*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1174535-my-Shadow
Rated: 13+ · Other · Emotional · #1174535
a girl moves to a farm, a place where her haunted isolation threatens to overcome her life
The Shadow.

I’m running. My heart pounding as I struggle to suppress my panic. He’s coming for me; I can feel him following me, his presence haunting me. My black shadow, my demons, chasing me, closing in on me. I watch the scene from the empty night sky as the driving rain pierces my skin. I’m dodging the dense trees, it shadows my every move.

I wander through the trees at the back of our section. We moved out here at the start of the summer and I was against it from the start. I hated the idea of leaving my life behind me, my friends, my job… most of all I miss my brother, he stayed. My world crashed when he abandoned me. The only people here are my parents, they suffocate me. I explored our section to find a haven, a place to retreat to. I found the forest. The dense leaves overshadowing my path provide a sense of security and comfort as they keep me hidden. No one can get me here.

The sun filters through the leaves above me, the light dancing on the dew drops at my feet. The rest of the world must still be sleeping. The clean morning air fills my lungs as the clear day beckons me. A promise of what’s to come. Through the trees I spot a small blue stream. The soft tranquil sounds of the water spread peace through my body, I relish the feeling. I could stay here forever. I pull my notebook out of my pocket and begin to write.

The black shadow follows me again as I tear across the lawn. It’s so close to swallowing me, but I can’t let it win. I refuse to be suffocated. I reach the trees, searching for a safe place to hide from my demons. Ahead I see the stream, it cannot cross and it cannot beat me here. I sit on the other side, taunting the shadow. It slowly diminishes, leaving me in peace.

I make my way back into the house. I avoid the voices I can hear softly arguing and tip-toe past the living room. I climb the stairs at the end of the hall, careful not to make a sound that will alert my parents to my presence. I enter my room, where I can finally relax. I am on my own. Once more I get out my notebook.

I walk to the window and glance down. Something catches my eye. Amongst the green grass and luscious garden, I see a black shadow dancing. I scan the lawn and find nothing t cast this silhouette. Shivers run down my spine as I watch the danger. I am somehow drawn to it, yet I must stay away.

“Isabelle!” My mother’s scream rang out across the meadow and out into the forest before her. I move towards the window and see her standing there, impatiently waiting for me to make an appearance. I run down the hall as I hear her call again, her irritation mounting, and the knot in my stomach grows.
“Where have you been?” she demands of me.
“For a walk, then I was in my room.” I watch my hands, unable to bring myself to meet her uncompromising glare.
“Well, your father and I have something to say” she replied in a crisp, no-nonsense tone. She walks straight past me into the hall, before turning into the lounge.

In my head the shadow grows. It joins forces to become a formidable enemy. I wish I could run, but unlike my stories this is too real. Too painfully and hauntingly real.

© Copyright 2006 kit_kat (kat_gedye at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1174535-my-Shadow