*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1180295-Forging-a-KingHeros-of-Dreancpts3-5
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Sample · Fantasy · #1180295
The next instalment
Yeavonna’s head rang with pain and her stomach lurched, as she lay bound and gagged on the storeroom floor. She had been talking with one of the two that had hired Blain earlier that evening, asking where they were going and about the other companions they had brought back with them. Yeavonna didn’t even see the blow coming, and couldn’t say for sure who had delivered it. All of the other patrons had wandered off to sleep in the rooms upstairs, and they were waiting for her lover. She had finished most of her closing duties while business was slow. So, she thought she might see how long Blain was going to be gone. Now she thought that she might have done better to keep to her own affairs.

She hoped that hoped that he would not miss any part of his payment because of her inquiry. Just then, a horrifying revelation occurred to her. These cloaked travelers intended to do Blain some unspeakable harm. She suddenly became very ill indeed.
Teal attempted to run when she saw the form of a man, emerge from the trees in the distance and headed south down the forest road. She could only take a few more ragged steps before tumbling headlong into the dust. By the time she managed to pull herself to her knees, whoever it was had already disappeared into the deepening shadows. She felt so misused by the fates that she broke into a choking sob. How bold Teal had thought her-self, upon leaving the palace and her father’s unfounded fears for her behind. Now, she wished he were here to wipe the grime from her face and send her to rest in the warmth of her room.

Teal felt as if she had been gone forever. Though, it had only been a few days. Everything hurt, including her pride. She realized she could not just sit there in the middle of the road on the open plain. If she made it to the trees where the figure had emerged, maybe she could build a fire and sleep there for a while. A few hours rest would make her feel better. And after all, she was in no hurry now. She was already going to miss the gathering she had foreseen. Come to think of it, she had not actually seen or discerned herself at this meeting. She only knew that she was with the boy as he left on his journey.

Teal rose unsteadily to her feet, wiped the mud her tears had made from her eyes, and concentrated on putting one foot in front of the other. A short while later, she passed into the shelter of the forest. It was almost too dark to find the wood needed to make a fire. But, she managed to find enough to do until she could find more. She built the fire only a few yards off the road. Not the best of ideas, especially sence she was by herself in a place that she was unfamiliar with. She wasn’t exactly thinking clearly at the moment. Not to mention the fact that she did not like the thought of sleeping in those strange woods at night. After finding enough wood to make the fire last more than just a few hours, and piling it all on at one time, she simply lay down in the grass and was promptly asleep.

By some miracle, the entire night passed without incident. Teal awoke with a start. She felt rested for sure. But, she scolded herself for having wasted valuable time on sleep. There was nothing she could do about it now. She would just have to hope it would not change the vision she’d had. Just then, she heard something that she had not the night before. It was the sound of running water. It was coming from just inside the forest to her left. Maybe she would get the chance to clean some of the dirt from body and clothes before she reached Haven Shire. It was then that she realized that she was so thirsty her lips were cracked and bleeding. What a sight she must be.

She would have given all her jewels for a new blouse, but that would have to wait. For the moment, a drink of cool water would taste better than the finest wine. Any drink of water would have for that matter. She rose slowly, her muscles stiff and sore but otherwise controllable. A short distance into the trees, she found the small stream. There, she carefully removed her garments and placed them on a rock at the water’s edge. Teal stepped into the center of the stream and began to wash. The feel of the water on her skin was a welcome shock. After washing herself, she took her clothes and did the same with them. She took great care not to tare them any further. She took the strips that had been her sleeves, and tied the front of her blouse together. It wasn’t much, but it would have to do. Feeling a bit more refreshed, and a lot less like a kitchen rat, she found her way back to the road and turned south, walking at a moderate pace.

Cauth passed the through window of the upper room of the Black Tower from which he had been sent. As he returned to Elven form, he cursed the aged wizard who had banished him from his watch. Cauth remained perfectly still, as he awaited his master’s appearance. He knew all to well, that any movement would be taken as an attempt to hide from Act`aumal’s punishment, which he knew would only compound his pain.

So he waited, for what seemed like hours. Just when he thought he would escape punishment for what was obviously not his fault, long skeletal fingers closed about his throat. Caressingly at first, but moments later, they tightened into an ironlike choke-hold. Cauth thought that he had finally earned the death he had always feared. This time the master would not forgive him. Nor would he be satisfied with simply inflicting pain. He intended to choke the life out of him and be done with it.

“Caaaauuuutttthhh! You are a doom upon me! Why have I allowed you to live so long? Do you ask for death with your failure? Have I overburdened you? What do you have for an answer?” Act`aumal hissed.

No sound came to the tiny room, but Cauth’s mind squirmed with every word. His tongue moving faster than his mind could follow, Cauth began offering excuses at an astounding rate. The more he babbled, the tighter the grip on his throat became. The tighter it became, the faster he talked, as if finding the right excuse would have better than telling the truth. By the time he realized his mistake, he was already blacking out, with only gasps coming out of his mouth.

The morning had passed uneventfully, as had the remainder of that night. It was now mid morning as they turned onto the mountain road. For more than an hour now, Blain had begun to feel increasingly uneasy. The journey had started with Blain and his two employers leading the rest of the party. Sometime after dawn though, he had begun to find himself in the midst of the group, as if he were being escorted somewhere. Not a feeling he particularly enjoyed. Try as he might, he had not been able to get close enough to the pair from the Inn, to find out what was happening. Almost another hour passed in the same manner. Blain, growing angrier by the minute, was about to charge through the group to the front, when he felt a slight burning prick in his neck. He had just enough time to turn and see the ivory blowgun protruding from the cowled face to his right. Then he was watching the ground come up to meet him. Thankfully, he wasn’t conscious of the sickening thud of its meeting with his face.

After emptying what she would have sworn was an already void stomach, Yeavonna rolled out of the puddle of her filth and onto her knees to find that her bonds were not so tight as she first assumed. She quietly untied herself, and went to try the door. At that moment, she realized why her attackers had not taken more care in tying her up. The door latch had been jammed shut from the outside. Normally that would have been more than enough to keep whomever was inside, safely out of the way. Yeavonna was not so easy to imprison, especially in her own storeroom. She quickly found the iron bar she used to open crates. Then, she simply took the pins from the hinges.

Beautifully slender fingers caressed the black orb clutched in the stony claws of a Dragon. All was not as she had left it when she began her long sleep. In truth, she would be sleeping still, had the orb not raised her from her rest. It was only to awaken her in the event that Blain had found another to love him and posses his heart. She herself longed to posses him, and would destroy the world because she could not.

Mealaghn smiled thinly as the moons rays broke through the illusion of her fingers to land on the surface of the Dragon’s Pearl. She had nearly forgotten that it was only her essence, which awoke. Mealaghn would need Nhelb to read the spell on her ring, and then place it onto her finger, in order for her to become fully awake. Now, where was the filthy little wretch? Had he abandoned her in her slumber for some other mistress? If he had, it would be the rebirth of a familiar and unsettling trend.

“I am here as always mistress!” Nhelb whined.

“Even though you persist in insulting me so!” he accused.

“I am yours. This you know, for it is you who hold the scale of my life cradled in your bosom. So I cannot depart from you. Be assured that it will not always be thus. In time, I will be free of you. For now, I am yours to command. But, use what you have of me wisely, for there is not much left.” The last was a whispered sigh of longing.

He did not speak of some long planned escape that would free him from his bonds. No, that would have been more than he deserved. He spoke only of the pleasurable fact that he did not sleep as his tormenter did. So, he would not live the length of life she would. His days were almost at an end, and he would the freedom that the end of them would bring.

“Yes, yeesssssss, my little mule!” Mealaghn cooed.
“You will die very soon indeed,” she agreed.

“Though if I were you, I would not assume that it would mean the end of your service to me. Now if we are through with this mindless blather, you must perform the waking at once! There are things that require my special attention.” There was ice in her words.

Nhelb pitied any object of her attention.


Chapter Three
In the longest hour of dawn

Vaughlen’s lips curled slightly upward under the drooping edges of his long white mustache. All of those to whom he had sent the callings, in various forms, had shown, save for a few. With any luck, he could make his case to all at once. Then, be on his way with the boy, before sunrise tomorrow.
After what seemed like an excruciatingly long while, and not a word passed between the would-be adventurers, Phaulthod cleared his throat to speak.

“It has been more than a few minutes since we seated ourselves. Maybe we should begin this discussion? We can always fill the others in as they arrive. I assume we do not have a lot of time, since one never does in matters such as this.” As much as he tried to whisper, Phaulthod’s voice could still be heard from just outside the Singing Willow.

Breahl crouched in a shadowed corner to the right of Singing Willow’s front door. She cursed the fates for not providing her a chance to obtain clothing before she had to take human form and sprint for the Inn. Well, at least they would not overlook her presence. Jumping to her feet, she flung the door open and rushed inside. More than one mug hit the floor, and quite a few breaths were halted midstream. Only Truek and Vaughlen remained unaffected by the sudden appearance of the completely nude young woman. Truek, because Gnomes preferred a much different look in their mates. And Vaughlen of course, was beyond the pondering of such things.

The others would let the event slip from their memories with the passing of years. All save Quin. He would look upon her always as no man had or ever would, and the years would not dim that look in his eyes when they fell on her.

“Looks as if your suggestion was a bit premature Phaulthod,” Vaughlen huffed.

“We may as well wait a while longer,” he offered over his shoulder, as he handed the woman his cloak.

“It’s thanken ya’ kindly I am,” Breahl stated bowing.

“I wasna’ haven tha’ ti`em ta’ be getten tha ri`et clothen. I be mores tha le`eter then what’s given a’ lady fer`sher,” she added, loudly enough for the others to hear, while trying not to look in their direction.

“As a Wood Nymph, you should have known to pick a better tree,” Vaughlen scolded. He knew her answer before she spoke.

“Ther be better trees, ta’ be cert`en,” Breahl agreed softly.

“But, nuns whats could holds ta’ tha’ likes a’ that`ther one. She be tha’ ken a’ tha’ old`ens afer, whens tha’ firs wuz all ther` be.” Breahl suddenly looked very sad.

“Interesting,” Vaughlen acknowledged, tugging the ends of his long gray mustache.

“Perhaps we will talk of it some other time. For now, I think our inn keeper should see what he has in his storeroom to make you a bit less of a distraction.” He smiled at the harsh look he received from Bellthore.

“I hope ya brung yer purse wizurd,” Bellthore spat.

“Everythin aint free ta tha likes a you,” he grumbled.

Vaughlen did not smile at that. When Bellthore returned, he threw an old set of Quins work clothes at the woman, and stood in front of the wizard hand out, palm up. Breahl turned and started toward the kitchen.

“Ya ken dress whur ya stands,” Bellthore boomed.

“I aint haven a’ one a’ ya out ma sight till I fyn out whuts hapnen here. It’s ma inn an’ ya picken `er bones like a’ feast day hen!” he stated coldly.

“Please excuse Bellthore’s bluntness my dear,” Vaughlen offered mildly.
“I am afraid that I have left our friendship in a state of disrepair, and he tends to hold a grudge.” He looked sadly at his old friend, and saw the anger still there. How long was he going to mourn the loss of her?

“E`ef `e be yer fre`end, I be want`en ta n`ew tha lek`ens a’ tha uns that no be.” Breahl sounded all too serious.

“As ya be wenten.” She smiled.

“I k`en dew`et here. I be thenk`en tha boy will be went`en ta see tha more a me while he be able.” With that, she discarded the cloak and sent a rush of blood to Quin’s head that threatened to make him black out.

“Boy!!!” Bellthore call.

“Dren yer ale afore ya put yersef face down. An dun ya spillet neather, ets tha gooden!” Bellthore shouted at Quin.

Gualshome roared with laughter and slapped Quin on the back so hard that he almost threw his drink onto Truek’s face. A string of curses flew from the gnome in a wail, of which only “drew`enk`en lew`elt” was discernable.
Quin, at the moment, could hear nothing but the rush of blood in his ears. In seconds, he saw only darkness, and felt nothing as his face met with the oaken surface in front of him.
What a pity, and Breahl hadn’t even shown the boy her best side yet. Well, she would just have to repeat the performance for him in private at a later date. She had no doubt that there would be a later date.

“Me ne`em be Breahl.” The nymph introduced.

“I sees what’s a’ n`ew be all tha’ le`et Ef`en I`ev m`essed enn`eth`en ev tha nam`ens, yer sure ta ke`em ta ma rew`em le`eter en gev`em yersevs one ba one,” she invited.

“I be thenk`en ya be m`ess`en one er t`ew, er da they yet be kem`en?” She absolutely loved showing off how much she knew about business other than hers!

“You’ll have ta be maken that one tha less ta be commen!” Shewen injected breathlessly.

“Vaughlen, Bellthore, sorry ta be arriven without me escort, but I’m thinken tha attention be unwise fer tha matter,” he finished as he stepped unsteadily into the light of an oil lamp.

“Yer then`en be ret a’ spect ol’ fren,” Bellthore agreed solemnly.

“`Um haven a notion at I be tha only`un here at dunno wutz goen on. A` tell ya `is, ya better get yersef a nu sack a bones afore ol’ Udale Wornhammer a’ spotts ya pra`den rown like tha boy `e los las summer.” The last came as he left his place at the far table, and moved to the bar for another pitcher of ale and three additional mugs.

Her newfound energy did not carry her far, and Teal became increasing weary as the sun climbed slowly into the mornings gray and cloudy sky. Her pace slowed to a crawl. It would take more than one night’s rest to rid her of the fatigue she felt. The problem was, she would see many more nights pass, without the chance for a restful slumber.

She was forced to stop for a brief rest, as the sun topped the trees to the east. She estimated that she had only gone about four miles or so. This pace would put her arriving at the Singing Willow some time early the following morning. That would most likely be just in time to learn that the others had left without her.

Teal picked herself up from the small rock on which she had plopped, and trudged wearily south down the Southland Way. Though she knew this pace would find her hours too late to attach herself to the boy and his companions, she could not convince her legs to move one whit faster.

Shadows moved in the woods to the east and north of the Southland Way. Thauhlmex and his captains watched as the princess stumbled on. He had to admire this slip of a girl. She had not given up, as he thought she surely must. Time was running out on him. Thauhlmex was expected back at the palace in three days time. The King would have his heart for a broach if he found out that he was about to assassinate his only daughter.

As much as Thauhlmex would love to do the girl right this minute, he had to wonder what it was that could drive her to such lengths. He had ordered his men to stay well back of the tree line. They were to follow her until he was satisfied that he knew what she was about, then take her and hold her so that he himself could cut that pretty throat.

Teal never noticed that she had company, not even when one of them fell over a bramble and choked back a string of fine profanity. Her mind was so involved in just moving one leg, and then the other, that they could have been dancing, and singing, and she would not have heard a single word.


Chapter Four
A day of preparation

When Bellthore returned with the mugs and ale, he noticed that Breahl had seated herself next to Quin at the table, and was still letting her left breast show. Thank the gods the boy was still out cold.

“Well!” Vaughlen announced, as he tapped his staff against the side of the table.

“We might as well get to it. The others will simply have to be caught up later. In truth, there is only supposed to be one more arrival here. The other two will be picked up along the way. Since we have indeed not made any formal introductions, we may as well get that out of the way first. I am Vaughlen, a wizard of sorts, and petitioner for this much needed gathering,” he began. He sat back in his chair, arms folded over the head of his staff as the others introduced themselves in turn, from Bellthore to his left, back around to Breahl on his right.

“Now that that is done, let me come directly to the point. All here, who have any age to you, know that great evil exists in the world. I tell you now, even more than that, evil in this world has a form. There is an evil so potent, that it has become a living thing. Not a notion or a desire that possesses a man, but a living thing made of its own will, I have gathered you here because in one of you lies the ability to destroy this evil. Which of you carries this gift, I do not yet know. I do know this. Even those of you that do not have it will play other, necessary roles. Some of you will die, of that you can be sure. Some always do. All of you will be legends. Mistake me not! It is a dreadful thing I ask. Let there be no lies (but there were) in this. We must travel to the Palace of the Old Kingdom to retrieve a magical item that will show us who the barer of the gift and responsibility will be. Any who do not wish to go, must agree to forget that we met here. Though, they should also consider that they themselves may be the barer. Now, let it be known of all, what is decided?” he finished in almost one breath.

The boy was awake by the beginning of the wizard’s speech, and was now staring stupefied, at the old man. How could he have known about the dreams? “Am I tha only one that knows it’s me he wants?” Could it really be one of the others? Whatever the case, he realized he would have to go to find out! His mind still twisting around the prospects, he answered.

“I’ll go, even if all I get ta do is see another place than this.” Quin figured that was as good a reason as any.

“You will most certainly do that my lad,” Vaughlen promised.
And wish that you could see your old home again before it is done, though Vaughlen dared not speak that last out loud. Bellthore leaned forward and stared angrily at the aged wizard

“Damn ya ta ash Vaughlen!” he growled.

“Ya n`ew tha boy`ed go, an cuz `e did, I’d be hav`en ta go ma`sef,” Bellthore accused.

“Well `m tellen ya `is, ya aint gunna be sa’ glad ta have me thar,” he threatened.

There was no doubt that Bellthore meant every word. The way Quin’s fatherlooked at him, told him that they would have a long discussion about trusting strangers in the very near future.
Since the others had all come this far, they agreed to at least the journey to the Old Kingdom. Truek of course swore he could go no further than that. The only one that hesitated, was Tallen. It was only after Vaughlen gave him a letter from the Elven King ordering him to render service to the wizard, that he too agreed

Tallen, Phaulthod, and Truek found rooms near the upstairs landing and took a few hours needed rest. The others sat at a back table making idle conversation, while Bellthore tended his morning customers. Mean while, Quin was set to doing his usual chores.

After a brief lunch, and a wake up of those upstairs, they all gathered in front of the fireplace to decide the best path to take to the Old Kingdom. Staying off the main roads was not a contested point. It just seemed the right thing to do. Unfortunately that was where the cooperation ended. Some thought staying off any road was the right plan. Others felt that taking the old roads would save time, and make for easier travel. In the end it was Bellthore who came up with a plan all could agree to. They would skirt the Hills of Faith’s Ward north until just east of King’s Gate. Then the group would split into two parts and cross the Southland Way into the Pendren Forest. One would cross just after nightfall, the other just before midnight. Still traveling north, they would catch the old road a few miles east of King’s Ford, where it crossed the King’s Wash River. Once on the north side of the river, they could travel the brush-covered banks east to a hidden pass, and from there on to the King’s Blade Mountains, and the Old Kingdom.

Once done with their business there, it would be through the pass on the North Slope, through the Queen’s Orchard, and into Wind’s Hollow. After they reached that point in their journey, whoever was left could debate the course of the next leg. No one wished to comment on Bellthore’s assumption that not all of them would make it that far. Doing so would have acknowledged that he was likely right.

Vaughlen divided the supply list amongst the group, with the exceptions of Truek, Phaulthod, and Shewen. They would have drawn far too much attention to themselves by just being who or what they were. Tallen was given the task of gathering arrowheads, though he protested that he already had his own arrows and bow. He did not trust human craftsmanship. Vuaghlen assured him that he would not find better arrowheads even in the Elven kingdom. With a doubtful look, Tallen took some small cloth sacks from behind the serving bar and left for the forge.

Next, Vaughlen sent Breal into the forest to coax from the older Oaks, ten long bows, recurved at their tips, and enough shafts to outfit everyone in the party with thirty shafts each. Then she was to take them to the fletcher. With instructions that the feathers were to be placed one length further down on the shaft. They could be picked up by Bellthore later that evening. Quin watched Breahl’s body sway as she disappeared through the back door and into the garden.

Phaulthod insisted on helping Bellthore gather their food stuffs from the
storerooms. They headed downstairs with instructions that should be one packs worth each, plus one extra. Their weight should not exceed could be carried on the weakest of their backs. Bellthore grumbled that he could carry that much in his trousers, but the wizard ignored him. Quin was sent to the stables to obtain thier horses and pack saddles. Then he was to take them to the furrier and have fresh shoes put on the lot. When he was finished, he was not to put them back in the stables. He was to take them to a place across the stream, opposite the Inn’s garden and tether them there.

Everyone having been set to their individual tasks, the rest of the afternoon passed without incident. Earlier that morning, Bellthore sent his youngest son to a family friend’s to stay for a few days. He told the boy that he and Quin would be traveling north to see about some new wines for the Inn. Though they did not look quite convinced, he did as his father wished. Bellthore knew that anything involving the wizard would be that short lived. If he had told the boy to stay any longer, both his son and the people he was sent to, would have become suspicious, and asked question.

Shewen decided to take a rest in the shade by the stream at the rear of the garden. He was discovered by Vaughlen and advised that a room and a wash basin would be better for his health. Shewen did not miss the threat in that, and so made for the Inn at a hurried pace.

Gaulshome already had the mail shirts Vaughlen had requested, and now insisted that each of them be fitted to it’s owner. It was not so much that they be the right size for the wearer, as that he wanted them to see how light and flexible they were. Dwarves were proud of the armors they crafted. They were not known for enchanted blades, like the Elves. Nor for their fine cloths, like the humans. But, in stone or steal worked by sweat and hands, they had no equal!

As evening began to approach, Vaughlen sat alone in the kitchen and pondered again the things, few though they were, he knew about the Old Kingdom. Something lay there, he knew, that wished to be free of that place. He also knew that he could never allow it to be. This he had learned on his last visit to the place. He and all who traveled with him had barely escaped with their lives. All but one, his daughter, and she had died there. Oh she not passed until they reached Wind’s Hollow. But, make no mistake, her life been stolen in that place as surely as if she had been torn to pieces. Something else abided there as well, though he believe that whatever it was, did not wish to leave. It also did not for them to remain. It moved in the shadows. Always on the edge of his vision, but never directly visible. This was what troubled him most. He could deal with what he knew to avoid, but what was unknown was altogether a different matter.
Well, He would have to deal with it all the same. Hopefully it would not take the deaths of more of them than the task could bare, to do so.
Hours passed, and Teal’s leg began to feel like something the poor always ate at morning meals. She was starting to doubt wether she would make it to the human village at all. Finding a small puddle, she fell to knees and drank as much of the muddy water as she could stomach. After crawling the first few yards, she made it to her feet again and began stumbling south once more.

Another hour or two passed, and the pain in her legs threatened to consume her. She stopped for a moment, shoulders slumped, thinking that she could go no further. The sun had begun to sink behind the trees to the west, and there was still no sign of Haven Shire. This was all a mistake, she thought. She could not even get to where she was going. How then, was she going to save the boy, when all others thought him lost, as her dream had foretold. Tears filled her weary eyes, and her shoulders shook.

Her sorrow was so complete that she almost missed it. Teal lifted her head. There it was again, but what was it? Suddenly her mind woke, and she smiled. A hammer striking steal. A blacksmith, and her destination. Haven Shire! Peering into the growing dark, and down the road in front of her, harder than before, she could make out small pinpricks of light. Houses, and too many to be just a trading post.

With more strength than she thought she had left, she began trotting toward the lights. Pain shot all through her, but she did not care. She had made it! Late or not! She would at least have a bath, some new clothes, and a bed to sleep on. She silently promised herself that she would not get out of it for at least a whole day. Then she would try to barter for a horse. If she got one, she knew that she should probably ride straight back to the palace. She would not, of course. She would try to find out where the boy had gone, and go after him.

Catching her foot on a stone, Teal sprawled hard on the ground. Not even stopping to check her injuries, she struggled to her feet and continued on. She was so bleary eyed and frantic, that she almost missed the road leading south, and the small huts that lined it. Turning herself falteringly south. She ran crazed past hut, wagon and villager alike, arms flailing, wild haired, bare breasted and filthy. She was oblivious of the wide-eyed stare she received from the humans she streaked past. Her eyes were searching for the largest building around. That would certainly have to be the Singing Willow. Teal sighed with relief so hard that she almost lost her breath, as she entered the village green, and spotted the Inn across the wide grassy area to her right. She was almost halfway across when she glimpsed the familiar form of her brother. Her stomach lurched and her legs buckled. Her last thought was that she would refuse to go back home. Then, her foot struck something, and the ground rushed up to kiss her square on the lips. She never felt the impact. In fact, she never even struck the ground. Tallen’s arms closed about her just inches from the earth.

Chapter Five
Little secrets

After fallowing the girl for a few more hours, Thaulmex was beginning to think that the princess was just running away. Probably from some imagined monster in one of those strange dreams of hers. She had been having them since she was a small child. Something like that could not be kept a secret for long, especially among the royal court. Though, no one would ever speak of it. The princess obviously mentally defective, sense seers were usually human. She was a nice enough girl in retrospect, and very beautiful, but those were the ones he enjoyed killing the most. Oh, he had killed many over the years. More than a dozen near as he could figure. The exact number, he could not be certain of. After all, he had started when ha was just a youth, and he had seen two hundred and fifty winters since.

His smile widened as the princess stumbled over a rock and went down hard. The fall demolished her tunic as she skidded. This was it! He gave his men the order to take her now. But, just as they began to charge the road, she sprang up and bolted off, making a sharp turn south. She ran like someone gone mad. She was beating at the air like she was fighting off some horrible creature. The men were so surprised by her sudden burst of speed, that they were left standing in the shadows with their blades held high and their mouths hung open. By the time they gained their wits, she was already pas houses and humans alike, who could not help but to notice her half naked flight. All they could do now, was watch her go. The master was not going to like this at all. He wanted the girl dead, and wanted it to be as painful as was possible. Thauhlmex also understood that, under no circumstances, was this to be a public execution. So, he ordered his men back into the woods and turned them northeast. Then they headed back to Fey, and the palace.

Awake now but not fully rested Mealaghn returned to the Dragon’s Pearl.
Speaking the incantation to herself, she stroked the cool surface of the orb with one slender finger. Slowly images began to appear. First there was an inn and a planned journey, then the roadway and a beauty hunted by a beast, last was a place she did not know and creatures she could not have imagined. They turned ans stared as if they saw her. The air tingled around her and the orb went black. Impossible! No one could detect her probes, and certainly not see her through them. Unless, they already knew exactly what and who to look for. Suddenly, she felt the presence of one or both of her brothers in this business. Oh, this was going to be interesting indeed. She looked forward to a reunion. Then she’d have the opportunity to kill them both.
Now, all she had to do was wait for the perfect moment to inject herself into their little schemes. She promised herself that she would simply watch for the moment, and see what strength they had gained since she slept. Mealaghn had always considered herself the stronger of the three. Though, she knew that it did not pay to underestimate her brothers. They did, after all share the same blood as her.

Her attention turned back to those creatures in the vision. What were they? And who had made them. They weren’t natural, that much she knew. The magic worked in them seemed somewhat familiar, though she couldn’t quite put it with its wielder. This would warrant further investigation once she found a way to remain undetected. For now, she must prepare herself to deal with the wench who had snared her lover from under her very nose. The serving girl would soon know a fate worse then Blain’s betrothed. This woman would suffer as no other ever had.

She folded her robes about her and turned toward her library. She would find all the spells of power she needed to return to full strength, hidden in the vault behind it’s shelves. She was proud of her vast library, though she rarely read anything that did not add to her abilities.

Act’aumal sat patiently waiting for any sign that Cauth’s mind was recovering from the torture. The Elf possessed a surprising rezialance when it came to such things. Though, it seemed his wits were dulled a little more each time. No matter. He would have no further use for Cauth soon, and would give him the death he so greatly feared. At that moment, Cauth’s eyes fluttered. Act’aumal began to probe his mind immediately.


“You have failed me Elllf!” the Black Wizard accused.

“But, you may yet redeeeem yourselllf,” he teased.

The words were like acid in Cauth’s mind, but he could do nothing to shut them out.

“Tellll me allll that you have witnessssed in Haveeen Shiiiire! Beee sure you leave nooothing out, nooo matter hoooow smalllll a detailllll it miiight seeeeemmm,” his master ordered.

Act`aumal could have simply pried the information from Cauth’s mind, but that would only have damaged him further. Besides, it would have taken more effort than he was willing to exert for the small gain he was likes to receive.
In truth, he learned much. The boy was indeed in the village, as was evident by the presence of Vaughlen, and at least one fairy creature. A wood nymph to be precise. That, he learned by Cauth’s account of the incident in the tree. A cat would have been a better choice than a crow. Then, he could have walked right into the Inn and never been noticed. Well. At any rate, he had the name of the village at last. All he had to do was find out what boy had left the village, and where he had gone. For not the first time, he wished he had his sister’s ability to use the Dragon’s Pearl. After all, he and his twin brother had risked life and limb to obtain the orb, and he of course, had done the Ogres share of the work. Only to find out afterwards, that neither of them possessed the innate magic required to use the thing. Having to turn over custody of the object to their sister, and only living kin, had been the start of a permanent tare between the three.

While Act’aumal was still trying to decide which one of his many spies to send to Haven Shire to gather news of the boy’s whereabouts, and of course his name, a bat-like creature fluttered in through a window. It perched upon Cauth’s chest. He probed it’s mind until it died. He was absolutely outraged by what he learned. Another task he wished completed had been failed at. This time by one that did not usually disappoint him. The princess was still alive, but not for long if she intended to fallow Vaughlen and the boy. Though, her brutal murder in human lands would have better served his purposes. He would accept her death in whatever form it came, as long as it came before she could realize the power inside herself. If she was not there to save the boy, the boy would die. If the boy died, then the child he feared would never be born, and he would rule over all.


Tur`a’liel Shea wondered wether it had been wise to let his daughter to slip away and go in search of the boy. Oh yes, he knew quite well where she had gone. Vaughlen had come to him days earlier and discussed the girl’s dreams. It was only then that he realized that Teal was a part of this rather he wanted her to be or not. Of course, he understood that the boy must be saved, but he had his own ideas as to what purpose. Using his daughter as bait for a fish he had been trying to catch for more than a month, only added to his growing list of regrets.

When he had first begun to suspect Thauhlmex of the murders of several young Elven women, his first inclination was simply to have the man executed and be done with it. Upon further investigation he learned that the number of the man’s friends and their station in Elven society would make that near impossible. At least until he had absolute proof by whatever means necessary. The man must be stopped!

He was glad that he had personal guard to follow Thaulmex and his men. The thought of his daughter at the mercy of a monster like that made his skin itch. Hopefully it would not be long before he received word that Teal had arrived in Haven Shire unharmed. Oh, he knew that she would probably be road worn and ragged. It was all a part of the process. She must be tried by fire, and by sorrow. All, so that she possessed the strength to save the human’s life. He would somehow extract payment for all his kin would be made to endure, and the price would be very high indeed.

Crossing his bedchamber from the washbasin to the glass and oaken doors to the gardens, the stone cold on his bare feet, he stood and stared into the deepening dark. Tur`a’liel gave a quick shudder as he recalled the last words Vaughlen had spoken to him.

“All have debts that will require payment before we see the end of this, except those who do not see the end of it,” the wizard remarked.

“Pay yours soon King of the Elves,” he advised pointedly, and then he was gone.

The old wizard always had some sort of ominous warning on his lips. Most of it was usually bull and bluff, but there was always some bit of truth in it for the listener. That was the part that worried the king the most. Asking Vaughlen what he meant would have been pointless. He always replied that it meant whatever the listener needed it to. No sense dwelling on the issue now. He would probably find out what was meant sooner than suited him anyway.

Vy`orn stood solemnly, peering down into the surface of the basin at the tiny specks of light on Drean. It was his world. He had loved it into being, and given it The First People to care for it. The First People had evolved into many races. Now, only he knew that they were once as one. He had defended it against the other gods. He had even loved one of it’s women enough to give her his child, and had lost her to his pride. Evil had been seeded there by his brother, and had taken root. Now, it had grown to the point that it threatened to crush all else. Still, there remained one hope left to him. A child still bore his blood, weakened though it might be by it’s removal from the first birth. It might yet be strong enough for what was needed, if the boy’s will held.

Vy`orn blew softly over the waters and the images faded. Then turning, he noticed the thin smile on his brother’s blackened lips.

“Worry not brother!” he sneered.

“We shall have our contest soon enough. For now, we cannot interfere.” His words were like spears of ice.

“Indeed we shall!” his brother cooed, and faded into nothing.

To The Nothing with him! He would see it all ruined, and for no other purpose than to prove that he could whatever he wished.

The tent flap flew open and a tall lean figure stepped inside. Without announcing himself, A`shrean closed the flap and strode to the war-table in the center of the tent. General Fay`el looked up from the maps he had spread out before him, only briefly.

“What news have you from the northern front?” the General inquired, without looking up.

A`shrean seated himself and removed his cloak, while the Fay`el awaited his report. The scout listened for long moments. Finally, when he was satisfied that no one else listened, he spoke a single word.

“Nothing!” A`shrean huffed.

Fay`el leaned forward, waiting for more. When the other did not continue, he began to grow angry.

“Calm yourself General! At least until I have explained,” A`shrean soothed.
Fay`el sat back in his high-backed chair and folded his powerful arms over his chest.

“I saw no movement in the Orc camps. There have been no battles in over a week. Even the patrols have not had a skirmish in near as long. This all seemed a little odd. So, I slipped past the enemy pickets, and into the hills just north of their main army. There, I observed several small groups fallowing a foot path north out of the valley. They came at a rate of about two an hour. They never numbered more than half a company strong,” he continued without pause.

“The bug eaters are trying to flank us!” the general interrupted, slamming his fist hard against the table.

“Yes, so it seemed to me as well,” A`shrean admitted.

“So, I traveled west through the hills and came down just wide of our north most picket line. I thought to get ahead of them and learn where they would mass for their attack. All that night I waited. Most of today as well. I saw no sign of them at all. Finally, I grew tired of the waiting, so I fallowed the hills east in search of their trail. I found it about six hours east, at the edge of the Haunted Briar, and I will not go there. It seems as if they are headed straight for the Sea of Bones. And, they are trying not to get caught going,” A`shrean finished, and was passed a mug of ale.

A look of dread came to Fay`el’s eyes but was gone so fast, that A`shrean was almost unsure he had seen it there.

“No matter.” The General shrugged.

“I will send word to A`lhme`ra to fortify her defenses to the north. If they do not attack, then all the better for us. Still, you should probably relay this information to Vehlko`r in the south,” he ordered.

The general smiled poking his finger at a map of the southern pickets. The man seemed a little too impressed with his own reasoning. Something else was going on with the Orcs, and the General knew it. And didn’t seem to care. This troubled A`shrean greatly, but he decided not to force the issue. It was likely to serve only to put him at odds with the man. That would make it more difficult for him to move freely between the armies. No, he would do as he was told, and take the General’s message south. After that, what he did was his own business, He knew exactly where he would go. He would travel west to Haven Shire. Vaughlen had told him that he had business there. He also asked A`shrean to send him word of anything unusual he observed. Well, this was definitely unusual. He decided to notify the wizard personally. Providing of course, the old rambler was still there. The General handed him a sealed letter.

“Vehlko`r doesn’t trust you, but he will trust this. As long as the seal remains unbroken. Rest as much as you can tonight. You will leave at first light,” the General stated flatly.

“I prefer to travel under the cover of night. With permission, I will leave now,” A`shrean offered.

“Very well then. There are some fresh horses behind this tent. Any but the gray, you may use.” General Fay`el waved one hand in dismissal.

A`shrean left the tent smiling, and thought to himself.
“The gray sounds about right for me. I will have to send the General my thanks.” With that, he almost laughed out loud, but thought better of it.
© Copyright 2006 RZWallace (jjamesbrooksjr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1180295-Forging-a-KingHeros-of-Dreancpts3-5