*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1174953-Chapter-4-A-New-Dawn
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #1174953
Seth is badly injured in a sword fight, and he awakes to find something...new
Chapter 4


         Seth was having the most wonderful dream. He was back home in the mountains with his parents, nestled away in the snow in a cottage. They were skiing, and everything was perfect. Mom come here!

Hey Seth what’s up? answered his mom.

I’ll race you to the bottom!

Hey, you’re on!

Go! The wind was rushing past Seth, rippling his clothes. He didn’t have a care in the world…then it all went wrong. Seth’s mom fell behind him, and screamed. There were Llendak all around her. They were all around him. His mom screamed, and fell. The Llendak poured in on her. There was nothing he could do. Seth felt so helpless. Then they turned, and the leader plunged his sword into Seth’s gut.

“NO! MOM! NO!”

“Hey, hey are you ok? Calm down boy. There you go… so you’re awake! Atta boy Seth! Thought you were a gonner!” exclaimed a very startled Cass, who was huddled around a small fire.

         Nighttime had fallen, and Seth was freezing; soaked with a nervous sweat. It had all seemed so real…but it was a dream? Panting, he sat up and took in his surroundings, as well as the thick bundle of cloth that was wrapped tightly around his leg.

“We’re still in the desert…we’re still alive…how?”

“We were lucky that’s how. The Llendak were weak. Usually are after feeding. They weren’t there by accident though that’s for sure.”

“Yeah…Cass…just before I blacked out I saw, thought I saw…”

“Saw what…magic? Yes you did see that. I am no expert, but I am proficient in a tight situation and you were about to die. That cut on your leg is still pretty nasty, and you’ve been out for a week!”

“How do you know magic? A week…what happened to me?”

“You got sliced on your thigh. Lost a lot of blood; and I mean a lot. You were lucky to make it as far as you did in the fight. And after that it’s been pretty tough to care for you. A day more and you wouldn’t have made it. The Llendak were here for a reason though, and it puzzles me that they stayed so long. Anyways I had to hide you after we finished them because a couple of sentries showed up to investigate.”

“Us? I didn’t do anything I…”

“Oh ho yes you did! Those Llendak were not happy with you. I think you killed their leader.”

“How?”

“The captain, or some higher rank, was in the group that attacked you. He was more than likely the first one to attack. You must have blocked his attack and knocked him backwards because…well he fell on his sword. Probably not intentional, but still not a fun way to go.”

         Seth was stunned. “I killed him? I-I couldn’t have…but you used magic!”

“Yes. Osake taught me personally. Osake, as I think you know, is the leader of the rebellion. His name is really Osake the Fifth, but Osake works fine for simplicity. Anyway, you were in trouble, and those final two Llendak would have finished you so I did the only thing I could think of.”

“Osake…he…is who we are going to see?”

“Eventually. You have killed the Emperor’s soldiers, so there is no turning back now; you must be brought to him sooner or later. There are many things we must take care of first, while you are relatively unknown.”

“Ok.” croaked Seth. His throat was dryer than the sand he sat upon, but it could wait. He needed to know what was going on.

“Well. Long ago, right after the Hundred Year War when Riyal became emperor, a prophecy was made that a boy would be born a slave with, well that mark on your ankle, and when the country was at it’s weakest he would step up to save it.”

“So I have to save the world…”

“Yes. But the description is very vague and there is no doubt that the Emperor thinks that you are going to help him. That cannot happen. The rebellion learned that such a boy had been born and was on the black market. Osake foresaw the problem, and tasked 20 spies, including myself, to find you and bring you to him.”

“So, I am a bargaining toy that is supposed to save the world.”

“Do not interrupt me. I’ve been undercover for two years now; so has everybody else. We were called The Unknowns. And now that I’ve found you, we need to bring you back to the rebellion. You must understand though, the Emperor is evil and would do anything to get to you. If he ever does, do not talk to him. This is hard to understand, especially at your age, but you must die rather than help him. He has plunged this country into debt, war, and misery. We need you to help the rebellion to overthrow the treasonous Emperor, and restore peace to the country.”

“How…me?” muttered Seth, completely overwhelmed at what he had just been told. There was an entire government out to get him. They wanted him dead.

“Directly, your task isn’t as complicated as it sounds. At least for the Rebellion anyways. They will want you to raise spirits and then do a little fighting, nothing too serious. But that isn’t the hard part.”

“What? Why?”

“Because the Rebellion indirectly, and very secretly let me tell you, has been influencing the influx of weapons into the country, the power of the ‘royal’ army, and thus the government. Shipments have randomly gone missing; you’ve heard of this haven’t you?”

“A little. Clayton was always mad about items that didn’t show up.”

“Yes. Until recently, that was very effective. But now, well, rumors have reached my ears that there are a new breed of soldier being employed. A breed of soldier that is entirely immersed in evil, and can stealthily evade any of our efforts. We are to track them. And destroy them.”

“How. An entire army?”

“Not yet. As of now there are only a few. The exact orders were whosoever discovers the boy would be to train him in the arts. You know combat, and maybe some magic. The person was to then report in at, er, in Bear Claw Inn. Its just west of Nathare.”

“So we are going to Nathare?”

“For now. Getting out of Elronel Wasúl will not be an easy task with the few supplies we have left.”

“Why is the desert called that?”

“Eh, the elves found it and the elves named it. That’s all I really know.”

“Elves!”

“Yeah, but you would be better informed with our friends, so to speak.”

“Then we shall collect our supplies, and leave in the morning.”

“Excellent. Its amazing how much energy a sixteen year old that has just entered manhood can have after a nice weeklong nap!”
© Copyright 2006 Complexo (southsidehcky at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1174953-Chapter-4-A-New-Dawn