*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1195388-Oedipus-Rex-Part-4
Rated: 13+ · Script/Play · Tragedy · #1195388
Continuing the suffering of King Oedipus several thousand years later.
---------------------------------------------Oedipus Rex (Continued)---------------------------------------

“Life is short, live it up.”
- Kruchef

This is a continuation of Sophocles' Oedipus Rex, picking up where he left off. The scene opens with him stumbling blindly through bramble and bush moaning incessantly.


Chorus
A cursed man came to Thebes of his own accord,
Washed up by fate’s winds on destiny’s shore,
He came from Corinth, a man of high birth, one who would kill a beggar,
A giant of a man with a titan’s fate, one who’s weeping would be heard
forever,
The cold hard truth, the cruel cut of fate, the blinding allure of glory,
All who had loved him now begin to shun him, after hearing his story.

He slew the beast, the silver tongued sphinx, who spawned the city’s shroud,
Two deaths so close, one so right one so gross that it is not to be spoken
aloud,
Oh child of fate, why have you sought this estate? If you knew it would bring
you despair, to both you and to all of those who you do care.

From the archer’s bow the arrow hath flown,
And revealed the weakness of the one on the throne,
Into fiery ruin Oedipus did fall,
No longer cursed is his hall,
To the black void of oblivion the mind was drawn,
The throne now belongs to one who the times have wronged.

Oedipus, you were just and you were true, why did the gods do you harm?
Now that you have no sight, you can think all of your life,
Just as the seers that brought this prophesy to light,
But now you are forced to walk fate’s bow,
The cold dark wind and the calling of the Djini shall embrace you now!

Oedipus
[Oedipus collapses at a stone and begins to pray.]
Oh Zeus! Why hath Apollo’s cruel arrow of fate struck me down while in my height of glory? For what sick reason have the Olympian Gods most high planned my epic decay? For I was once a man of great pride yet now I wish nothing more on this day than to die. So send me a sign! A guiding act! In the darkness shine a light! So do this act! I beg of you! Preformed out of pity for the blind!
[He waits for a while and when no one responds he collapses and begins to weep]
Oh gods, hope is lost for me, for even my faith has retreated to the cold blackness of oblivion. I was doomed, doomed from birth, to walk such a path. I should have prepared myself for such terrible things to come. But I am wasting my breath with all of this. Oh Gods most high! You promise me, for you have now extracted your toll. I have paid my dues! Now grant me a favor! Something must be given back for what I have paid! My abominable offspring, spawn of the unholy union between a mother and her son, guide them so that they do not suffer the effects of my own fatal error. Help Creon, for the city of Thebes is now his to tend for. And send my words to the seer on silent winds so that he may tell of my plight and not let Thebes fall into ignorance even if it means that blasted fool Teiresias’ meddling. Now my heart is tainted and there is nothing that I can do to help them except die in the place intended by my parents. I have climbed to the hills where this fate could be avoided so many years ago and now I seek redemption. Let me die here and take the plague from the streets of Thebes, take the anger from those loyal to Lauis, and end the sorry of my prolonged existence. Oh barbaric decadent gods of above! Forgive Me! Forgive Them!
[Dramatic music as he stands up with his fists pointed at the heavens, the clouds begin to part, revealing the sun. Enter Hermit.]
Hermit
Tis’ a miracle indeed my friend, were you not praying for one?
Oedipus
Who’s that?
Hermit
Just an old man who has no place in this world, now answer my question; were you praying for a miracle?
Oedipus
What miracle do you speak of strange one?
Hermit
Yes, I see, your eyes have been completely removed in a most grisly manner. For what reason I will not ask, but you are missing a most glorious sunrise that occurred right after your rant at the gods.
Oedipus
There are no more miracles for me, the gods decided for my life to be an epic tragedy far before the event my birth was even set into motion.
Hermit
This fate of yours, it seems unjust at a glance. Tell me, are you a man of truth?
Oedipus
I have and always will be truthful, to myself and to others. That is why I am exiled from the city I once ruled. Because of my own oaths and loyalties.
Hermit
A former ruler? This cannot be, are you the son of Lauis?
Oedipus
Aye, his son, his killer and his usurper.
Hermit
Oedipus! Son of Lauis! You have come to me after being attacked by the Gods themselves. If you think that there is no possible way of reversing the evil planted in your heart than you are wrong.
Oedipus
There is no hope for me, the only way to end my worldly task is to die here as my parents intended.
Hermit
That is not the only way my lord. Tell me, does it seem just that you must suffer because the gods have nothing better to do than to ruin our lives with irreversible fates?
Oedipus
No it doesn’t, but how shall I stand against the Olympian Gods whose citadel is impregnable Mt. Olympus itself?
Hermit
There is a way to learn the secrets of the divine just as a seer would and in time you will rise in power to unlock powerful magic and even control fate itself.
This is truly a force to combat the Gods!
Oedipus
You’re mad!
Hermit
You’re mad to refuse an offer as grand as this!
Oedipus
Anything gained in this world for me will only be used to bring harm to others in the end.
Hermit
So, it is this world that you fear. I could take you to another, where you could regain your sight and live free of guilt and sin! A new reality!
Oedipus
Why are you so insistent!?
Hermit
You could have so much more! It is sorrowful to see you in this state.
Oedipus
This state is all that I have left and I wish to loose it as I die and relieve the world of my terrible presence! The gods will it to be so!
Hermit
Gods! What Gods!? Those sadistic beings that sit atop their mountain laughing at our plight as they twirl the fate of lesser beings to weave their own patterns that only serve to entertain them at our expense! And your “friends” in Thebes, why Creon feasts in your hall and sits upon your throne taking solace in the comparison between you and himself! Bah! They are nothing but defilers and infidels who sit within opulent walls and profit from your suffering. Do you know what your gods, friends, and morals truly are? Parasites, leeches upon your very soul!
Oedipus
I do not want to believe you, but I cannot help but feel moved by your words.
I will go with you, away from this place, if my troubles no not follow.
Hermit
Good, I just knew that you would see my logic eventually, now go to the realm of fire and learn what it means to be a god!
[Flares soar up all around Oedipus and his masks changes to one with a tear running down the check.]
Dijini Lord
Mortal king, you are one of the first of your kind to behold the realm of fire. Come so that I may lay my hands upon you.
Oedipus
I am prepared to serve you, for any power that you might grant me to escape my fate is truly a gift worth any price that you demand.
Dijini Lord
[Laughs] I am pleased with your enthusiasm mortal, let me restore you to what you once were and erase the memories of the bygone days that have caused you harm.
[The Dijini removes Oedipus’ mask and replaces it with one with eyes.]
Oedipus
Oh thank you my lord, I can now see this place in all of its beauty. My troubles are gone, I have no worries.
Dijini Lord
Though I have given you a great gift you still must pay the price.
Oedipus
Of course my lord, I am willing to serve you.
Dijini Lord
Ha! It will be more than mere servitude required to pay off the debt that you have gained here. No, to leave your past behind in my hands, would be to leave your soul in this realm of eternal flame, you may live a new life yes, but perhaps too different for you to ever cope with. The lords of this realm need your soul!
Oedipus
No, please, I beg of you, return me to whatever I once was trying to escape, just don’t imprison me here!
Dijini Lord
Mortal Fool! Do you not see the path that you have been taking this entire time?
Even here in the realm of fire, damnation is the road you walk, fate follows you here and entraps you in its swirling web to toy with your being.
Oedipus
This cannot be! How far must I travel to escape the will of the gods?
Dijini Lord
Their handiwork is present below just as it is above mortal.
Oedipus
I can remember now… what I was running from… why I came here… Zeus! God of gods! Save me from this infernal trap! Deliver me from this evil! Please listen!
Dijini Lord
You have already renounced those gods they will not help you now… burn fool!
[Oedipus is dragged down into the bowels of the earth and as he reaches out, screaming begging for mercy. Zeus, in the sky, above turns his back on him and closes the clouds.]




The End
© Copyright 2006 Jack Farlindun (alcapone at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1195388-Oedipus-Rex-Part-4