*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1185658-Ch-1-Atra-Luna
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Fantasy · #1185658
Lorelei's tragic life gets worse when she meets a strange boy who knows why she's badluck
              “Well, here we are, Strickland High Boarding School. It’ll feel like home in no time at all.” She grinned, her rosy cheeks getting redder. At least she was trying. I glanced up at the huge structure. All it was missing was a barb-wire electric fence and it could easily pass off as a high security prison. There was no way I was going to like it here, no way at all. Thank goodness I wasn’t I going to stay for long. I’ve never stayed in one place for long. Four orphanages, five foster care homes and I’ve been adopted three times all in seventeen years. Tragedy after tragedy. It’s my never fault though, and that makes it all the worse. The last orphanage rushed me out before anything could happen, before my bad luck descended on the place. The owner obviously fed this lady, Ms. Robinson I think, some sob story about me. Probably saying about all the physiatrists I’ve seen and my history of homes. Her heart was filled with so much pity she adopted me. Hah, like I need pity. I don’t feel anything anymore because I’ve learned to block out all feelings. Why bother? It only hurts you in the end. I’ve learned that a long time ago. “Oh Lorelei, you’ll like it here. Just give it some time.” Ms. Robinson’s cheerful face was now filled with concern. I have to admit, I didn’t look very enthusiastic.

         “You’re probably right Ms. Robinson.” I answered, forcing a smile. It obviously fooled her. Her faced suddenly returned to its cheerful disposition.

         “Oh, call me mom or Stacy at least. We’re family now, remember?” She was definitely trying. I just faked another smile.

         “Whatever you say Stacy.” Stacy was enough. Mom just didn’t sound right. Anyway, who wanted their mom to be principal of a boarding school? Well, it was just one more thing I wouldn’t miss when something happened to this place. I stepped out of the car and pulled my suitcase from the trunk. Everything I owned fit into a single bag. Sad, I know. Ms. Robinson looked at me, waiting.

         “Is that it?” she asked. I just nodded. “No matter, we’ll go to the mall this weekend. Won’t that be fun! We’ll be able to get to know each other better. Oh, I just can’t wait!” She continued talking; making plans and saying what stores we would visit as she led the way inside. I quietly followed. The place was a mansion! Never would I have believed there was this much glamour hiding inside. A huge glistening chandelier hung from the ceiling overhead a circular desk in the center. The lady behind the desk stood up and walked towards with a huge grin. Her face was covered in makeup. Light blue eye shadow, mascara and deep red lipstick. My eyes hurt just from looking. Her hair looked bleach blond while her eyebrows were black. She dyed it, no doubt. No matter how shocking her appearance was it couldn’t distract me from gazing around the room. On the sides were two mahogany stair cases spiraling up towards the immensely high ceiling that was painted like Da Vinci’s angels in the cathedral. It was an echo room but I wasn’t about to test my theory with all these people here. Beyond the desk was a huge golden door that almost reached the ceiling. Along the sides were smaller doors, all identical to the giant one.

         “You like it huh? It’s pretty extravagant and so beautiful. I’m Mrs. Swartz but you can call me Laura.”  I looked at the blond haired lady only then realizing that I was frozen in place staring at the room. I nodded my head, unwillingly diverting my gaze to Laura. She welcomed me warmly and gave me an envelope filled with everything I would need for school tomorrow. Then Ms. Robinson, or Stacy, led me up the winding stairs to my dorm room. I was pleased to know that I didn’t have a roommate. I wouldn’t have to try to bore myself with small talk. That would come tomorrow. Tonight I could just sulk and go over the papers in the envelope so I would have some kind of idea as to what I would do in the morning. I said goodnight to Stacy and went inside. The room was small and cozy to say the least. I got everything prepared for tomorrow and went to bed. I didn’t unpack my suitcase though, I would be going back to the orphanage soon enough. Just like every other time.
© Copyright 2006 inksketcher (inksketcher at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1185658-Ch-1-Atra-Luna