*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1191591-More-Procrastination
Rated: · Other · Writing · #1191591
A description of my new novel
This next book has to actually be written well. The previous manuscripts have been thrown away. It was a big step and I hope it doesn't end up being the last step I take in literature. For years I kept the manuscripts around feeling that sense of accomplishment as they sat there threatening me.

How could old manuscripts threaten me? Simple. Should I ever die somebody would have to come clean out my apartment. Someone would be able to sit down and read them from beginning to end and I would be embarrassed in death. I know it's unlikely anyone would actually read them. But they could. And that nagging feeling is gone now. But so is the feeling of accomplishment. No more complete manuscripts to brag about to myself. I'm starting from scratch. A new book. I'd like to outline a bit of what it will entail.

Style: I would like it to be free of much of the descriptive quality new writers are always adding to their books. I'd like to save the bit of descriptive writing ability that I do have and actually put it to use in situations in the novel where I really need it. The rest of the time I'd like to reader to supply much of the details. Just how far I'm going to go with this is unknown. But the style is basically no style at all. Don't get me wrong. I don't want it to read like stereo instructions. I just don't want the reader to really be aware of me in the book. I don't want any descriptive sunsets to break the reader out of the book and have an image of a man sitting at his computer typing it all out. It's selfish to do that to a person that is kind enough to read your words. I want to keep a low profile as the author.

Content: Schizophrenia. A young man is mentally ill. He has yet to completely form in my mind.

Story: This is the weak part. I know I can fill up pages with what he's going through up in his head, but in life he is going to need action to keep the reader going from page to page. They won't be pleased with pages and pages of unending misery and torment without some character changes and story to follow. Although, like my old manuscripts, I will not be actually planning the book out in advance. This one has to be thought out as the words are being typed. And yes I will type the book. Despite this desire to keep the book fresh in my eyes by not knowing exactly what is going to happen I would still like to have some clue as to what is in store for him. Like maybe just one or two things to write towards and hopefully characters will pop up as he goes there forming their own story lines along with him.

Talent: I will somehow have to dig deep and pull out whatever remaining talent there is left in me. You know, I did the same thing with art as a child. I practiced on a regular basis and always thought my work was crap. Then I quit drawing pictures and now I can barely draw anything at all. I'm out of practice with writing in the same way I am out of practice with drawing.

Inspiration: Nabokov and Hemingway. But don't think I will be trying to write like either of them. Not really. I just may borrow a bit of Hemingway's simple sentences and Nabokov's... Let's face it I have no business borrowing anything from Nabokov. He's untouchable. Rather he is just simply an inspiration to write because he did it so well with content that you would otherwise never consider reading had it not been for his brilliant use of the English Language.

So that is all I have for today. Hopefully this character will begin to form in my mind. I have an image of him. I have his age. I can even see some of what he is wearing as he sits on the bus struggling with his paranoid delusions. I just honestly have no idea where he came from or where the bus is taking him. I can't wait to find out more.

Mike Hoy
© Copyright 2006 Diodorus (diodorus at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1191591-More-Procrastination