*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1186828-Untitled---Random-Section-1
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Fantasy · #1186828
Section of the story where main character, Elsren, sets out to hatch Aelsha, the dragon.
"Elsren, you've got to hatch the egg. THere are only two days left before the longest night of the year." Teia had been after himfor days trying to get him to hatch the baby dragon out of its egg.
"I don't see why the dragon can't hatch itself out of the egg. Creatures in the wild do it all the time." Elsren protested.
"You know why, El. Your magic must soften the sshell and let it know when to emerge. You must blend your magics or after it hatcheds, it will be feral."
/Blasted dragon!/ Elsren thought. /Can't even hatch itself out of its own egg./
/I heard that!/ Teia's voice sounded angrily in his head. /Remember to sheld your thoughts if you don't want the whole of Imrak to hear them./ she smirked at the boy and walked off.
"Prissy girl," Elsren grumbled. "Thinks she knows everything. I'll show her. Come here you toublesome rock." He said a command word and the egg floated into his outstretched hand. We'll go hatch you out right now." he stalked off in teh direction of his tree.

Back in his rooms, he pulled a scroll from teh bookshelf, unrolled it onto his worktable, and set the egg next to it. Then he gathered thethings he would need for teh spell. After putting water on to boil, he sat down to read through the spell.
When the water had reached a boil, Elsren added the ingredients. He hesitated before dropping the ege into the potion. What if it died? Would it drown? No, it couldn't drown. Had he done everything right? Stealing himself, he dropped the egg into the water, hearing it make a dull /thunk/ on the iron bottom of the cauldron.
He began the spell, adding herbs as he went through the verses. Last, he threw in a leaf of vervain, the seeing herb. Then he snaked a thread of magic into the potion and surrounded the egg with it. He broke the thread, held his breath, and plunged his hands into the boiling liquid. Pain ripped through him making him feel as though his hands were on fire. Biting back a yell of pain, he grasped the egg. The potion reached up to his elbows. He continued to chant the spell, pain makng his voice a raspy whisper.
As he bagan the las verse, Elsren felt himself fading. He thought he was going to pass out. Instead, when he left consciousness, he was sucked into a dark, confined place. His thoughts were no longer only his and he couldn't sheld his mind. There were another's thoughts in his head as well and a tiny heartbeat thudded in teh darkness around him. A high-pitched trill adn a stream of foggy images flooded his mind. He saw the sky in vividly bright colors from a dragon's eye view. Then, the deep underground of beneath a mountain. He could smell the damp musty scent of when stone. He felt a warmth deep in teh dragon's belly that no mortal could hold. He was in the mind of Aelsha.
"Elsren, friend of Elves," a deep musical voice filled him, so beautiful, it hurt his ears.
"Protect, her, love her, use her gifts for good. Honor and respect her and she will do all for you mortally possible. You are the Peacebringer; The Chosen One. Do well by yourself and her and you will not fail at the task you have been set. Your title of the ages shall be Adelmo. You are the protector. You must not fail. Go with peace and bravery in your heart and actions, Elsren-Adelmo."
The voice of the Divine Goddess faded, leaving a dull ringing in Elsren's ears. He again became aware of the pain in his arms. Holding back cries of pain made tears stream from his eyes. Slowly his vision returned and he withdrew the egg from the cauldron. He warpped the slimy thing in a nearby tunic adn set it on the table. Now he would have to wait while the potion congealed into a salve he would put on his blistering urns and the baby dragon when it hatched later that night.
© Copyright 2006 Charlotte (ramblingrogue at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1186828-Untitled---Random-Section-1