*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1166678-The-Call
by Craig
Rated: E · Short Story · Sports · #1166678
A minor league baseball player gets a call that changes his whole life
I was in middle of sleeping, around 12:00, when I was awoken by the phone ringing. I picked it up and I couldn’t believe what I just heard. After spending five years in the Yankees farm system, I was told that I’m finally going to be finally called up. I knew I’d be having a big trip. Being located in Ohio, I was told that I would have a private plane pick me up and that I’d be in Yankee Stadium by around four. I immediately began packing and before I knew it, there was a knock on my door. It was time for me to leave. A million thoughts ran through my mind thinking about the huge opportunity that I was getting. I got dropped off by the subway and I reached my destination about a half hour later. As soon as I left the station, I instantly ran to the stadium.

I walked into the gate and was told that I was expected. I went in and was directed to the locker room. All of the players were very nice and already I felt like I belonged. I spoke to the manager and he told me that I was in the starting lineup due to the injury to one of his players. Changing into my uniform, I was still in disbelief. I thought to myself, “My father would be very proud of me.” I remember the first game he took me to and how much he loved the game of baseball. I ran onto the field and immediately my adrenaline kicked in. I was so psyched for the game that I couldn’t wait. I already knew that the fans were pretty tough and that they don’t make things easy on the players. It was time to play and I took my position at centerfield. The batter stood up to the plate and the first pitch he swung at and hit it to shallow centerfield. I charged for the ball and reached for it, but the ball bounced out of my glove. I felt miserable. At my first attempt at making a play, I already committed an error.
The next batter hit into a double play. That took off some of the stress on me. The next batter struck out and I trotted back into the dugout keeping my head down. When I sat down, the manager immediately came to me knowing that I was angry at myself. His tone of voice was very friendly and he didn’t sound disappointed at me not one bit. He told me that it was common for a rookie to be uneasy in his first game and that I shouldn’t let it get the best of me. I took his advice and thought nothing of it after that.

After the pitcher retired the side in order, I went back onto the field again and took my position. The pitcher began the inning by giving up a double to the first batter, but then recovered by striking out the next three. I got back to the dugout and started to think about my first at bat. The batter at the plate hit a monster homerun off the pitcher and the whole stadium was roaring. He came back and sat right down next to me. He immediately told me some of his advice when hitting and that I should be patient. The next two batters grounded out and then the bench coach told me that I was in the hole. I got a bat and a helmet and sat back down. The batter struck out and I put back the helmet and went back onto the field. The batter swung at the pitch and hit the ball to deep center field. I knew that I would have to attempt to dive for the ball if I wanted to catch it. As I saw it approaching closer, I dove for it and I felt the ball fall right into the web of my glove. The whole crowd went nuts shouting my name. I got back up, tipped my cap and headed straight back to the dugout. Knowing that I was due up next, I grabbed my bat and helmet and went to the on deck circle.
The batter lined out to second base, and as I was heading to the plate, he wished me luck. My heart was pumping like crazy and my thoughts were blocked out from the stadium noise. The first pitch was outside, but I still swung at it. The next pitch was in the dirt. Count was now 1-1. Next pitch zoomed right by me for strike two. The pitcher dealt the next pitch and I foul tipped it into the catcher’s glove. Although I struck out, I was still pretty satisfied with my first at bat. The game went on and it was in the bottom of the ninth inning. The score was tied at three and I went to bat. I was 0-3 with two strikeouts and a groundout. I thought of the possibility of getting the hat trick (three strikeouts) and kept in the back of my mind the advice the hitter told me. I took the first three pitches for balls. I swung at the next pitch right down the middle and the ball was deep but was heading foul.

I was motioning at the ball with my hands, hoping it would keep the ball fair. At the last moment the ball hit the pole, just fair by inches. I won the game for my team with a walk off homerun and the whole stadium crowd cheered, again shouting my name. I ran around the bases, feeling like a kid again. I was greeted at home plate by my team and they all jumped on me. I headed straight to the dugout one last time and the crowd was still cheering. I came back up the steps, took off my helmet, and acknowledged the fans. All with one swing, I had my first career hit, my first career homerun, and my first career curtain call. I went back into the dugout and was approached by the manager.
“I’m really proud of you”, he said. I thanked him for having the confidence in me and giving me a chance. After leaving the clubhouse, I overheard two people. “The kid is going to be really good.”
“No,” said the other guy, “he’ll be better than that. He is going to be an all-star.” I headed back to my apartment, and had all the confidence in the world.
“I am going to be an all-star,” I said to myself. With that said, I went to the door of my room, and headed straight to bed. Twenty-five years later, and I still remember that memorable day. I sit on my couch waiting for another call. Almost an hour passed and I think that the phone will never ring. I head outside of my apartment, and just before I turn off my light, I heard the phone ring. I ran straight to the phone and picked it up. I was so nervous I forgot to answer it. The person on the other line asked if I was there, and I responded.

“Mr. Williams, I am pleased to announce that you are our newest member of the Hall of Fame. Unable to grasp what I just heard, I asked him to repeat it. He did, and I thanked him and hung up. Immediately, I put my hands to my face and started to lose it. I had a dream to be a baseball player and I lived it. Not only did I live it, I thrived at it. All with one phone call, my whole life changed.
© Copyright 2006 Craig (harriscr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1166678-The-Call