*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1163082-The-End
Rated: E · Short Story · Mystery · #1163082
The world is ending, what's to happen next?
THE END
The world was tearing apart and coming to a finish. Peacefulness turned into terror, happiness turned into terrified, smiles turned into tears. The innocent world was being destroyed by mysterious wonders of another planet that had been newly discovered. The five close friends, Jamie, Max, Lizzy, Jerry, and Anne stood at the corner of the Earth. They rested their feet upon a very small metal area that could only fit the five of them. It hung at the end of the earth, connected to the land and the rest out in the freezing, cold space. All the friends bent down and stared into the atmosphere with a large gust of wind that blew through their hair. The atmosphere involved a large magenta planet that floated in the middle with strong forces that struck out of it which caused the world, our world, to start crashing. It was surrounded with a red glow of light and streaks of pink rays. It made the atmosphere feel so cold, lonely, and horrifying. It was filled with only stars and darkness. Nothing more, and nothing less.
If a person jumped off into the atmosphere, it would be a mystery of what that future of that person may become. They start another life, keeping living life in another world, or die. They don’t have a choice, they’re left in curiosity. So Lizzy stood up and turned to her friends with a deep sigh.
"I'm making the first move. Wherever we end up, I'm sure we'll find each other again. I'll miss all of you." She gave a warm yet nervous smile; her hands shook with fear as she clenched them into a fist. She hugged each and every one of her friends as tight as she could; they smiled back, unable to speak a word. “I don’t think I ever did fit in this world. Nobody looked at me like they looked at you guys. But you all…noticed me when I was down. You helped me. You made my life so much easier and I want to thank you for that.”
Max took in Lizzy’s hand and caressed it,
”You’re one of a kind. Don’t let yourself down. When you jump, close your eyes, believe you are flying, don’t think of anything, and just believe.” Lizzy’s face scrunched up as she forced a couple tears that flooded down her rosy cheeks. Quickly, she turned away with her eyes closed and stood at the edge of the metal. Her body slowly drifted straight down. Lizzy kept falling and falling, fading and fading, until she disappeared. Max stood up next with his legs trembling.
"This is crazy man, with all the world destruction and jumping off not knowing if you’re gonna die or not. We’re all only 17 for god’s sakes, too young to die!" Max exclaimed with a shiver in his cold, hard voice as he rested his hand upon his forehead. He closed his teary eyes and breathed hard, trying to calm himself down. Jamie reached up and patted Max softly on the back.
"We were all to die one day anyway; it was a promise that was made when we were born. There’s no point in living because everything turns into memories. Memories fade. Once we leave the world, our life would be meaningless because everything we experienced in our memories is thrown away like garbage. It's like we never lived at all." Jamie raised her eyebrow with a twitch in her smile. “Life…it’s just one thing I’ll never figure out.”
Max nodded and sniffed as he looked down on the metal. The forces of the magenta planet enforced a wind that made Max’s blond hair wave around. He opened his eyes gently and the pink streaks reflected into his turquoise eyes. It flickered like fire, yet it was nothing like fire, it wasn’t warm, it was a dark and scary feeling. He followed Lizzy's footsteps and in a blink, Max was gone. Jamie pouted and finally looked at Anne and Jerry with a weak grin.
"It was fun knowing you both. You guys were the happiest couple I've ever seen. You guys were also the best friends I could never have. Thanks, for everything,” Jamie whispered under her breathe with her arms crossed upon her chest. “Much love to you both.”
As Anne was about to speak, Jamie shook her head.
”Don’t say anything. It’s better off I don’t hear your voice, or I’ll only feel worse that everything is coming to an end.” She looked down onto her hands and blinked a couple times to force her tears back. “I guess no more manicures?” Jamie joked around unsuccessfully with a squeal in her voice, she shook her head and turned back at the red planet before she started to cry hard, and jumped.
The ones left kneeling down on the metal were Anne who was terrified and Jerry who was pinching his shirt tightly with nerves. Anne and Jerry had known and been together since 6th grade. They cherished each other like gold and lived through difficulties together. They were always full of laughter, smiles and sad goodbyes. It was almost as if they were glued together because wherever they went, they'd be stuck on each other. Their hearts beat twice as fast every time they saw each other or heard each others’ voice. There was a glow inside when they hugged or said something sweet. A large gift for every occasion, a kiss for every season, a smile for every greeting, a hug for every happiness they felt, and a love that would’ve lasted forever.
Anne stood up, wanting to jump off before her heart would ache from Jerry's voice. But before she fell, Jerry grabbed her hand, pulled her back from the edge, and twirled her into his hug. He held her so tight that Anne could feel his heartbeat against hers. Anne whispered with a whimper into his ears
"Tell me again why we're jumping..."
"Our world will not live on much longer, neither will we. Now we either die sooner or live another life before it's too late to jump," He replied softly. The Earth had trembled causing Anne to fall out of Jerry's iron grasp and off the metal. Anne managed to cling onto the edge as the world kept shaking.
"Anne!" Jerry yelled as his heart was almost torn into a million pieces.
"Jerry...this may be the last time we see each other...maybe not. I’m scared Jerry, I’m really scared."
Jerry took one of Anne's hands from the edge and grasped it as tight as he could. He began to speak with tears streaming.
"And this may be the last time we hold each others hands. If we die while you go to heaven as an angel, I promise to grow wings and fly up to you. Just remember..." Jerry used his index finger and placed it on his heart. "...you'll always be here."
Anne smiled not allowing herself to cry, she let her other hand go and Jerry's grasp loosened. Anne fell into the atmosphere still watching Jerry and her hand that he held still reaching out. Jerry stood as he watched her fade into the darkness until she was gone. He turned his back toward the red planet and closed his eyes. He fell back and disappeared into the starry galaxy without another word.
© Copyright 2006 SnowAngel (comicboyz4eva at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1163082-The-End