*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1186535-Tolerance
Rated: 13+ · Article · Philosophy · #1186535
My thoughts on diversity and understanding.
It begs an understanding of each other. "It" being the amazing diversity of mind, color, opinion, sexual proclivity, religious ideation and culture to name but a few things. To truly understand another's journey we must literally and figuratively "walk a mile in his shoes", as well as sleep in his bed, eat at his table, worship at his chosen alter, hold his children, wash his dog and immerse ourselves in the tears and joy of his existence. We must become him, or her, for the length of time it takes to truly see and feel him.

It is not enough to read of his or her life experiences. Every person has a story. To hear it may evoke short-lived zeal, but this tends to fade with time and distance. Right and wrong shifts dramatically with expanded perception. First hand experience affects a long-term paradigm shift.

We gravitate to people with like opinions, beliefs, religions and ways of expression. This approach may appear on the surface pragmatic and satisfying, but it sets us up for conformity of spirit and loss of imagination, and more importantly, inspiration. We long for connection and from this need comes our greatest challenge and our greatest reward. If we can allow ourselves the freedom to face our fears of disconnection and walk (or sometimes run) through them, we free ourselves up to experience and relish all manner of human diversity, from religious to cultural and from spiritual to sexual. In this manner we can truly transform the world.
© Copyright 2006 Puckit33 (puckit33 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1186535-Tolerance