*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1169536-The-Ball
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1169536
flash fiction
The two of them had never met, but they instinctively hated each other. He had that arrogant air about him and she had that stuck-up look about her. Their glares met across the crowded ballroom, daring each other to approach and start a conversation. Throughout the night they both found that while looking around the room they would catch and hold each other’s gaze, for a few moments.

She danced with a number of men, Heads of state, Dukes, Earls and Barons. He too was busy with Duchesses, princesses and other influential women. Neither paid much attention to their immediate companions. They were watching each other.

There was a grandfather clock in one corner and he caught her often looking at the time. She can’t wait to get out of here, he thought. She must have better things to do than rub shoulders with the elite of this country.

She kept finding him surrounded by pretty little females and seeing him laugh at what they were saying, she thought. He must enjoy the attention of all of those flighty women.

During the evening they moved closer and closer. At quarter to midnight they were close enough to hear each other’s conversations. There was a pause in the dancing as the orchestra took a five-minute break. He leaned toward her, raised an eyebrow and nodded his head to the corner by the clock. She laughed, wondering what he could be up to, raised her own eyebrow and nodded.

“Are you enjoying yourself?” He asked.

“Oh, it has been amusing.” She said as haughtily as possible.

“You go to many balls and dance with many men?” He asked wanting to know her better.

“Yes. I do. After a while they all blend together. It is very tiring going to balls almost every night.” She smiled at him.

“I bet. I find balls boring too.” He looked into her eyes trying to figure her out; she wasn’t like most of the women he met at balls. “Funny, I have never seen you at any of the previous balls. I would have remembered you.” He said in earnest.

“To tell the truth, this is my first ball. I’ve been very busy taking care of my family.” She smiled, thinking he wasn’t what she thought he would be like.

“Would you do me the honor of dancing with me?” he asked.

“I’d love to.” She answered.

He led her to the dance floor. The music started and they glided across the floor.

“You dance very well.” He tried to think of a compliment that would put her at ease.

“So do you, your grace.” She said, letting him know she knew who he was.

“Do you live close to the castle?”

“Not so far.”

“Why is it I have never met you before? I thought I had met all of the eligible young ladies.”

“I don’t get out much, but when I heard about the ball tonight I just had to come.”

“You were not invited?”

“Why? Are you going to tell the guards and have me kicked out?”

“I would never do that to such a pretty maid.” He said as he twirled her around. “Tell me your name, it is unfair that you know who I am and I have no idea who you are.”

At that moment the clock started to chime midnight.

“Oh, no.” She pulled away from him and ran out of the castle. He tried to follow but fell behind. All that was found was a glass slipper on the stairs.

© Copyright 2006 Colleen (adrienne69 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1169536-The-Ball