*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1252801-Soul-Mates
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1252801
Twist on early Genesis/fall of man - finished/edited
Soul Mates

___In the beginning, there was Earth and the whole of it was covered in a garden, which was called Eden, and great waters, which were the oceans.
___In the beginning, there was a being. It was human-like with thought and reasoning but more unusual looking. It had a body which was human and limbs which were human, but rather than one head, it had two - which were also human. Instead of one wispy, undefined soul, each being had a glowing, powerful, almost solid soul within it. All the animals that roamed the earth were also like this: one body, two heads, and one magnificent soul. There was no male or female, the two were simply one being: solitary, yet never alone or lacking in love. And the people were happy. They obeyed The Creator and led their simple lives according to His wishes.
___The people spent their days in the garden, eating of its delicious fruit and wandering through its beautiful woods. The people made idle conversation as they wandered the footpaths and enjoyed the splendors of the garden and the happiness of each other's company. For the two halves of each person were soul mates, born together, living together, and after many, many yearas, dying together. It was one of the greatest gifts from The Creator that the soul was born whole in one being created from two halves. And so it was that for thousands of years, these extraordinary beings walked the earth, living in harmony and happiness with each other.
___One morning, as a golden day dawned in the garden, a being whose halves were called William and Tahra could be seen walking through Eden. Hands clasped behind their back, William and Tahra followed a footpath leading to the center of the garden. The Tree of Life and Knowledge was at the very center of Eden and the people were forbidden to eat of its fruit or make use of its twigs and leaves until such a time when The Creator saw fit. A creature of pure evil had already disobeyed The Creator and was punished for it. In his bitterness and anger he struck out against the people. As William and Tahra sat in the shade of a tree outside the roots of the great tree eating wild fruit, the evil creature came upon them. It was hideous in their eyes with only one head and no partner. They found that they could not sense his soul for it had become simply a ghost of what it once was. And yet the creature slithered towards them, hypnotizing them with his brilliant red eyes as it raised off its belly and swayed before them. And then the beast began to tell them of the Tree of Life and Knowledge and the fruit it yielded. The serpentine creature told of how it had eaten of the fruit, made a home of the twigs, and used the leaves as herbs. It spoke of enlightenment and true sight and the wonders of the products of the tree.
___"The fruit is delicious," it claimed.
___But William replied, "The Creator has forbidden us to eat of the fruit of the Tree of Life and Knowledge. We shall not eat of the great tree's produce."
___The serpentine creature tried again, hissing "The twigs keep out all of the waters which fall from the heavens. My house built of them keeps me dry and warm. They are a strong protector against the predators of the garden."
___Tahra replied without hesitation, "The Creator has forbidden us to make use of the branches of the great tree. We shall not pull them from their root."
___Once more the beast tried, telling them of the many uses for the leaves of the great tree, but again, they obeyed The Creator and did not tear the leaves from their stems. But still the wicked creature persisted.
___"The flesh of the fruit is tender and its juices are sweet. The twigs are strong yet supple with the tree's knowledge. The secret of enlightenment runs heavily through the veins of the leaves. What is forbidden to you should not be placed so temptingly before you." And their faith began to fail. "The Creator is merely tempting you. I truly have the better life for I can see clearly good and evil. I have been enlightened and know all the knowledge of the world."
___William and Tahra were tempted and each convinced the other to take the fruit. They each plucked a bright red orb from the tree. It tingled in their palms and felt cool against their flesh. And yet still they restrained from tasting the forbidden produce of the great tree.
___"It has the most pleasant flavor. You will never be hungry again. Its juices are sweet and strong. You will be thirsty no more. You will be free-thinking and question life no more."
___As these last words slid from the foul mouth, William and Tahra, sharing each other's persuasive thoughts, brought the fruit to their lips and bit, tearing the flesh, letting the juices boil forth. As they ate of the forbidden fruit, their eyes were opened to creation. They gathered the great tree's fallen crop and took it to the other people of Eden. And they feasted on the fruit and their eyes were opened.
___The next morning, The creator came to visit His people and saw that they were bloated from feasting and wary of Him because of their opened eyes. When He questioned the peoeple, they told of William and Tahra's discovery of the delicious fruit. Then The Creator questioned William and Tahra and they confessed of being tempted by the serpent and tasting the fruit of the great tree.
___The Creator was angry and resolved to punish the people and the beasts that roamed the garden who were influenced by the people. He tore the two halves of the people and beasts apart, at the sould and in their flesh and blood bodies, and made them different. Each was a whole being and yet only half of the original - incomplete. They were made to roam the garden forever searching for the companion to their soul.
___For a time, the people were repentant and renewed their faith in The Creator. They followed and obeyed Him and made offerings to Him. But after awhile, the people grew complacent in their love and dgrew distant from The Creator. They became unhappy as they quarreled over each other and The Creator became sad. To make teir search more difficult and to distract them from their bickering, He broke the once beautiful garden into pieces and divided them among the great waters that were the oceans. Then He gave them direction, teaching them to love Him first, for He was the reason for their existence. Next they were to love each other adn make peace among themselves. While ending the turmoil in the land, they were to search for their long lost companions and bcome one again, and prosper. Lastly, the people were to pass on the history and keep it alive in their lives. They were to pass on the story of their fall from the Garden Eden to their offspring and create peace and love amonst themselves and alll present and future manking. Yet He reminded them, they were to always search for their lost companion in order to continue spreading the love of the broken garden.
* * *
___"And that is why mankind is forever searching for their soul mates," the boy siad. He pulled the girl close and held her tight, resting his cheek on the top of her head. "Each person has a flimsy little soul in them, all tattered and broken. When they find their soul mate, it's like two pieces of a puzzle coming together."
___"But why did the creator split them apart?"
___"He took away the one thing that meant most to them; their influence; their only love."
___"Do you think we're soul mates?" the girl asked after a moment.
___The boy pulled away and looked int oher eyes; how clear and blue they were.
___"Yes," he said, "I believe we are. Our souls fit together perfectly."
© Copyright 2007 Charlotte (ramblingrogue at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1252801-Soul-Mates