*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1174018-computerized-world
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by E
Rated: · Other · Other · #1174018
This essay about computers...merits and demits...
COMPUTERIZED WORLD

Only once in a lifetime will a new invention come about to touch every
aspect of our lives. Such a device that changes the way we work, live,
and play is a special one, indeed. This incredible invention is the
computer. Since first computer was made in the late fifties, the technology has developed extremely. Computers are found everywhere. More and more areas are being taken over by computers. Computers can handle large amounts of data in a very short time, they are well suited for wordprocessing. The speed and accuracy of the computer makes people feel confident and reliable about them. Therefore, computer has become more and more popular and important to our society.

I am sure in these coming years paper will be replaced by disks and tapes. Moreover a disk can contain much more data than a written page, and it acquires less space!! It is possible to get a telephone directory on just one disk… Computers are well suited for wordprocessing. All the work that we did on paper can be done on the computer more efficiently now. Teachers prefer projectors over white board to give explanations. These days assignments are sent using the internet. We use flash memory and disk to submit our assignments. Moreoever there are search engines which serve the same purpose as encyclopedia which give us more information easily and in a very short time. Since we have encyclopedia’s available on disks it is not very essential to keep encyclopedia’s . Therefore disks have replaced books.

Today, many kids have video games. It can be said that video games have replaced many other games like monopoly and ludo. In a way, it is a great advantage that the kids are being exposed to computers at an early age because they will definitely have to use them later when they start working. The impression people have about videogames is often negative , which hinder the kids from doing homework and other useful activities. It is partially true, if they ignore other activities. Playing strategy games improves their way of thinking. But generally, I think the younger generations touch with computers is positive.

Another new area, called “virtual reality” is currently being tested. This is a way to simulate reality on a monitor. In order to feel this so called reality we have to wear special electronic and an electronic suit. Fastened to the suit are sensors, which send information to the main computer. This computer works with the data and displays them on the electronic spectacles. This is a technique which uses three-dimensional views; therefore the scenery seems incredibly realistic. If you want to be a boxer, simply change the scenery on the main computer, and you are in the ring.
All over the world today, it is getting more common to have a computer at home. You can use a personal computer to keep household budgets or any other important documents. It is also possible to get in touch with your bank and transfer money while you sit at home. It is possible to contact other databases and gather information from them. The use of computers has lead to other criminal actions. “Hacking” is one of them. A “hacker” steals and manipulates information from other databases. These crimes can be very harmful. In The USA, hackers have managed to break into NASA’s database. The computer programmes, the software, are extremely high priced. Sometimes they are even more expensive than the hardware. Therefore it is not unusual to make copies of these programmes, this is strictly illegal, but nobody seems to care, because it is difficult to control it. There are pirated cd’s of computer games, movie vcd’s and dvd’s available everywhere so people prefer pirated cd’s over original as they are cheap and most of them come into the market before the original ones. Software producers loose billions of dollars each year because of this. There are various tools which are used for computer security; most common one is the password system. Many methods have been invented to prevent this, but since the “hackers” often are more intelligent than those who make the software, I doubt that there will ever be a successful way to hinder this.
If everyone in this world has a good conduct and behavior, there is no need to use any complicated security system to protect the computer. I personally feel computers have become an important part in today’s world. Like ever other technology, computer technology has merits and demerits. One should make the best use of computer technology rather than manipulating it.


© Copyright 2006 E (zahid19 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1174018-computerized-world