*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1195216-A-Visit-from-the-Grim-Reaper
Rated: E · Other · Comedy · #1195216
Very short comedy
A Visit from the Grim Reaper

Mrs. Smith had influenza, arthritis, osteoporosis, and macular degeneration. But that wouldn’t stop her from giving out candy on Halloween. The kiddies would come up in their costumes, she would shuffle up to the door, open it, smile broadly, compliment them on their costumes, and give them their candy. She loved it more than any other time of the year. It was one of the last things that made her happy.

It was getting later in the evening and the flow of kids was finally becoming more sparse. Mrs. Smith sat down on the couch and sighed. She was very tired, but it was worth it. Suddenly there was a knock on the door. Mrs. Smith considered not getting up, but then she noticed the large amount of candy still in her bowl. She smiled, knowing she really shouldn’t have it all to herself. So once again she stood up and opened the door.

A caped figure that must have been at least seven feet tall stood before her, scythe in hand. “My, you kids get bigger every year!” she said, smiling. “Well, what do you say?”

The figure pointed a long, bony figure at her. “You must be shy. Well, what would you like? I have Starburst, Rolos, Crunch…”

The figure again pointed its finger at her, more forcefully this time. But then its eye caught the candy in the bowl Mrs. Smith held out to it. For a moment it fought the temptation, but eventually reached its hand inside the bowl and grabbed a Starburst. “There,” Mrs. Smith said.

The figure quickly slipped the candy bar into its cloak, straightened its back and once again pointed a finger at her impatiently. “Okay, happy Halloween!” Mrs. Smith said and closed the door in the figure’s face.
© Copyright 2006 Dr. Madrigal (dr.madrigal at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1195216-A-Visit-from-the-Grim-Reaper