*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1189879-Ch3-The-Protector
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1189879
Previously part of Ch.2 I have now made this Ch.3 with some changes. Enjoy!
         I awoke the next day, pondering the strange dream I’d had during the night. Ketsueki, the vampire, had been in it, as well as many other fascinating people.

         Mamoru entered the room. Once he noticed that I was awake he came over to me. “How are you doing now? Any better?" he asked, his voice kind.

         “Yes, very much so! Thank you so much for taking care of me and helping me before.”

         "You're most welcome, I would not have been able to help you, had it not been Kiera's will. Now, would you like something to eat before we are on our way?"

         "Huh? We're going somewhere? And what did you mean by 'Kiera's will', if you don't mind me asking?" I had no clue what he was talking about.

         Kara whom I hadn’t noticed in the room, giggled at my comment. "Silly Sentaku," she murmured, sitting down next to me while smoothing her skirt underneath her legs. "Kiera will only help those she is willing to help," she wagged a finger at me as she continued to talk, "she will not help anyone who is evil and do stuff for their own selfish gain! Mamoru helped you using Kiera's spell of will. Had she not believed you to be a good person, worthy of her, she would not have saved your life at all."

         "Huh, spell?" I asked, pushing myself up slowly with my left arm, testing my strength. "Is that like magic?" I arched an eyebrow at her.

         "No way!" Kara cried, "We're nothing like those 'magic' using barbarians. How could you even think to accuse Mamoru of something so vile!"

         Mamoru gave his sister a stern look, giving me the impression that they'd had this same argument before. "Hush, Kara. They are not barbarians, they are simply misled. Sentaku, Chosen One, magic is a bit different from what we, of Kiera, use. Spells only work when Kiera deems fit. Remember when I healed you earlier?” I nodded. “Well, that was a spell. Magic, however, works whenever the user wishes, though an innate ability is required. Magic is also the power of the god Rohan, who rules the northern kingdom of Scitaroh. Recently, they have come into a new mortal ruler, who goes by the name of Coran. He is said to be a ruthless killer, who, though he prefers weapons, is highly skilled in magic."

         "He has declared war against all demons, for they pillage and plunder the lands in the southern region of his kingdom. I doubt he alone has the ability to defeat Lucifer, and that is where you come in, Chosen One. You have the power to help drive off those grotesque demons, those who enslave us for their own personal enjoyment. We must journey to Scitaroh and ask Coran to aid us in your training. He is a master of all worldly weapons, and I'm sure he could be of great help to you."

         I stared at him, a little shocked at all of this information. I knew there was no way to talk myself out of this now. "Um, but didn't you just say he's a ruthless killer and all that? He sounds like he's as bad as the demons to me..."

         "No need to worry, he is a just and lawful man, generous to those of the gods and goddesses, for he is Rohan's Chosen One. He only kills demons, whom he protects his people from with his very life."

         "Wow, sounds like you respect him a lot..." I commented, detecting a hint of admiration in Mamoru's voice.

         "I most certainly do, Chosen One. I met him for the first time on one of my many travels. The few drawbacks he has is his immensely short temper and his worship of the god Rohan," Mamoru stated matter of factly.

         "Now, Kara, please pack up everything we'll be needing on our voyage. Chosen One, can you please assist her? I'll be readying the horses," he said, looking a bit tired as he exited the cabin, leaving the two of us by ourselves.

         "Yes! Now we're finally alone! There's been something I wanted to ask you for a while. What did that vampire you met up with look like? Was he really attractive? I've heard that almost all vampires are astoundingly beautiful," Kara looked at me, her eyes eager for information.

         "Uh, what vampire? Who're you talking about?" I raised my eyebrows, unable to remember.

         "Why, the one in Kiera's temple of course!"

         "Oh, him? That guy?” I asked, remembering the dream I’d had. “I guess that's why his name meant blood, how ironic," I said sarcastically, thinking of how annoying the man had been. More seriously, I continued on, “Yeah, I guess he was alright, nothing special though..." I muttered the last, not knowing why I was so irritated at Kara for asking about him, maybe because of the dream...

         "Oh, wow, how exciting! I wish I could have seen him just once. I could probably just live off the sight of him!" Kara exclaimed, squealing. Her cheeks were rosy as she started packing up bundles of clothes and food. She gave me two sacks as she said, "Here, put some of that grain in that sack, and some meah in this one."

         "Meah?"

         "Yeah, the deer jerky, over there," she pointed toward some brown looking meat sitting upon a shelf.

         Eww... deer, the one meat I will never eat. A few years back, my mom had tricked me into eating some deer meat, saying it was just a hamburger. Once I had eaten it, she revealed to me that it was deer, causing me to continuously stuff mints into my mouth afterward. I never ate my mom's hamburgers again after that.

         "Sure." I replied, then stood and walked over to the shelf, beginning to scoop the meat into the bag, still contemplating the odd dream I’d had. The woman in the dream had mentioned my name, but I couldn‘t remember what she had said about me. Done with reflecting on the dream, I finished packing the meah, then proceeded to where the grain lay, shoving handful by handful into the other sack that was in my possession.

         After we fulfilled the task of packing everything, I grabbed Kiera's sword--though, I admit, I almost forgot about it--and followed Kara through the door of the cabin, out into the open air. The scene that lay before me took my breath away. Pale blue skies with a hint of purple surrounded the land, while the sun shone a fiery red orange in the vast luminescent background. Green yellow grass covered the ground, waving gently as it was caressed by the subtle wind. Flowers decorated that grass, in colors such as blue, pink, yellow, orange, red, and any other color you could imagine. It almost seemed unreal, too beautiful a sight. Birds adorned the trees, singing their love for life, for freedom, as other small animals scurried about. I had never set eyes on any place so beautiful. Was all of Rencarou like this?

         "Sentaku, follow me. Mamoru's waiting," Kara told me as she went around the back of the cabin, disappearing from sight.

         Hurriedly, I followed her, still taking in all the beauty of this wondrous ethereal land. When I caught up with Kara I found myself in a small barn, as old and dusty as the cabin's interior had been. Three horses stood there, silently grazing on some hay which laid upon the dirt ground. Mamoru, who had been brushing down the horses, quickly proceeded in placing the bundles of food, clothes, and other necessities into compact packs placed atop the horses lower backs.

         "I hope you packed everything you needed Kara, for we'll not be back here for a very long time," Mamoru said as he looked at Kara intently, as if expecting her to have forgotten something,

         "I know, I know, I got everything we need, I'm sure of it. But if we do need anything else on the way, we can always buy it, we've brought plenty enough Kane," Kara replied.

         "Cane, is that the currency here? Is it something like gold...?" I asked hesitantly, guessing.

         "Kay-n-ee," he sounded out the word for me. "What is this 'Currency' you speak of? And of course it's gold, it's what we use to trade for goods, " informed Mamoru, looking at me intently.

         “Err, sorry. You know I’m not a native of Rencarou, right?” I asked; I had thought he’d known.

         “Oh, yes, forgive me. I completely forgot.” He blushed, “Embarrassingly, I was eavesdropping on your and Ketsueki’s conversation that day…”

         “That’s okay, I do that all the time,” I said, laughing a little; I was happy I didn’t have to explain it to him.

         "Now, we'd best be off," he swung himself up into the saddle of a horse, patting the horse's head gently as he did so, soothing it.

         Kara did likewise. I stood there, feeling like a complete fool for not knowing how to even get on a horse, let alone ride one.

         Once Mamoru noticed me still standing there, he quickly dismounted. “You do not know how to mount a horse?" I shook my head, slightly flustered. He looked at me in puzzlement, "I guess we'll have to teach you how to ride a horse later on then; but, for now, I'll let you ride with me. We can pull the other horse along with us until you are able to ride her yourself. Come here, Chosen One."

         Kara tittered. I glanced at her, slightly irritated that she was laughing at me, just for not knowing how to ride a horse.

         I made my way over to Mamoru. He grabbed me, just above my hips, and lifted me on top of the horse. He mounted behind me immediately, making a small clicking sound with his tongue, which seemed to signal the horses to move. Startled, I nearly fell off. Had it not been for Mamoru's arms steadying me I would have fallen flat on the ground, even though I did not have the horror of falling off, I still felt my cheeks warm in embarrassment. Mamoru smiled at me, trying to give me a little comfort in this strange situation.

         "Please, do not worry, Chosen One, I will not allow you to fall. And be assured, you will soon be able to ride a horse superbly, I hear Coran is a master at teaching riding..."

         "Thanks, Mamoru," I craned my neck back, looking up at him behind me, “and please, don't call me, 'Chosen One'. It's kind of embarrassing, just call me Sentaku, all right?" I smiled, feeling a bit better.

         He frowned a little at that, “Forgive me, Chose- I mean, Sentaku... It is simply habit. We are heading to Rouge now, when we get there we shall be boarding a ship, for Scitaroh is across the Logen Ocean."

         "Ah, okay. But just to let you know... I've never been on a boat before, so I may get seasick..." my face flushed once again in embarrassment.

         "Ship," Mamoru corrected me, “and it is alright, it will be Kara's first time too."

         Kara winked at me as we slowly made our way out of the barn, and began down the sandy pathway.

         "So, Sentaku, tell me about your world! Mamoru told me you came from somewhere foreign. What's it like? Is it as beautiful as Kiera's Sanctuary?" Kara questioned me, her cheerful eyes gleaming with curiosity.

         "If Kiera's Sanctuary is this place, then no, it's not nearly as beautiful. We have many animals and plants just like here, but no vampires and no demons, well... at least not actual demons. Hmm, my world is a bit more technologically advanced I think... Unless ya'll have a place like that too?"

         Mamoru looked down at me, a look of understanding upon his peaceful face. “Ah, you mean technology such as computers and other gadgets of that kind? Yes, we have them, but only one kingdom is that advanced, and it is the kingdom of Sifiea, they do not trade nor are socially active with the other nations. They pretty much keep to themselves with the occasional exception or two. Their god is Trenu, the god of the mind. I do not yet know if their Chosen has been found yet... but I'm sure in time he will."

         "He? Aren't there any other girl Chosen's?" I was curious to meet these 'Chosen's'. What would they be like? Will they be cheerful and kind, or bloodthirsty and tormented? Will some of them be from other worlds like me? Or will they all be from here? I also wondered whether or not if all of them would be human.

         "There is only one other woman Chosen besides youself that I know of," pouted Kara, “I want there to be some more, they're much cooler than the guys!"

         Mamoru smiled a little at that last comment. “I’m sure all of them are 'cool' in their own ways, Kara."

         For some reason, this made me remember the dagger Ketsueki had had in his possession. “Hey, Mamoru? Do you know why Ketsueki was at that place the other day? He had some sort of dagger with him too, and said it was Oiera's...?"

         "Oh, him? He is one of the seven Chosen. His god is Oiera, Kiera's twin, and the ruler of the vampire nation, Bledevil. He has sided with the demons, for what reason I know not... Rumor has it that they have something he wants badly, and he'll do anything to get his hands on it. He is one of the most feared Vampires, even other vampires fear him. He is on the council of vampires, the rulers of Bledevil, and although it is supposed to be a shared power, he continues to direct everything from the shadows, or, so I have heard..." Mamoru dropped this subject, his voice fading to a stop.

         Just when I wanted to hear more too. Ketsueki... he really interested me. When I had met him, he had seemed like he was hiding something, but what? Could it really be that important?

         "Hey, what's your part in all of this anyway? Why did you help me that day in the garden...?" I questioned him, curious about the answer. Mamoru seemed like such a nice guy, it made me wonder what he was doing there that day, what had dragged him into this mess.

         "Ah...well, every Chosen has their own Protector, a person who guides and protects their gods Chosen from harm. I am yours. I felt your energy that day and went to meet up with you, but Ketsueki beat me there... It's a good thing he decided to play with you for a bit, else I wouldn't have made it in time," he grimaced, then gave me a reassuring smile when I looked at him in concern.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


         The sun in the morning sky slowly drooped down as we continued further, hours passing by. We reached Rouge at night fall, but from what I could see, it was nothing like Kiera's Sanctuary, nothing at all. It looked almost like a desert, strange plants could be seen trying to force their way up out of the hard, grainy sand ground. Barely a breeze graced our worn and wearied figures, it was as if the air here laid stale. No colors could be seen except for the gray tones in the stone buildings and the pale orange of the sand surrounding the barren strip of land. The only inhabitants seemed to be old drunkards lying along the alleyways, sipping what little booze they had left in their cups.

         "Ey, ey Lady, would ye be willin' ta' give an old man somethin' nice ta' et?" a grungy looking old man, who stank of alcohol and rancor, asked me as he tugged on my sleeve, grease working its way into the cloth. Speechless and disgusted, I could not think of a thing to do except gape at him in silent horror.

         Mamoru, perplexed by this event, quickly tore off half a loaf of some bread from within his pack, handing it to the man and bidding him to go. I watched, surprised at his charity, not expecting him to be this caring for others. Kara also stared, her brow furrowed in displeasure and her upper lip curled in disgust. "Mamoru, why did you give him that? He doesn't even deserve it!"

         Mamoru sighed. "Who says we even deserve it Kara? Besides, it was the only way to make him leave us in peace..."

         "I think that was an awesome thing to do," I said to him warmly, smiling. "I hadn't expected you to be... well, so generous," I looked down, ashamed that I myself hadn't wanted to give the old man anything. Mamoru smiled at me kindly, his eyes seeming to know my every thought.

         Kara huffed angrily and glared at me, her eyes flashing. Seeing this, I could not help but think to myself that she acted rather like a spoiled brat, but then scolded myself for thinking such a thing about someone who had aided me.

         Mamoru, unperturbed by his sisters actions, led us over to the almost empty dock, a rather grungy place. The smell of rotting fish, waste, and blood filled my nostrils, causing me to gag.

         Mamoru approached a rugged looking man standing near a gigantic ship. “Sir, how much is the fare to Scitaroh for the three of us, first class, and board for the horses?"

         The man looked us over, perhaps trying to judge how much money we had in our pockets. "Well, for ta' lot of ya, and ta' horses..." he said as he stroked his graying beard,"I'd say five hundred Kane, sound fair to ya?"

         "Sounds about right," Mamoru replied as he took five large plates of gold from the lime green pouch within his tunic, and exchanged it for two sets of keys. "Take these bags to our rooms please, and make sure nothing happens to them or us. Else I'll be taking it up with the Five, understand?" He looked the man square in the eyes, his gaze heated.

         The mans eyes widened and he bobbed his head briskly in comprehension, “Yes, Sir. I'll be right on it, and don't ya hesitate ta' call on me, the names Henry."

         "Thank you, Henry, that will be all for now."

         We hurried up the ramp onto the ship, and hesitantly I inquired about the Five Mamoru had mentioned to the seaman.

         "Well, they are the rulers of this land, Meina. I have sort of an inside connection with them. One of my friends is among the Five, so if I have any trouble I can pretty much bring it to him. Also, since I am a well respected spell caster of Kiera, I almost always gain council with them whence I wish it..." He trailed off.

         "Ah, okay thanks for explaining that... I guess," I was still a tad bit confused.
© Copyright 2006 Neko ♥ Away (ketsuekineko at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1189879-Ch3-The-Protector