*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1185333-Getting-Ready
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Comedy · #1185333
Flash for contest, What does Santa do the rest of the year?
Getting Ready


“Confound it, Rodney,” the normally jolly man roared into the intercom. “We had a heck of a lot of trouble in the Middle East last year, so let’s make sure that we have the missile deflectors working properly this time!”

“Yes sir,” the voice crackled back through the speaker, “McAngel is checking that system out right now.”

“Well, he daggone well better be!” Looking thoughtful as he clicked off the intercom, Kris returned to his paperwork. “Good man, that McAngel,” he mumbled to himself, “maybe things will be smoother this year.”

Kris usually loved this time of the year and especially looked forward to the big trip in December, but everything frazzled his nerves until the big day came. The year round paperwork was tedious, especially the checking it twice part, but it was all worth it to make the trip. “I’m starting to feel my age lately,” he grumbled, carefully taking off his glasses and rubbing his eyes. “I better make an appointment with the optometrist tomorrow. Its getting harder to read these lists lately.”

Meanwhile; Rodney, the diminutive day shift supervisor, was intently peering over Melvin McAngel’s shoulder as he made adjustments to the undercarriage of Kris’ vehicle. “Well? How does it look?” He asked, checking his watch. “Everything checking out okay now?”

Melvin hated being rushed almost as much as he hated this outlandish uniform he was forced to wear, especially the curly toed shoes. Carefully wiping his hands on an old red sack, he finally turned with a smile and said. “Yeah, I think it will be okay, all systems seem to be functioning.”

“YOU THINK? You think that it will be okay?” Shaking his head, Rodney paced back and forth in front of the garishly bright vehicle, wringing his hands. “Confound it, McAngel, we can’t just THINK that it will be okay. We have to KNOW it will be okay! The Big Guy has been on my back all week!”

“Relax Rodney,” Melvin soothed, “yes, I’m SURE it will be okay. All systems checked out fully.”

“It better be,” Rodney warned, “Not only our jobs, but Big Guy’s safety are at stake here!”

“No problem my man,” Melvin patted Rodney on the back, “if you want, I’ll take the rig out this afternoon and run it through a few tests for confirmation.”

“Okay, yeah you do that.” Rodney started to walk away before turning back, “Take the back up team though, it’s getting too close to trip time to tire out the main one.”

“All right chief,” Melvin shrugged his shoulders, “it is kind of foggy out though, do you think I could at least use Rudy?”

“No way,” Rodney shuddered, “good grief man, that’s all we would need. If something were to happen to Rudy this close to the trip, the Big Guy would have our heads!”

“Right you are, chief,” Melvin sighed, “I’ll leave Rudy and just be extra careful.”

“Good, you do that,” Rodney finally allowed himself a small smile. “Extra, extra careful, got it?”


505 words
© Copyright 2006 E E Coder (ecoder at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1185333-Getting-Ready