*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1157309-The-Hanging-Images
by Orion
Rated: E · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1157309
A short story depicting the end of the world......or is it?
The Hanging Images-

The girl remained at the forefront staring out at the world before her. Ghastly ghostly shapes clung to the colourless backdrop, awash with empty promises and telltale lies, empty of all but whispers. She could almost see the wind whistling pass, whipping wildly through the barren limbs of trees that rose from the shattered wasteland, reaching out for the fallen angels and cast off heaven. Light filtered through the dim grey casting long shadows that loomed menacingly about her, a desperate attempt by the sun to breakthrough the canopy of souls.

She stared about in dismay, sorrow clutched at her heart as she looked over the remains of humanity, the decay of humankind. Towering monoliths reached out toward the sky, what were once office blocks were now burnt out shells, crumbling back into the earth from whence they came. So long ago they had harboured life, now all they harboured were the souls of the damned. Shattered shards of glass lay about the buildings amongst the rubble strewn roads. Empty shells of burnt out vehicles smouldered in the wake of the buildings, in the silhouette of the colossal monoliths. Scorching flames lingered amidst the devastation, dancing between the structures, glowing from within the blackened cells, the only colour to emanate forth from the obliteration. Everything was crippled within the city. She watched in awe as dust clouds chased flames down roads, as buildings collapsed anew under the sheer weight of their supports, and as all she had known crumble under the ensuing chaos.

In the silence of her mind she could still hear the screams reverberating through her, as if carried on the wind. She could still hear their pleas for salvation, in their faith of the lord, their certainty they would be spared. She could picture the gunfire that tore through their homes, the explosions that ripped apart their beliefs, the pain that soared through their soul; she could still feel the death. She wanted to look away, yet she found her self somewhat transfixed by the sight, mesmerised by the dark power of man. She stood fascinated as much as terrified by the sheer degree of fatality, the sheer downfall of reason. She knew what had happened, the terror had reached them, whether by missile, by bomb, by chemical, by nuclear, or by old fashioned gunfire, the people and the city had fallen like the world about them.

She felt the tears form in her eyes, felt as they rolled down her cheeks as she watched in misery at the annihilation before her. She watched because watching was all she could do. What had caused this? How could man be subverted to this point? Why could someone do this to their fellow brother? What was there to gain? But she knew to well of the causes, the lusts for supremacy and prosperity. Leaders insatiable for control, too ravenous to see pass their own needs and desires! She wanted to scream, she wanted to track them down with single minded redemption. She wanted to be their undoing! This wasn’t her war, wasn’t any of theirs! Yet she knew it would be her, and observers like her who would be left to deal with the consequences.

She stared pass the metropolis not wishing to look upon the desolation; she couldn’t bear to comprehend the wasteland any longer. The pain it bore into her heart was too much to endure. She looked on toward the cliffs that swept away to the horizon, cracks, defiles and low cut passes leading up to the forest that emerged from within the safety of the mountains. At least there was hope in what was tranquil and free, yet to be destroyed in the passing of man.
The world above the cliffs stretched away, smoke and fire sill clung to the horizon and the distance was encumbered in what would be the final sun down. The clouds remained sparse in the distance, entrapped in the brilliant colours that merged and graced the clear cobalt sky.

She closed her eyes, watching as a deafening thunder roared across the sky and a rain of fire fell from the heavens. In a brief moment the human race was encumbered in a brilliant, blinding light that remained suspended in time. The grey mushroom cloud emerged from the light, enveloping the city. She cringed against the notion, against the darkest sight she beheld. This was it. Total destruction. Annihilation.

Abruptly a hand came down upon her shoulder, jerking her from the depths of her psyche. Her body lurched in response.

“Eliza, you coming or what?” asked the tall lean teen beside her, his ragged jeans and baggy Nirvana t-shirt hanging off him, “Or are you going to stare at that all day?” he pointed toward the city.

“You gonna buy me a coke?” She asked smiling over at him, his floppy blond hair dancing about his head in disarray.

“Okay okay, just come on already, we’re all waiting to go” He replied stalking off back the way he had come

She sighed softly taking one last glance toward the elegant painting, and headed back toward the lobby…

The End
© Copyright 2006 Orion (thoth at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1157309-The-Hanging-Images