*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1166105-Silence
Rated: 13+ · Prose · Emotional · #1166105
The power of nothingness
In silence they sat. Theirs was not an uncomfortable stillness, but one which they had not experienced together before. Not so long ago silence had been serene, pleasant time spent holding each other after making love, now there was nothing at all. Very little had changed, yet somehow they each knew that things were not what they had been. Nothing would come of their idle chit chat, so they each sat and pondered. In silence there was cowardice, but neither could find the words to bring it to an end. Finally, he spoke.

“When was it that I lost you?”
She was taken aback by the abruptness of the question; the reply came almost on instinct.

“I…”

Her voice trailed off. She had raised her head to speak, to defend herself against this assault. What she found was his eyes already meeting her own. There was no malice; no rage in them. His tone was cold, a look of quiet resignation was all that could be found. It was as though his every feeling had been drained from his body.

“I have lost you, haven’t I?”
A pointed remark, he let it linger and did not expect a response.

“Is there someone else?”

The clock ticked and a car passed in the street, but it was her silence that was deafening. She braced, expecting and almost hoping for fire. Of this she felt deserving, yet in her heart she knew that ice would be her only keepsake. He stared blankly at the floor and she vainly tried to meet his gaze. The eyes that met hers were cold with disdain.

“I’m...”
“Don’t”
“But I…”
“Just don’t”

He walked slowly away and was conscious of holding his head high. He would not scream. Anger would not heal him, nor would it aid his plight. There was solace in her guilt, and the knowledge that he would move on when at last the pain subsided.
© Copyright 2006 mastapoet (mastapoet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1166105-Silence