*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1180451-The-Missing-Ring
Rated: E · Other · Mystery · #1180451
An Introduction to the young sleuch Andrew Faraday and his sidekick John Arcelus.
  It was a sunny morning. Andrew Faraday and John Arcelus were leisurely drinking tea outside the canteen.
It was customary for the St. James Academy students to drink tea in the morning.
As for Andrew and John, They had nothing else to do. They had no classes today.
"What are your plans for today John?" asked Andrew.
"Whatever kind of case befalls on you I will observe with zeal."
Andrew laughed.
"Yes, I do hope I will have a case today. There's nothing to-"
"Mr. Faraday, Mr. Faraday, Prof. Dalton has a case for you."
A student was frantically calling. He was running towards their direction.
Andrew stood up.
"Excellent! Come John, duty calls."
John smiled.
"Settle down everybody, he will arrive soon. Ah, here he is."
Prof. Dalton was trying to make the students settle down.
"What seems to be the problem Prof.?"
"The class went to the Chemistry Laboratory an hour ago. Young Mr. Goodal here left his ring in his bag. When he looked, it was gone"
"Yes Mr. Faraday, I left it." said Goodal. "It was my family's heirloom. It was really expensive."
Andrew looked at Goodal.
He was wearing the school uniform. His hair was very neat and he looked very handsome. His handkerchief was folded neatly in his chest pocket,
"Where is your bag?" asked Andrew.
"It's in my chair."
He pointed at his chair. It was on the second column from the right side of the teacher's desk. On the rightmost side were large windows that occupied a lot of the walls. Beyond the windows was a corridor that lay in front of the Chemistry laboratory.
"Where in the bag did you keep the ring?"
"In this pocket which I left open."
Andrew was silent.
"Are there any witnesses?" he asked.
"I knew who did it Mr. Faraday." said a girl.
"And who might you be?"
The girl went in front of the room.
"I am Jean Evans."
She was wearing her school uniform. Her ID was filled with all sorts of accessories from knots to key chains to a level-up card.
"It was Rook who took it."
Rook, who was a little young man wearing his shabby uniform, stood up.
"Why me?"
Jean started to explain.
"I was the second last to leave the room. It was Rook who was last so only he could have left the door unlocked.
"15 minutes after we arrived in the laboratory, he came out. Two minutes after that, I myself went out. I saw that the door in the room was ajar from the window.
"When we came back, it was closed again. I was the first to enter and I saw that the door was unlocked. A few minutes later Robert realized that his ring was missing."
Andrew observed her. Then he observed Rook.
"Tell me Miss Evans, what is that in your pocket?"
Jean took something from her pocket.
"It's just the wrapper of the chewing gum I had earlier. No need to get suspicious."
"Mr. Rook, what's that tucked inside your shoe?"
Rook looked down.
"Oh, it's just tissue paper. I went to the bathroom because my stomach wasn't well."
Andrew looked around. He looked at the door.
He saw a few drops of water on the floor.
He touched and smelled it.
"Soap..." he muttered.
He went around the room and into the corridor between it and the laboratory.
He saw there a small stone and a bamboo pole.
He took the stone.
He went back inside the room.
"Now, one more question. Miss Evans, do you like Online Games, particularly Dota?"
Jean looked at him, bewildered.
"Why would you ask something like that?"
"Just answer it."
"Well, if you have to know, I hate it. I don't get the point of playing it."
"Okay then, I know who did it."
John smiled. He too understood it. This was an easy case.
"It was none other than you Miss Evans."
Jean looked with shock.
"Me?"
"Yes, You. Let me explain how you did it.
"First, you bought a chewing gum. You chewed it before you went to the laboratory. You said that you were second last. You inserted the wrapper in the door's socket so even if Mr. Rook locked it, it will still be open. To be sure, you borrowed a level up card which you would slide between the door in case the wrapper jammed. I will explain another purpose of the card later.
"You knew Mr. Rook had stomach problems so you framed him. When he went out, you followed. You took your gum," Andrew took the stone from his pocket. It was gum. "Stuck it on a bamboo pole's end, passed it through the widow and made the ring stick to it.
"You then went into the girl’s bathroom and washed your hands. Seeing an even more effective way of framing Mr. Rook, you added a few drips of the water from your wet hands outside the door. It was your bad because I know the boys' Bathroom does not have any soap.
"Finally, when you came back, you said you were the first to enter the room. That enabled you to remove the wrapper, which was now crumpled. Why do you think the wrapper had a gapping hole?
"I think I know your motivation too. You are in love with Mr. Goodal here so you seeked his attention. You tried getting it by showing something that was related to his hobby, like online games. But that didn't work so you thought of stealing his ring. Am I right Miss Evans?"
Jean looked down.
"All I wanted was your attention! Even that you didn't give me." she shouted to Goodal.
Jean..."muttered Goodal.
"Case closed!" exclaimed John.
"Our work here is done." said Andrew. Then they went out to drink tea again.

© Copyright 2006 K.A.David (k.a.david at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1180451-The-Missing-Ring