*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1168387-Honesty-is-overrated
Rated: E · Fiction · Romance/Love · #1168387
Lying,cheating,blackmailing, and love? More will happen on this boat than anyone imagined
Chapter 1: Hello! I’m ruining your marriage

The water splashes over the dock. The moon from the previous night still hangs low in the sky almost like it had not been told by the sun to go down yet. This morning was very peaceful.

A pair of shiny shoes connected to a middle-aged man is touched by the water flowing over the dock. The man has on a suit and seems well off in money terms. He sits with a young woman who looks equally wealthy. Yet in her eyes there’s something different about her than other rich women. She has flair in her eyes like a tiger warning its prey to beware.

“I can’t do this anymore. I want out,” the man says as he stares at a large boat near the dock.

The sun shines on the boat and illuminates the word, “The Mary Lynn”. The name, one could guess, is the architect or someone close to the architect. One thick stripe of navy blue runs across the boat and under the words.

“As you wish,” the woman says as she looks at the boat also.

“I wish you and your wife the best of luck. She’s such a nice lady,” the woman continues.

“You don’t know her,” the man says snobbishly.

“You don’t know me,” the woman replies still looking at the boat, “I’m not a bank teller. I only go to the bank to put in the money I get from blackmailing wealthy married men like you.”

The man looks at the woman and has a distressed look his face. The woman looks at the man and just smiles.

“What do you want?” the wealthy man asks the woman.

“A ticket to board your boat,” the woman replies looking back at the boat.

“You realize you’re breaking the law,” the man tells the woman not taking his eyes off her.

“You realize you’re breaking your marriage vows” the woman replies sill looking at the boat, “I would hate to break that poor woman’s heart.”

“I’ll get you that ticket if you never talk to my wife again,” the man tells the woman as he gets up.

“Don’t worry. She’s nothing special, but then again you know that. You’re with me,” the woman says as she winks at the man.

“Not anymore,” the man says as he leaves.

The young woman keeps her eyes on the man as he stomps off into the morning mist. She smirks to herself as she leans back into the bench she and the man were sitting on. Her prey had been eaten and spit out.

Chapter 2: The Boarding

The huge boat looms over the young man who stands below it. He looks as if he’s in his early 30s. His chin hasn’t been shaved for a few days yet he pulls of the unshaven look. He wears a buttoned up, light blue shirt with its collars folded down. The jeans he wears are dark blue with a slight rip in one leg. His light brown hair is cut short almost military style. If one could guess what he did for a living, a good guess would be some sort of military job.

The man takes his view off the huge boat and decides to embark on his journey. He walks up the dock very forceful yet nervous. As he continues up to the boat, he passes a wealthy, early to mid forty year old man. He is dresses in a black suit and has his hair slicked back. He is shouting orders to a small butler. A woman stands next to him as she tries to calm him down. She wears a nice tan jacket and khaki pants. Her hair flows gracefully over her petite face. She touches the man’s arms, but he pushes her hand off and keeps yelling at the poor butler taking the abuse very badly. A slight tear rolls down his face.

A young, twenty year old man who is holding a woman’s hand passes by the yelling man and his group. He looks like a yuppie; he wears a navy blue suit and a fake Rolex watch. His lady companion has on a nice summer dress. Her black hair only goes to her tan shoulders yet still blows in the brisk wind coming from the sea. The young man falls as he walks onto the boat. The woman helps him up smiling the whole time.

The woman from the previous day on the dock looks over the railing. She holds the ticket from her forbidden love in her hand. She twirls it between her figures and a bit of regret is on her face. The handsome, military man approaches her from behind.

“Don’t jump, Rose,” the man leans over to the woman as he smiles.

“If you jump, I jump,” the woman finishes his sentence as she looks at him and smiles.

“Titanic fan?” the man asks as he looks over the edge of the railing.

“Reason why I’m on this boat,” the woman replies, “maybe the same thing will happen and end all my misery.”

“Way to jinx it,” the man jokes as he keeps looking down at the sea, “I assume you’re unhappy”

“You assume right,” the woman says without going on.

“If you don’t mind, what makes your life so unbearable?” the man asks as he looks at the woman.

“You are nosier than I thought,” the woman looks at the man.

“What do you have to lose? I won’t judge you. I don’t know you. After this trip, there’s a good chance I will never see you again.” the man persuades the woman.

The woman doesn’t talk for a few seconds but then says, “I’m a horrible person.”

“What makes you so horrible?” the man asks as he looks at the woman who is looking away.

“I lie, cheat, and break the law for a living,” she confesses,” I do all this without a second thought. Without remorse or regret. Without a heart.”

“Do you do this to all guys? You always play the dark damsel in distress?”

“Do you always play the hero in the buttoned up shirt?”

“Yes,” the man replies smiling, “Is it working?”

“Well, hero,” she says and then turns around,” Don’t get caught up in me.”

The woman walks away as the man watches her. After she’s out of sight, he turns around and watches the sea again. The sun looks as if it’s burning brighter than ever before. The man takes this as a good sign and looks back towards the woman. She keeps walking, but turns around once more to catch his eye. She winks at him as she disappears around a corner.
© Copyright 2006 Justawriter (justawriter at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1168387-Honesty-is-overrated