*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1193825-only-for-the-holiday
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Family · #1193825
Writer's Cramp: over the holidays, an argument about family
"We only see each other over the holidays. I don't see what's so wrong with that."

"Steven, don't do this. You know that is not what I meant." It was two weeks until Christmas and they had been arguing this same topic for the past couple of days. "They're your family, I think you should see them more often than the holidays. It's just I think that it's about time you told them."

Putting the silver bell wrapping paper down, Steven focused his attention on his boyfriend. "Jackson, do you really think I like it this way? Do you think I enjoy being in the closet, lying to my parents, and not being able to tell them about you?"

Moving over from the couch, Jackson tried to comfort Steven who was a little upset from dealing with the same topic. "Of course I don't think that." Placing his hand on Steven's right arm, he continued, "I am worried about you."

"You're worried about me? Why?"

"Because, each year you make one of your resolutions to come out to your parents." Jackson's hand moved from Steven's arm down to embrace his hand. "By Thanksgiving or so, you get depressed because you never manage to do it. I've known you a long time, first as a friend and now as a boyfriend, and for the past five years you've been doing this to yourself."

Steven sighed, "I know that I should tell them, I do. I'm just afraid."

"I know, I've been there."

The once calmed mood shattered as Steven jerked his hand away. "It's not the same. You're family was so understanding and accepting. You just don't know my family."

"Because you won't let me get to know your family. I've never met a single member of your family, and you rarely talk about any of them." Jackson snapped back, the conversation was going downhill quickly. To save from making things worse he got up and went into the bedroom. A few minutes later he returned with his gym bag and sneakers.

"What are you doing?"

Grabbing his keys, Jackson took a second before replying, "I'm going to the gym."

"Now?" Steven pushed himself up from the floor, stunned. He really needed Jackson to be there for him.

"I just need to get away, we both need some time to cool down. I don't want to fight with you over this again," Jackson replied as he headed for the door. Seeing the look on his boyfriend's face he paused, his hand on the door knob. "Don't worry, I'll be back in an hour."

"Are you sure you want to come back?" Steven dropped his eyes to the floor, unable to look at Jackson anymore.

Dropping everything, Jackson went over and directed Steven to their thrift store couch. "I'm more than sure. I love you."
© Copyright 2006 Dawn Embers (elfmage7 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1193825-only-for-the-holiday