*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1163024-Lips-of-an-Angel
Rated: 13+ · Other · Fanfiction · #1163024
Mulder has an amazing girlfriend, but he's in love with Scully.
It's funny that you're calling me tonight
And yes I've dreamt of you too
No I don't think she has a clue
Well my girl's in the next room
Sometimes I wish she was you
I guess we never really moved on
It's really good to hear your voice saying my name
It sounds so sweet
Coming from the lips of an angel
Hearing those words it makes me weak
And I never wanna say goodbye
But girl you make it hard to be faithful
With the lips of an angel

-Lips of an Angel
by Hinder



Mulder was terribly in love with Scully. It was unhelpable, he just was. Almost every night, he'd lay on his couch and talk to her on the phone.
But she wasn't about to start a romantic relationship with him, plus he had a girlfriend, Tracy. He and Tracy had been madly in love for about a year. Then he'd talked to Scully for the first time in two years. Now it was six months later, and two and a half years since Mulder and Scully had been together.
They had an incredible relationship, after years of near misses, they'd gotten together for five months, before the most painful breakup of their lives. She'd requsted a reassignment, and now they lived in different worlds of the FBI.
Mulder was afraid to give up Tracy, but he just loved Scully too much. She was all he thought about. But Tracy was getting sucpicious. One night, when he and Tracy were in bed, he called out Scully's name. Afterward, she'd asked him about it.
"Who's Scully?"
He groaned. "Look, Trace... Nobody, okay? Forget I ever said anything."
"Tell me who it is, Mulder. Are you seeing someone else?"
"No, Tracy, I haven't been with anyone else," he said, bending the truth.
"Are you telling me the truth?"
"Yes."
Tracy was a good person, though, and she believed in taking people by their word. So she let it go.
Meanwhile, Mulder was growing increasingly in love with Scully. He was sick of pining for her over the phone. He wanted to be with her.
"Mulder!" she said with a laugh when he told her. "What about Tracy?"
"I wish she was you."
"That's horrible."
"I love her, Scully, but she's not you. She never will be, either."
"Look, Mulder, I love you. Our relationship was amazing, But that was then. These are entirely different circumstances, and that was almost three years ago, too. Things will never be the same. Plus, I don't want to break up you and your girlfriend."
"Scully, it dosen't matter."
"Things didn't work out with us, anyway."
"Like you said, that was then."
"Mul-" just then, Tracy came in Mulder's door.
"Look, I gotta go," he inturrupted. "Bye," he said, hanging up the phone. He got up to give Tracy a kiss.
"Who was that?" she asked.
"Just a friend of mine."

The next time Tracy and Mulder made love, he almost called out Scully's name again.
Afterward, when Tracy was asleep, he called Scully on the phone.
"Hello?"
"Hey, Scully."
"It's two AM, Mulder. What are you doing up?"
"What are *you* doing up?"
"I was in bed. Am in bed, actually. I couldn't sleep, and you happened to call."
"Oh. Well, how are you?"
"Okay. What about you?"
"I'd be better if I were with you."
"Mulder, cut it out."
"Can I come over?"
"Why?"
"To see you."
"Why?"
"To kiss you."
"Mulder."
"Scully, why won't you see me?"
"I'm afraid."
"Afraid of what?"
She sighed. "I'm afraid of our desires getting out of control. We can't be together right now. And I'm afraid of the truth, and of this other woman."
"Don't be afraid, Scully. She's nice."
"That's not the point. I really don't want to be the antagonist here, Mulder."
"You're not. There's really nothing to be afraid of. I love you."
She hung up on him.
What Mulder didn't know was that Tracy was awake in the next room. And she was listening.

The next day, Scully went to Mulder's apartment. She didn't know what made her do it, but she did. She was still afraid, and unsure, and felt stupid for deciding to go. However, she took a deep breath, and knocked on the door. A woman answered, presumably Tracy.
"Hi," Tracy said. "Can I help you?"
"Yes, my name is Dana Scully, I'm looking for Mulder. Are you Tracy?"
Tracy's pleasant smile disappeared immediately.
"Yes," she said coldly. "His girlfriend. For over a year."
"Okay, hi. Is he home?"
Tracy held in a hurt cry, and went to get him.
"Mulder," she hissed. "There's a *woman* here to see you. Your *Scully.*"
"Tracy-"
"Don't. I'm leaving."
"No! Tracy, come on!"
"Three strikes, and you're out, Mulder," she said, walking through the kitchen.
Scully came in then, and spoke immediately. "Tracy, I'm sorry for any confusion, but I'm not... With Mulder. He hasn't been with anyone but you."
"You lying slut!" yelled Tracy.
"Ladies! Calm down! Let's talk it out, okay?"
"You never loved me," Tracy said. "I was just a toy to you in bed. Nothing special. You've been in love with this kenieveling little wench all along!"
"Tracy, you don't know the whole story," he said. "Scully and I go way back. I've only talked to her in the past few months, and I haven't cheated on you."
"Liar."
"Tracy, he's not lying," Scully said.
"Shut up! Mulder, why haven't you told me about her before?"
"She won't have me, and-"
"And you needed *someone,* regardless of who it was, you bastard!?"
"No! And you're to important to give up."
"What a load of shit."
"Tracy, I love you."
"But you'd rather have her."
"Mulder," Scully said, "I have to go. I really imposed. Tracy, I'm sorry, I didn't mean you any offense, and I didn't come here to *do* Mulder, or to hurt you. We-"
"Oh, like hell you didn't want to hurt me, you bitch! Why else would you come here?"
"To talk," she said. "With both of you. I thought you should know that Mulder and I have been... Conversing."
Tracy scoffed. "You think?" she asked sarcastically.
"Scully, Tracy, I didn't want to hurt either of you. I love you both. I apologize."
"Mulder, I can't be with you after this," said Tracy.
"Neither can I," Scully agreed. "I'll talk to you later, okay?" she asked softly, walking to the door, Tracy behind her.
"Wait! Tr.... Scully! ...Don't go!"
Tracy was already out the door and down the hallway.
"I'm sorry, Mulder," Scully said. "I have to go."
"Wha- No! Scully, come on. You're the reason for all of this. You have to stay!"
"Bye," she whispered, closing the front door behind her.
Mulder slowly leaned against the door, then slid down it, onto the floor.
He was more alone than ever.

END
© Copyright 2006 Dylan Shaw (dylanshaw at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1163024-Lips-of-an-Angel