*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1180607-Fall-Shopping
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #1180607
Flash Fiction, for contest. Silly little animals
Fall Shopping



“Oh my Goodness!” Sally shivered. “It’s almost dark and Tommy’s not back yet. I hope he’s alright.” Sally was frightened; Tommy had been gone a long time, nearly four hours since he had ventured into the “territory”.

At first Sally had just paced nervously back and forth, never really giving voice to thoughts that something was wrong, but time stretched on and on, seemingly endlessly. When the Jones children began playing loudly in their yard she finally snapped, running outside and scolding them unmercifully. When they just pointed and giggled at her antics, she stormed back into her house in disgust.

“Damn children anyway!” She fumed. “We should have moved as soon as we saw that moving truck in their driveway!” The Jones children even had a dog, true it was only one of those little floor mop type of dogs, a Lhaso Ahpso or something like that, she was told. Every morning, Mrs. Jones would open her kitchen door and the little monster would immediately run out and make a beeline straight for their house. Sally was getting sick and tired of having her morning sleep interrupted by that yappy bark of his. Of course the little dust mop was nothing like the dangers that awaited Tommy where he was, there were much bigger and faster dogs, as well as other predators.

It was nearly winter, the days were getting shorter and shorter. Tommy decided it was time to get their badly needed winter supplies now. Sally had pleaded forcefully, but to no avail. “Don’t worry, Love,” he had whispered in her ear, “I’ll just pop over to the stores for a bit, make sure everything is secure, then right back. If you’re sweet while I’m gone, I may even bring you back a nice treat.” That was hours ago.

After what must have been her one thousandth time looking out the doorway, Sally heard, “Hi ho, Love! I’m back! Got some nice nuts and seeds for us too. Did ya miss me?”

Sally’s heart swelled with joy as she ran out and covered her husband’s furry little face with dozens of squirrely kisses, chittering happily.
© Copyright 2006 E E Coder (ecoder at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1180607-Fall-Shopping