knew i did, but not sure bout the two girls in the backseat. i turned around to ask them and they said they did. the light had turned green and i was about to face the front again. before i could i felt an impact on the front of the car and soon realized that someone had run the red light, and lost control, hitting us head on. in the next few seconds i heard glass shattering, people screaming, tires schreeching and metal crunching together, in one loud, awful sound that i still remember today.

time seemed to pass slowly it seemed like the ambulance took forever to arrive, when in reality it was only about twenty minutes. i wasnt hurt badly, just cuts, extremely sore and my side hurt like hell. all i heard from the back seat was silence. against my will i looked back to discover that two of my friends were dead immediately. i guess i was in shock because i kept calling their names, and no one answered but Joe. i turned to look at him again and saw that he had a cut on his head that was bleeding steadily and his face showed immense pain.

i asked "what hurts?" and he simply replied

"everything" and he began to close his eyes. i thought immediately 'he cant go to sleep because he would never see daylight again if he did due to his head injury' i unfastened the torn seatbelt that was surprisingly still holding me. i then got as close as i could to joe and wiped off the blood that was running down his face in steady amounts. i knew i had to stop the bleeding, or at least try. so i held up the bottom of my shirt, applying pressure and apologizing when he winced. i kept talking to him to keep him awake, reminding him of the memories that we had made in the years we had been friends.



i looked up quickly as i heard the ambulance and police sirens growing louder, symbolizing their closeness. as soon as i was sure they were coming near us, i turned my attention back to joe and kept talking. he promised to hold on for as long as he could. the paramedics fought me to go into another ambulance but i refused and rode with joe.

an hour after we arrived that the hospital a doctor finally came out and told me the news that would ultimately change my life. with tears in his eyes, he said,

"We did everything we could. im sorry, theres nothing we can do. theres just too much internal bleeding. you can say goodbye now." i was in shock as i followed him into the room where joe was laying on a bed, hooked up to multiple machines.

"Hey" i said, not really knowing what to say to him. as i looked at him i couldnt stand seeing him in all the pain, i almost broke down in tears, but i knew i had to be strong and make the most of these last few minutes we had together.i laid down beside him, and held his hand.

moments later, my best friend was no longer by my side.
© Copyright 2006 brandi (dreamwriter2 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1156661-my-first-writing-for-the-site