*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1187227-Its-A-Matter-Of-Perspective
Rated: E · Editorial · Community · #1187227
An idea on humanity and immigration.
I think alot of people are looking at immigration from a skewed perspective. A selfish perspective. I read about people saying that from an economic perspective the illegal immigrant population, when all is said and done, CONTRIBUTES 800 billion dollars to the U.S. economy. I have read about people saying that illegal immigrants COST each family $1000 a year. Alot of people say that that's the point. Others say that National Security, or the catch-all War On Terrorism is the point. The reason we have to "control our borders" (like any of us actually own them). I say that immigration is not the "problem". Neither is terrorism, or war in general. I say that these are merely symptoms of a much deeper condition of dis-ease, not just in this country, but everywhere. Any time a government would make laws to provide happiness (read: basic necessities, a better life, etc. ) for a specific group of people by denying the same to another group of people, something is amiss. This world has more than enough resources to provide for everyone the basic necessities and allow every single person on the planet to live with dignity and honor. This would require people to share. Not hoard. Not amass wealth so great that it becomes irrelevant. The "problem" as I see it, is a matter of perspective. If people could just see and understand that we are all the same, the world could change overnight. Let's take it one step farther: If people could see that we are not only all the same, that we desire the same things, but that we are truly of the same flesh, truly all one, then doing unto others takes on new meaning.
© Copyright 2006 Puckit33 (puckit33 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1187227-Its-A-Matter-Of-Perspective