*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1193978-Ch-2--Atra-Luna
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Supernatural · #1193978
Lorilei's tragic life gets worse when she meets a strange boy that knows why she's badluck
      The shadows were closing in on me. I had to run. I had to get away. I looked around but nothing was visible beyond the black shroud. There was nowhere to go and the darkness was creeping closer. My heart was pounding, my breath coming in short gasps. Then there was a light ahead pushing away the shadows. I was saved. I was safe…but not for long. I knew what was coming next. The bright light started to pulse, getting faster by the second. It started glowing brighter, but not with the peaceful white radiance that had saved me the moment before. Its color changed to a dreadful red; a sickening blood-red. I stood frozen, waiting for the inevitable. Suddenly, it exploded and I was surrounded by red flames, burning with rage. I couldn’t think straight, my mind at a standstill. The shadows and fire swarmed together, charging at me, getting ever faster. I could feel the flames’ scorching heat on my skin. I was trapped. Trapped like an animal. My whole body was trembling with fear. Then it hit me and I finally thought of the only thing I could do. I screamed.

      The scream carried on, into reality. I awoke in a cold sweat, shaking under the covers. I could feel the shocked expression on my face, my heart racing in my chest, and the fear still fresh in my mind. I tried to calm myself down, even out my breathing. It was a nightmare, just a nightmare. The same nightmare I’ve had every night before a disaster. The sun was shining, sunlight leaking through the window onto the foot of my bed. I glanced at the clock. It was 8:00. So, I had missed breakfast, not that it mattered. No one would notice I was missing. My first class started in half an hour but that was the least of my worries right now. This was the first time my nightmare came so early. Normally, it would start, earliest, two weeks after I’ve arrived at a new place. This would make it harder to keep my carefully cultivated façade of not looking like a freak and ending up at a mental institution. But, it wasn’t like something would happen today. Sometimes I’d have the nightmare for weeks before anything happened. Still, I couldn’t shake off the feeling of dread.

      Slowly, I got up and got dressed in my uniform; a white blouse with a gray woolen vest to go over it, a matching gray skirt, and knee-high white stockings. I looked in the mirror to see the reflection of someone I barely knew. Myself. My waving black hair fell below my shoulders, curving around my face making it seem rounder. I was pale and no amount of sunlight could change that that. My green eyes that should be vivid and lively were lifeless and dull, shadows underneath showing my lack of sleep. The uniform didn’t help change my zombie-like look. Worried and nervous, I grabbed the books and papers I needed and forced myself out the door. Today was bound to be a total wreck and knowing that something would happen in the coming future didn’t brighten my outlook of things.

    I kept walking forward, my head in the map given to me yesterday in the envelope. The place was like a labyrinth. I was lost and there was no one around to ask directions. I turned the corner, hoping to find some kind of sign that would tell me where I was. I was late; really late.

      “You lost?” said a low voice from behind me. I spun around and froze. Small chuckles filled the hall. A two boys and a girl were leaning against the wall. There was nothing particularly special about them but I couldn’t stop staring.

      My gaze was locked in the eyes of the guy that had spoken. His auburn hair was spiked and swirled as if it hadn’t been brushed; a look few can pull off correctly. Only a small scar across his cheek blemished his ghostly pale skin. I was tan compared to him. Compared to all of them! Not only did they all have their sickly pale skin in common, but they all had the same intense silver eyes that stood out against their complexion.

        A huge grin on his face made me start to wonder if I should answer or try to ignore him and walk away. I decided to walk away but when I tried to turn I found I couldn’t move. I couldn’t even speak!

      “I think she is Avice. Maybe we should help her find her way back.” said the girl as she started walking closer; sarcasm written all over her face. I would have been stupid to not think something was up. She gracefully strode over to me and examined my face, still keeping a couple feet distance. Her long red hair swayed as she walked. She was tall and skinny. Her features sharp, adding to her abnormal beauty.

        Come to think to think of it, all three of them were beautiful; drop-dead gorgeous actually. The last guy had blonde hair combed down to the side covering one of his eyes, a smirk on his face as he stared at me. A wave of uneasiness swept through me.

        “Oh come on Constance. Why don’t we have a little fun first? I’m sure she doesn’t have to go right this instance.” Avice smiled and started advancing.

          “I don’t know? Why don’t we ask her?” Constance said, never taking her eyes off of me. “Do you have to go?”

          I couldn’t believe I had a choice! I tried to say I did. I tried to scream yes but I couldn’t. Instead I felt myself move my head side to side. What was I doing? My one chance at freedom and I threw it away!

          “See, what did I tell you. She has time,” Avice chuckled. Now even the blond haired boy was walking towards me. They had me surrounded and I was being herded back towards the wall.

            The realization that something was going to happen to me finally came through. Fear swept over me and my heart started pounding.  My whole body trembled and I could feel my knees starting to give out.

          “Just look at how scared she is,” laughed Avice. “We should do this more often!”

          “Most definitely,” agreed Constance. How could they be having so much fun out of this? Were they the school bullies? Suddenly I noticed that all three of them were wearing a small silver pendant around their necks. Were they a gang?

            I reached the wall and sunk down to floor. I closed my eyes and hoped that they were bullies and not a gang. I would rather deal with a bully than a gang member any day.

          “Idiots, what are you doing!” a new voice boomed. My eyes flashed open and in front of me with arms spread open protectively a figure loomed.

          “Quo est gemma. Vestri acts es inconcessus! You’ll ruin everything!” he ordered.

          “Forbidden?!” the blond haired boy spat incredulously.

    ( A/N I know I ended this chapter a little short but I couldn't wait to upate and I was having a minor case of writers block.)
© Copyright 2006 inksketcher (inksketcher at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1193978-Ch-2--Atra-Luna